Daily Current Affairs 20 August 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 20 August 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 20 August 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 20 August 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman
- President Kovind has awarded Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman to scholars for year 2019.
- The MaharshiBadrayan Vyas Samman distinction is conferred on persons once a year in recognition of their substantial contribution in the field of Sanskrit, Persian, Arabic, Pali, Prakrit, Classical Oriya, Classical Kannada, Classical Telugu and Classical Malayalam.
- The award introduced in the year 2002, is given to selected young scholars in the age group of 30 to 45 years. The Presidential award carries a certificate of honour, a memento and a one time cash prize of Rs.1 lakh.
2. School Fagadaba scheme
- Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh has launched ‘School Fagadaba’ Scheme.
- Aim: To improve the infrastructure of government schools in the state.
- Governor of Manipur: Padmanabha Balkrishna Acharya.
3. Jal Jeevan Mission
- Government of India will launch a scheme titled ‘Jal Jeevan Mission’ to bring piped water to households by 2024.
- The Prime Minister has proposed Rs 3.5 lakh crore towards this mission.
4. Jagannath Mishra passes away
- Former Bihar Chief Minister Jagannath Mishra has passed away.
- Jagannath Mishra was an Indian politician who served as Chief Minister of Bihar and a minister in the Union cabinet. Involved at a high level in the Indian National Congress, he was elected Chief Minister of Bihar three times.
1. World Adolescent Robotics Contest 2019
- The World Adolescent Robotics Contest (WARC) 2019 was held in China.
- A team of three 12-year-old students Aadil Sengupta, Hriday Harin Parikh and Shreyans Bohora from Vadodara in Gujarat has won silver medals at the Event.
- WARC 2019 is an annual robotics competition held under the aegis of the World Robotics Olympiad Association.
2. India is the top emitter of sulphur dioxide
- According to NGO Greenpeace, India, India is the world’s top emitter of anthropogenic sulphur dioxide with more than 15% of all SO2 hotspots.
- It is tracked by NASA’s Ozone Monitoring Instrument satellite.
- Norilsk smelter complex in Russia is the largest SO2 emission hotspot in the world
- Sulphur dioxide is the chemical compound with the formula SO ₂. It is a toxic gas responsible for the smell of burnt matches. It is released naturally by volcanic activity and is produced as a by-product of copper extraction and the burning of fossil fuels contaminated with sulphur compounds.
- Greenpeace: Formation: 1969 || Headquarters :Amsterdam, Netherlands
3. Biopic ‘100 years of Chrysostom’
- Biopic ‘100 years of Chrysostom’ from Kerala India, has entered Guinness book of records
- Biopic ‘100 years of Chrysostom’ of length 48 hour and 8 minutes has broken the documentary length of Saudi Arabian documentary ‘World of Snakes’ of 21-hour length.
1. JC Bose Fellowship for 2019
- K Thangaraj has bagged J C Bose Fellowship 2019 for his contribution in the field of population and medical genomics.
- K Thangaraj is the chief scientist at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, Telangana.
2. MD-CEO of Vodafone Idea
- Ravinder Takkar has been appointed as the MD and CEO of Idea-Vodafone replacing Balesh Sharma.
- Vodafone Idea Limited is an Indian telecom operator with its headquarter based in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Vodafone Idea is a pan-India integrated GSM operator offering 2G, 3G and 4G VoLTE mobile services under two brands named Vodafone and Idea.
1. Chennai City FC with uhlsport
- Chennai City FC has announced a strategic partnership with German Sports Goods Supplier ‘uhlsport’.
- Chennai City Football Club is an Indian football club based in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- Chennai City compete as a member of the I-League, under license from All India Football Federation. The club was established in 1946 as Netaji Sports Club
- Chennai City FC had agreed for a partnership with FC Basel who now owns 26 percent of the club and would develop football in the state by building football schools for young talents.
2. World Youth Chess Championship
- Mumbai will host the World Youth Chess Championship in October 2019.
- World’s 4th-youngest Grandmaster Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa will take part in the tournament.
3. 2019 BWF World Championships
- The Total 2019 BWF World Championships is a badminton tournament which is held from 19 to 25 August at St. Jakobshalle in Basel, Switzerland.
- Basel was chosen to be the host of the 2019 edition of the championships over 2020 Summer Olympics host city, Tokyo.
- The bid was approved by the Badminton World Federation during a council meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
4. Asian Athletics Association’s Athletes Commission member
- PT Usha has been appointed as Asian Athletics Association’s Athletes Commission member.
- PT Usha is a retired Indian track and field athlete. She has been associated with Indian athletics since 1979. She is often called the “queen of Indian track and field”.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,20 August
- Daily Current Affairs: August 1
- Daily Current Affairs: August 2
- Daily Current Affairs: August 3
- Daily Current Affairs: August 4
- Daily Current Affairs: August 5
- Daily Current Affairs: August 6
- Daily Current Affairs: August 7
- Daily Current Affairs: August 8
- Daily Current Affairs: August 9
- Daily Current Affairs: August 10
- Daily Current Affairs: August 11
- Daily Current Affairs: August 12
- Daily Current Affairs: August 13
- Daily Current Affairs: August 14
- Daily Current Affairs: August 15
- Daily Current Affairs: August 16
- Daily Current Affairs: August 17
- Daily Current Affairs: August 18
- Daily Current Affairs: August 19
- Daily Current Affairs: August 20
- Daily Current Affairs: August 21
- Daily Current Affairs: August 22
- Daily Current Affairs: August 23
- Daily Current Affairs: August 24
- Daily Current Affairs: August 25
- Daily Current Affairs: August 26
- Daily Current Affairs: August 27
- Daily Current Affairs: August 28
- Daily Current Affairs: August 29
- Daily Current Affairs: August 30
- Daily Current Affairs: August 31