Daily Current Affairs 2 January 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 2 January 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 2 January 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 2 January 2019 Current affairs test.
1. MNJ Institute of Oncology and Regional Cancer Centre
- MNJ Institute of Oncology and Regional Cancer Centre in Hyderabad has noted for the Guinness Book of World Records.
- It organised the largest men’s Health Awareness programme on prostate cancer on a single day.
2. New chairman of Railway Board
- VK Yadav has been appointed new chairman of Railway Board.
- He will replace Ashwani Lohani.
3. Restructuring of National Health Agency as “National Health Authority”
- Govt. will do the Restructuring of National Health Agency as “National Health Authority”.
- The main purpose is for better implementation of Pradhan Mantri-Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY).
4. Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana has achieved 6 crore mark.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for providing LPG connections to women from Below Poverty Line (BPL) households.
- Under the scheme, five crore LPG connections are to be provided to BPL households. The identification of eligible BPL families will be made in consultation with the State Governments and the Union Territories. BPL is a person/ household who suffers from at least one deprivation under the Socio-Economic Caste census (SECC) – 2011 Database.
5. DRDO day
- Defence Research and Development Organisation celebrated its establishment day on 1st January.
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation is an agency of the Republic of India, charged with the military’s research and development, headquartered in New Delhi, India.
1. MoU between India and Morocco
- Cabinet has apprised of MoU between India and Morocco on Cooperation in the area of Cyber Security.
- Morocco, a North African country bordering the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea, is distinguished by its Berber, Arabian and European cultural influences. Marrakesh’s medina, a mazelike medieval quarter, offers entertainment in its Djemaa el-Fna square and souks (marketplaces) selling ceramics, jewellery and metal lanterns. The capital Rabat’s Kasbah of the Udayas is a 12th-century royal fort overlooking the water.
2. Lawrence Roberts passes away
- Larry Roberts who was the program manager for The Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPAnet) has passed away.
- Lawrence Gilman Roberts was an American scientist who received the Draper Prize in 2001 “for the development of the Internet”, and the Principe de Asturias Award in 2002.
3. 52nd World Day of Peace
- The World Day of Peace is a feast day of the Roman Catholic Church dedicated to universal peace, held on 1 January, the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.
- Theme :- ‘Good Politics is at the Service of Peace’
- It is different from International Day of Peace.The International Day of Peace is observed annually on 21 September.
4. GAFA tax
- France has introduced GAFA tax on global internet technology firms such as likes of Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon.
- The aim is to ensure these companies pay a fair share of taxes on their massive businesses in Europe.
1. Shikha Sharma retires
- Axis Bank’s Managing Director and CEO Shikha Sharma has retired.
- She will be replaced by Amitabh Chaudhry, effective January 1, 2019.
2. The provision coverage ratio (PCR)
- Provision coverage ratio of PSU banks is on the rise and crossed the 66% mark.
- The provision coverage ratio (PCR) gives an indication of the provision made against bad loans from the profit generated. Higher the PCR, lower is the unexposed part of the bad debts.
3. Capital Infusion in PSB
- Government will infuse Rs 10,086 crore in Bank of India.
- Government will infuse Rs 3,076 crore in UCO Bank.
4. Cred – Pay credit card bills Mobile App
- Kunal Shah(The Founder of Freecharge) has launched CRED that allows users to keep track of due dates of multiple credit cards and pay their credit card bills in one place.
- FreeCharge is an e-commerce and fintech company headquartered in Gurgaon. It provides online facility to recharge any prepaid mobile phone, postpaid mobile, DTH & Data Cards in India.
1. Mubadala title
- Novak Djokovic (Serbia) has defeated Kevin Anderson (South Africa) to win the Mubadala World Tennis Championship
- Mubadala World Tennis Championship was held at Abu Dhabi International Tennis Centre, Abu Dhabi.
2. Hopman Cup 2019
- The Hopman Cup is an annual international eight-team indoor hardcourt tennis tournament held in Perth, Western Australia in early January (sometimes commencing in late December) each year, which plays mixed-gender teams on a country-by-country basis.
- The championship is named in honour of Harry Hopman (1906–1985), an Australian tennis player and coach who guided the country to 15 Davis Cup titles between 1938 and 1969.
- Roger Federer’s Switzerland beat Serena Williams’ USA as the two tennis greats met on court for the first time at the Hopman Cup in Perth, Australia.
- Switzerland is the most recent champion.
3. Ramakant Achrekar passes away
- Ramakant Vithal Achrekar was an Indian cricket coach from Mumbai. He was most famous for coaching young cricketers at Shivaji Park in Dadar, Mumbai, most notably Sachin Tendulkar. He has also been a selector for Mumbai cricket team.