Daily Current Affairs 2nd 3rd May 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 2nd 3rd May 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 2nd 3rd May 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 2nd 3rd May 2020 Current affairs test.
1. New Geographical Indication tag
- Black rice of Manipur
- Gorakhpur Terracotta
- Kadalai Mittai of Kovilpatt
- A geographical indication is a name or sign used on products which corresponds to a specific geographical location or origin.
- Darjeeling tea became the first GI tagged product in India, in 2004–2005.
2. ‘Year of Awareness on Science & Health (YASH)’ Initiative
- National Council for Science & Technology Communication and Department of Science & Technology have launched ‘Year of Awareness on Science & Health (YASH)’ Initiative with focus on COVID-19.
- Minister of Science and Technology: Harsh Vardhan.
3. First state in country to provide free and cashless insurance premium to people of the state
- Maharashtra has become first state in India to provide free and cashless insurance premium to people of the state.
- 100% inclusion of population from the state will be provided free health treatment under the Mahatma JyotibaPhule Jan Aarogya Yojana.
Science and Technology News
1. Kisan Sabha App
- Kisan Sabha App has been developed by CSIR-Central Road Research Institute (CSIR-CRRI).
- Aim: To connect farmers to supply chain and freight transportation management system.
- Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Minister: Narendra Singh Tomar.
1. International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics
- Jacqueline d’Arros Hughes has taken charge as Director-General of the Hyderabad-based International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT).
- The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics is an international organization which conducts agricultural research for rural development, headquartered in Patancheru with several regional centers and research stations.
2. New MD and CEO of Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India
- Japanese auto major Honda Motor has appointed Atsushi Ogata as new CEO and MD of Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India.
- Honda: Headquarters : Minato, Tokyo, Japan || Toshiaki Mikoshiba : chairman
3. New Secretaries Appointments
- Arvind Kumar Sharma has been appointed as Secretary to MSME Ministry
- Giridhar Aramane has been appointed as Secretary to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Minister for Road Transport and Highways and MSMEs: Nitin Jairam Gadkari.
1. World Press Freedom Day
- The United Nations General Assembly declared May 3 to be World Press Freedom Day.
- Aim: To raise awareness of the importance of freedom of the press and remind governments of their duty to respect and uphold the right to freedom of expression enshrined under Article 19 of the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Theme: Journalism without Fear or Favour
2. World Tuna Day
- World Tuna Day is observed globally on 2nd May.
- Aim: To raise awareness about the importance of tuna fish.
- A tuna is a saltwater fish that belongs to the tribe Thunnini, a subgrouping of the Scombridae family. The Thunnini comprise 15 species across five genera, the sizes of which vary greatly, ranging from the bullet tuna up to the Atlantic bluefin tuna.
1. Denis Goldberg passes away
- Veteran South African anti-apartheid activist Denis Goldberg has passed away.
- Denis Theodore Goldberg was a South African social campaigner, who was active in the struggle against apartheid. He was accused No. 3 in the Rivonia Trial, alongside the better-known Nelson Mandela and WalterSisulu, where he was also the youngest of the defendants.
Award, Rankings and Indexes
1. Top State in providing employment to workers under MGNREGS
- Chhattisgarh has topped the list of states in providing employment under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme
- 2nd Rajasthan
- 3rd Uttar Pradesh
- Mahatma Gandhi Employment Guarantee Act 2005, is an Indian labour law and social security measure that aims to guarantee the ‘right to work’. This act was passed in September 2005.
2. Order of the Rising Sun Award
- Doctor Thangjam Dhabali Singh from Manipur has been conferred the ‘Order of Rising Sun’ by the Japan.
- The Order of the Rising Sun is a Japanese order, established in 1875 by Emperor Meiji. The Order was the first national decoration awarded by the Japanese government, created on 10 April 1875 by decree of the Council of State. The badge features rays of sunlight from the rising sun.
3. Nikkei Asia Prize 2020
- IIT Madras Professor Thalappil Pradeep has been awarded for the Nikkei Asia Prize 2020.
- The Nikkei Asia Prize is an award which recognizes the achievements of people and organizations that have improved the lives of people throughout Asia. The awards were created and presented by Nikkei Inc, one of the largest media corporations in Japan.
1. Fed Cup Heart Award
- Indian tennis player Sania Mirza has become the first Indian to be nominated for the Fed Cup Heart Award.
- She has been nominated from the Asia/Oceania zone along with Indonesia’s Priska Medelyn Nugrorho.
2. #WeWillWin Campaign
- FIFA has launched #WeWillWin campaign to pay tribute to health workers.
- President of FIFA: Gianni Infantino || Founded: 21 May 1904 || Headquarters: Zurich, Switzerland.
3. ICC Test rankings
- 1. Australia with 116 points
- 2. New Zealand with 115 points
- 3. India with 114 points
- India lose top spot in ICC Test rankings for first time since October 2016.
- ICC: Chairperson: Shashank Manohar || Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates || CEO: Manu Sawhney
4. New Zealand Cricketer of the year award
- Ross Taylor bagged the Sir Richard Hadlee Medal thus winning the prestigious New Zealand Cricketer of the Year award.
- New Zealand: Prime minister: Jacinda Ardern || Capital: Wellington || Currency :New Zealand dollar
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,2nd 3rd May