Daily Current Affairs 2 January 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 2 January 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 2 January 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 2 January 2018 Current affairs test.
1. Kolkata to get its first floating market
- ‘The Floating Market of Patuli’ is likely to be open for public in January.
- The market will house over 200 shops.
2. 2.9 lakh doctors go on a strike against NMC Bill
- The doctors from across the country’s private hospitals are opposing the National Medical Commission Bill.
- Doctors claim the bill, seeking to replace the Medical Council of India with a new body is anti-poor.
3. India ranks third in world in nanotechnology: Harsh Vardhan
- Union Minister of Science Harsh Vardhan was addressing an event commemorating scientist SN Bose’s 125th birth anniversary.
- He said that India is fifth in terms of scientific publications.
4. Delhi Police to learn foreign languages
- They are planning to provide better assistance to foreign nationals by learning Russian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese and French besides English.
- They are taught basic words and sentences of foreign languages.
1. UN Chief issues global ‘red alert’
- In his New Year’s message, Antonio Guterres has pointed out that 2017 was marked by conflicts and new dangers.
- He further urged the world leaders to bridge the divides and rebuild trust by bringing people together.
2. California legalises sale of marijuana
- The US State of California has legalised the sale of recreational marijuana 20 years after legalising its medical use.
- It has become the 6th US state to do so, however, the cannabis remains classified as an illegal narcotic under the US law.
3. US mulls H-1B visa changes
- The US administration is considering a proposal to end the provision of granting extensions to H-1B visa holders whose applications for Green Card had been pending.
- 7.5 lakh Indian H-1B visa holders could be deported from the US if the proposal gets implemented.
1. Saudi Arabia, UAE introduce VAT
- This comes as the Gulf nations aim to diversify their revenue generation from sources other than oil and cope with low oil prices.
- Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman and Qatar have also committed to introducing VAT.
2. E-commerce sites must show MRP
- The Centre has made it mandatory for the firms to display the maximum retail price on goods from today.
- The companies have to display manufacturing and expiry date, net quantity, country of origin and consumer care details on the label.
3. Foreign bank ATMs in India fell 18%
- The number has fell from 1141 to 934 over the last 3 years.
- The reason for the reduction is mainly due to the banks closing their retail operations in India.
1. S Korea offers talks with N Korea on Olympics participation
- The talks are with respect to the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in South Korea.
- This comes after Kim Jong-un said that the nation could send a delegation to S Korea to take part in the games.
2. Manchester United beat Everton
- Manchester United defeated Everton 2-0 to register their first victory after 3 successive draws in the Premier League.
- United moved to the 2nd place and are 12 points behind the city rivals Manchester City.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz, 2 January