Daily Current Affairs 02 February 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 2 February 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 2 February 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 2 February 2018 Current affairs test.
1.The 7th India Energy Congress held in Delhi.
- The 7th India Energy Congress was held in New Delhi. The theme of the 7th edition of India Energy Congress is ‘Energy 4.0: Energy Transition Towards 2030’.
- The India Energy Congress is the flagship event of World Energy Council India(WEC India) and joint event of ministries of power, coal, new & renewable energy, petroleum 7 Natural Gas, external affairs and Department of Atomic Energy.
2.Shesh Anand Madhukar has been awarded Sahitya Akademi’s Bhasha Samman.
- Magahi writer Shesh Anand Madhukar has been working extensively for the development of the language, was honoured with this year’s Sahitya Akademi Bhasha Samman Award.
- He is the second writer of Magahi Language to be given this award. Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari is the president of Sahitya Akademi.
3.Neelam Kapoor is appointed as DG of Sports Authority of India.
- Indian Information Service(IIS) officer Neelam Kapoor was appointed as Director General of Sports Authority of India(SAI).
- It is the first time that an IIS officer has been appointed as SAI chief. The post is usually held by an IAS officer.
4.An MoU has been signed by Cochin Shipyard Limited and USC Russia.
- An MoU has been signed by Cochin Shipyard Limited(CSL) and Joint Company United Shipbuilding Corporation(USC), Russia to collaborate and engage in Design, Development and Execution of contemporary, State-of-Art vessels for Inland and Coastal Waterways.
- It also plans to develop ecofriendly and economic transportation along India’s inland waterways and coastal shipping routes under SAGARMALA. The concept of Sagarmala was approved by the Union Cabinet in 2015.
1.World’s Longest Zip Line has been launched by UAE.
- The world’s longest zip line, measuring 2.83 km in length, has been made by the United Arab Emirates.
- The Guinness World Records officials certified the zip line in Ras al-Khaimah.
2.Rwanda, first poor country to provide eye care for all.
- Rwanda has become the first low-income country to provide universal eye care for its 12 million population.
- A partnership is done with the organization Vision for a Nation(VFAN) to train more than 3,000 eye care nurses based in 502 local health centers, prescribing glasses and referring those with serious eye problems to national clinics.
3.Illegal drug sales to be added in GDP calculation in France.
- France will include the sales of illegal drugs in its GDP calculations in compliance with EU rules that require all bloc members to account for such revenues.
- This move will only marginally increase France’s GDP by adding a few billion euros, officials said.
4.US is pushing the whole world towards nuclear war: N Korea.
- In a letter to the UN, N Korea said that the US is pushing the whole world towards a nuclear war.
- N Korean Foreign Minister urged UN to stop the US from deploying military equipment and conducting joint drills in the N Korean region.
1.Capital infusion of Rs. 173 cr has been received by IOB from government.
- Indian Overseas Bank(IOB) has received Rs. 173.06 crores capital infusion from the government in the current fiscal.
- Headquarters of IOB are at Chennai and R. Subramaniakumar is the Managing Director.
2.Market value of Alibaba falls by $30 bn after margins decline.
- The market capitalization of Alibaba fell about $30 billion after investments in brick-and-mortar assets and digital media squeezed profit margins in the Dec quarter.
- Alibaba shares plunged as much as 5.9%, the sharpest decline in 18 months.
3.Cryptocurrency market has lost $100 bn in market capitalization in 24 hours.
- From an all-time high of $835.5 billion in January, the market valuation of all cryptocurrencies now stands at $390 billion.
- All major cryptocurrencies fell about 15-30% after India’s Finance Ministry announced the country wants to eliminate the use of cryptocurrencies in criminal activities.
4.Sensex crashes 840 points a day after budget.
- A day after the budget was unveiled, the benchmark index BSE Sensex closed nearly 840 points down at 35,067.
- The NSE Nifty closed 256 points lower at 10,760.
1.Mary Kom won Gold in India Open International Boxing Tournament.
- The five-time World Champion MC Mary Kom claimed the gold medal in 48kg weight category in the India Open International Boxing tournament at Thyagraj Indoor stadium in New Delhi.
- Pinki Rani also won Gold in the final of fly 48-51 kg category.
2.Five Indian doubles pairs in quarters at India Open.
- In ongoing India Open Super 500 tournament, as many as five pairs of badminton doubles pairs have reached the quarterfinal stage.
- PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap and Sameer Verma have reached the quarterfinal stage of the tournament. K Srikanth was knocked out of the India Open.
3.Kohli now has ODI tons in all 9 countries he has played in.
- After scoring his first ODI century in South Africa, Virat Kohli now has scored ODI tons in all the 9 countries he has played in.
- Notably, Kohli hasn’t played in Pakistan yet.