Daily Current Affairs 2 March 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 2 March 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 2 March 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 2 March 2018 Current affairs test.
1.Centre approves Rs.2900 crore to make cities safer for women.
- Women and Child Development Ministry has approved projects worth over Rs.2900 crore under the Nirbhaya Fund for 8 major cities to make them safer for women. The Nirbhaya Fund was set up in the aftermath of the gruesome gang-rape and murder of paramedical student in Delhi in 2012.
- These cities are Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Lucknow.
2.Maharashtra govt ties up with Wikipedia to promote Marathi.
- To promote Marathi globally and increase its online usage, the Maharashtra govt has announced a collaboration with online encyclopaedia Wikipedia.
- The move is aimed at providing Marathi-speaking people a single platform to interact and help reach Maharashtrians who have settled abroad.
3.NHAI to deploy all-female toll staff on Women’s Day.
- On the occasion of International Women’s Day on 8th March, the National Highways Authority of India(NHAI) will deploy an all-female staff in at least one of its toll booths in each state across the nation.
- The Road Transport and Highways Ministry said, the initiative will be implemented across all NHAI toll booths if found successful.
4.Ban on diesel generators, brick furnaces lifted in Delhi.
- The Environment Pollution Control Authority lifted the ban on diesel generators, brick furnaces and coal-based power plants in Delhi.
- The measures were imposed last year to combat high air pollution levels.
1.Pakistan offers to mediate in Afghanistan’s-Taliban talks.
- Pakistan has offered to mediate in talks between the Afghan govt and Taliban militant group. This comes after Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said that his govt was willing to recognize the Taliban as a political group to bring an end to the 16-year-long war.
- Notably, the US and Afghanistan have accused Pakistan of providing shelter to Taliban militants.
2.50 MPs sleep on streets to highlight the homelessness in France.
- To highlight the problem of homelessness in the country, as many as 50 French MPs from the Ile-de-France region slept on the streets in Paris.
- This comes after bodies of two homeless people who died due to cold were discovered in France earlier this week.
3.Can’t confirm reports of Nirav Modi’s presence in the country: US.
- The US govt said that it is unable to confirm reports of Nirav Modi’s presence in the country.
- This comes after reports recently suggested that Nirav Modi was seen in New York.
4.White House morale is terrible: Ex-Communications Director.
- After Hope Hicks resigned from the post, former Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci said that morale inside the White House was terrible.
- He predicts that more aides of Donald Trump will resign in the near future as rule by fear and intimidation does not work in a civilian environment.
1.World’s 500 richest lose more than Netflix’s m-cap in 4 days.
- The world’s 500 richest people have lost a combined 128 billion dollars, more than the market capitalisation of Netflix or McDonald’s.
- Berkshire Hathaway Chairman Warren Buffett saw the biggest decline of 3.74 billion dollars, followed by Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who lost 3.71 billion dollars.
2.Whatsapp refuses to share user data with SEBI.
- On the grounds of privacy, Whatsapp has refused to share user data with Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI).
- This comes after the market regulator asked Whatsapp to provide information over leak of financial details of 24 companies on the instant messaging app.
3.Bill to seize assets of defaulters feeing India cleared by Govt.
- The Union Cabinet has cleared a bill allowing authorities to confiscate all assets of economic defaulters who flee the country, even if they aren’t convicted.
- The bill was reportedly hastened after the PNB scam accused Nirav Modi fled the country and refused to cooperate with investigations.
4.SBI hikes lending rate to 8.15%.
- The State Bank raised its lending rates by 20 basis points to 8.15% with immediate effect setting the tone for the industry to follow suit. This is likely to make home and car loans costlier.
- This is the first lending revision by the bank since April 2016.
1.Russia’s Olympic membership restored by IOC.
- Russia’s Olympic membership has been restored by International Olympic Committee(IOC) with immediate effect following its suspension from the Winter Olympics at Pyeongchang in S Korea.
- Russia was banned from February’s games by the IOC over state-sponsored doping.
2.99-year-old swims to break world record.
- A 99-year-old Australian swimmer broke the world record for the 100-104 age category in the 50m freestyle.
- George Corones, who turns 100 in April, completed the 50m freestyle in 56.12 seconds, surpassing the previous record of 1 min 16 sec set by late Canadian swimmer Jaring Timmerman in 2009.