Daily Current Affairs 19th January 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 19th January 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 19th January 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 19th January 2023 Current affairs test.
1. NCERT Introduces ‘PARAKH’, India’s First National Assessment
- The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has announced PARAKH, touted as India’s first national assessment.
- Acronym for Performance Assessment, Review, and Analysis of Knowledge for Holistic Development, the oversight agency aims to standardize state-wide evaluations. This is to make student grades across states more comparable.
- Formulated as part of the NEP-2020 implementation, PARAKH seeks to guide school boards on the utilization of new assessment practices, based on contemporary research, and to facilitate collaboration among boards.
- Prioritizing comprehensive evaluation, in-school assessment, and standardized testing, PARAKH’s initial objective is to ensure consistent academic standards across India’s formally recognized schools.
- The body will set assessment standards for all boards to address disparities in student performance across state boards and will actively collaborate with state education departments, boards, and global assessment agencies.
2. Punjab to Launch ‘Schools of Eminence’ Program
- The Punjab government is set to roll out the ‘Schools of Eminence’ initiative, marking a significant stride in the education sector.
- Announced at the ISB in Mohali, the state plans to elevate existing public high schools into ‘Schools of Eminence’ for students from grades 9 to 12.
- Approximately 110 public schools will be conferred the ‘Schools of Eminence’ status in the initial phase of this government plan.
- For this endeavor, the Punjab government has earmarked a budget of Rs 200 crore.
Honours & Awards
3. Tamilnadu Mercantile Bank Honored at “Best Banks Survey 2022”
- The “Best Banks Survey for 2022” by Business Today-KPMG crowned Tamilnadu Mercantile Bank (TMB) as the Best Small Bank of 2022.
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari presented the award to S. Krishnan, the MD and CEO of TMB.
- TMB clinched the title in the category for banks with assets under 1 lakh crore.
- BT-KPMG annually conducts the “BT-KPMG Best Banks Survey”, awarding top-performing financial institutions based on 37 criteria.
4. NASA Awards Boeing $425 Million for Fuel-Efficient Aircraft Research
- Boeing has secured $425 million from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) for its sustainable flight demonstrator project.
- This funding, combined with Boeing and its partners’ contribution, will total an estimated $725 million. The consortium will design, test, and fly a full-scale demonstrator to validate technologies targeting reduced emissions.
5. Shubman Gill Outshines Records Set by Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli
- In a recent One Day International (ODI) match against New Zealand, Shubman Gill, at 23, scored a century, joining an elite list of Indian players to achieve this feat.
- Gill set multiple records, most notably becoming the fastest Indian to accumulate 1,000 runs in ODIs (in just 19 innings), surpassing previous record-holders Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli.
6. Shah Rukh Khan Ranks as the Fourth Richest Actor Globally
- According to the World of Statistics, Shah Rukh Khan stands as the fourth wealthiest actor in the world with a net worth of $770 million.
- Topping the list are Jerry Seinfeld and Tyler Perry, each with a net worth of $1 billion. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson follows closely with $800 million.
7. Lucile Randon, the Oldest Documented Individual, Passes Away at 118
- French nun Lucile Randon, recognized as the world’s oldest living individual, passed away at the age of 118.
- Having taken holy orders in 1944 as Sister André Randon, she was born on February 11, 1904, in Southern France and passed peacefully in Toulon.
- Following the death of Ken Tanaka, previously the world’s oldest person at 119 years in 2022, Sister Lucille Randon was officially recognized by the Guinness World Records as the oldest living person in April 2022.