Daily Current Affairs 20 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 20 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 20 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 20 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Drought Advisory to six states
- Government of India has issued a ‘drought advisory’ to six states named Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Tamil Nadu.
- It was due to water storage in dams dropped to a ‘critical level’.
- Central Water Commission always issues drought advisory whenever the water level in reservoirs is 20% less.
- Central Water Commission is a premier Technical Organisation in the country in the field of water resources and is charged with the general responsibilities of initiating, coordinating and furthering, in consultation with the State Governments concerned, schemes for control, conservation and utilization of water.
2. ‘Not all animals migrate by choice’ Campaign
- Campaign ‘Not all animals migrate by choice’ was launched by UN Environment India and Wildlife Crime Control Bureau of India.
- Wildlife Crime Control Bureau a statutory body established by the Government of India to combat wildlife crime. It was constituted through the Wild Life Amendment Act, 1972 and received its on 6 June 2007. It became operational in 2008.
- National Statement of India at the third session of the United Nations Environment Assembly. Delivered by Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Science & Technology & Earth Sciences.
3. WPI-based inflation for April 2019
- Wholesale Price Index-based inflation for April 2019 eased to 3.07%, from 3.62% in April 2018.
- The Wholesale Price Index is the price of a representative basket of wholesale goods. Some countries use WPI changes as a central measure of inflation. But now India has adopted new CPI to measure inflation. However, United States now report a producer price index instead.
1. ‘Christchurch Call to Action’
- To combat online extremism, India has decided to sign an international call initiated by the governments of France and New Zealand along with top social media companies after the Christchurch attacks.
- The document called “Christchurch Call To Action” was signed and adopted with participation from 26 nations, including France, New Zealand, European Commission, Ireland, Norway, Senegal, Canada, Jordan, UK, Indonesia, Australia, Germany, Japan, Spain, Netherlands, Sweden and India.
- Among the social media companies and IT enterprises were: Microsoft, Qwant, Daily Motion, Google, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and Amazon.
- India was represented by the Secretary, Ministry of Information and Technology, Ajay Prakash Sawhney.
2. Council of European Chambers of Commerce (CEUCC) in India
- Actor Anil Kapoor was felicitated by the Council of European Chambers of Commerce (CEUCC) in India.
- Established in 1958 as a direct response to the creation of the European Economic Community, EUROCHAMBRES acts as the eyes, ears and voice of the business community at EU level.
- EUROCHAMBRES represents over 20 million businesses in Europe through 46 members (42 national associations of chambers of commerce and industry and two transnational chamber organisations) and a European network of 1700 regional and local chambers.
- More than 93% of these businesses are small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs). Chambers’ member businesses employ over 120 million.
3. Tim Conway passes away
- Toma Daniel “Tim” Conway was an American actor, comedian, and filmmaker. He portrayed the inept Ensign Parker in the 1960s World War II situation comedy McHale’s Navy.
- He was a core member of the “The Carol Burnett Show” troupe.
4. Mi-24 attack helicopters
- India has delivered first pair of Mi-24 attack helicopters to the Afghan Air Force to counter insurgency and fight against terrorism.
- Capital: Kabul || Recognised regional languages: Uzbek, Turkmen, Balochi, Pashai, Nuristani, Pamiri
- Currency: Afghan afghani || President: Ashraf Ghani || Official languages: Pashto, Dari
1. Nandan Nilekani Committee
- RBI-appointed committee headed by Nandan Nilekani has submitted its suggestions on promoting digital payments.
- The report has submitted to RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das.
- Nandan Nilekani is an Indian entrepreneur, bureaucrat and politician. He co-founded Infosys and is the non-executive chairman of Infosys replacing R Seshasayee and Ravi Venkatesan, who were the co-chairs of the board, on 24 August 2017.
2. New MD and CEO of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank has appointed Nitin Chugh as its next MD and CEO.
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Headquarters: Bengaluru
3. Tech Mahindra with Rakuten Aquafadas
- Tech Mahendra signed an MoU with French based digital content publishing firm Rakuten Aquafadas.
- The aim is to collaborate on building enhanced customer experience offerings.
- Tech Mahendra :- Headquarter: Pune, Maharashtra || CEO: C.P. Gurnani
4. ‘Mumbai Local Train Cover’
- Bajaj Finserv has launched a specialised insurance cover ‘Mumbai Local Train Cover’ for passengers travelling in local trains in Mumbai.
- Bajaj Finserv, a part of Bajaj Holdings & Investments Limited, is an Indian financial services company focused on lending, asset management, wealth management and insurance.
1. Indian Wheelchair Cricket
- Social Media Platform ‘Helo’ has become team sponsor of Indian Wheelchair Cricket
- It has announced its partnership with the Indian Wheelchair Cricket Association
2. Two new formats of Badminton
- Badminton World Federation has launched two new formats of Badminton named as Air Badminton & Triples.
- The Air Badminton will be an outdoor game.
- In new Triples format, the match will be played between a team of three players each with at least one female player in both the team.
- The Badminton World Federation is the international governing body for the sport of badminton recognised by the International Olympic Committee. Founded in 1934 as the International Badminton Federation with nine member nations, the BWF has since expanded to 176 member nations around the world.
3. Italian Open (Tennis) 2019
- The 76th edition of Italian Open which is also known as “Rome Masters” or “the Internazionali BNL d’Italia” was concluded at ForoItalico in Rome, Italy
- Winner Men’s Single:- Winner :- Rafael Nadal of Spain || Runner-up :- N. Djokovic of Serbia
- Women’s Singles :- Winner :-Czech Republic Karolína Plíšková || Runner-up :- Johanna Konta of England
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31