Daily Current Affairs 20 April 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 20 April 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 20 April 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try
20 April 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Jallianwala Bagh Poem ‘Khooni Vaisakhi’
- English translation of the 100-year-old Punjabi poem about Jallianwala Bagh massacre, ‘Khooni Vaisakhi’ has been released in Abu Dhabi.
- The poem is written by Nanak Singh.
- Nanak Singh, was a Punjabi poet, songwriter, and novelist. His literary works in support of India’s independence movement led the British to arrest him. He published novels that won him literary acclaim.
- The Jallianwala Bagh massacre, also known as the Amritsar massacre, took place on 13 April 1919 when troops of the British Indian Army under the command of Acting Brig-Gen Reginald Dyer fired rifles into a crowd of Punjabis who had gathered in Jallianwala Bagh, Amritsar, Punjab.
2. New Chairman of Export Promotion Council for Handicraft
- Ravinder Kumar Passi has been appointed as a new Chairman of Export Promotion Council for Handicraft (EPCH).
- Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH) was established under Companies Act in the year 1986-87 and is a non-profit organisation, with an object to promote, support, protect, maintain and increase the export of handicrafts.
- It is an apex body of handicrafts exporters for promotion of exports of Handicrafts from country and projected India’s image abroad as a reliable supplier of high quality of handicrafts goods & services and ensured various measures keeping in view of of observance of international standards and specification.
3. INS Imphal
- ‘INS Imphal’ is a guided missile destroyer and was launched by Indian Navy at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited in Mumbai.
- The Indian Navy is the naval branch of the Indian Armed Forces. The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Navy. The Chief of Naval Staff, a four-star admiral, commands the navy.
- The Chief of the Naval Staff is the commander and the highest-ranking officer in the Indian Navy. The position is abbreviated CNS in Indian Navy cables and communication, and usually held by a four-star officer in the rank of Admiral. The current CNS is Admiral Sunil Lanba.
1. Asteroid-Walloping Mission
- NASA has selected SpaceX to Launch Asteroid-Walloping Mission
- A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test spacecraft in June 2021.
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration is an independent agency of the United States Federal Government responsible for the civilian space program, as well as aeronautics and aerospace research. NASA was established in 1958, succeeding the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics.
- Space Exploration Technologies Corp., doing business as SpaceX, is a private American aerospace manufacturer and space transportation services company headquartered in Hawthorne, California.
2. Satellite ‘Raavana-1’
- The first satellite of Sri Lanka ‘Raavana-1’ was launched from NASA’s Flight Facility on Virginia.
- The satellite was built at the Kyushu Institute of Technology in Japan by two Sri Lankan research engineers.
- Sri Lanka :- Continent: Asia || Capitals: Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte || Currency: Sri Lankan rupee || Prime minister: Ranil Wickremesinghe
3. Exercise ‘Varuna’
- India and France will hold their largest-ever naval exercise ‘Varuna’ at Goa Coast.
- The inaugural Varuna naval exercise took place in 2001.
- The annually held Varuna naval exercise is an integral part of France–India strategic relationship in the 21st century and consists of naval cooperation drills between the French Navy and the Indian Navy.
- France :- Capital: Paris || President: Emmanuel Macron
4. Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS)
- Gagandeep Kang has become the first Indian female scientist to be elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in the United Kingdom.
- Professor Gagandeep Kang is the Executive Director of Translational Health Science and Technology Institute at Faridabad.
- Fellow of the Royal Society. Fellowship of the Royal Society (FRS, ForMemRS and HonFRS) is an award granted to individuals that the Royal Society of London judges to have made a ‘substantial contribution to the improvement of natural knowledge, including mathematics, engineering science and medical science’.
1. Bandhan Bank with Gruh Finance
- Bandhan Bank has received CCI approval to acquire Gruh Finance.
- Bandhan Bank Ltd. is an Indian banking and financial services company headquartered in Kolkata, West Bengal. Bandhan started in 2001 as a not-for-profit enterprise that stood for financial inclusion and women empowerment through sustainable livelihood creation.
- Headquarters: Kolkata | CEO: Chandra Shekhar Ghosh || Chairperson: Harun Rasid Khan || Founder: Chandra Shekhar Ghosh
2. Mahindra & Mahindra with Ford Motor
- Mahindra & Mahindra has signed an agreement with Ford Motor to jointly develop midsize Sports Utility Vehicles in India.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Limited is an Indian multinational car manufacturing corporation headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. It was established in 1945 as Mohammad & Mahindra and later renamed as Mahindra and Mahindra.
- Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker that has its main headquarter in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit.
- Ford Motor was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand.
3. Deutsche Bank India CEO
- Deutsche Bank has appointed Kaushik Shaparia as the CEO for India business replacing Ravneet Gill.
- Ravneet Gill is now the CEO of Yes Bank.
- Deutsche Bank AG is a German multinational investment bank and financial services company headquartered in Frankfurt, Germany.
- CEO: Christian Sewing || Headquarters: Frankfurt, Germany
4. ETMONEY App
- ETMONEY App has becomes India’s first comprehensive financial services app to integrate with UPI.
- Unified Payments Interface is an instant real-time payment system developed by National Payments Corporation of India facilitating inter-bank transactions. The interface is regulated by the Reserve Bank of India and works by instantly transferring funds between two bank accounts on a mobile platform.
- ET money app is a payment tracker app on a normal Android phone. The application helps the user to track all the daily ELECTRONIC transactions that take place. The application is also an investment app used to help people in investing their capital in investment options.
1. World Wrestling Rankings
- Bajrang Punia of India has regained world number one spot in men’s 65-kilogram freestyle category World Wrestling Rankings.
- Bajrang Punia has won Gold in the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games as well as a silver in the World Championships in 2018
2. Con de Lange passes away
- Scotland cricketer Con de Lange has passed away.
- Capital: Edinburgh || Currency: Pound sterling || Sovereign state Legal jurisdiction: United Kingdom; Scotland
3. 18th FIBA Basket Ball World Cup
- The 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup will be the 18th tournament of the FIBA Basketball World Cup for men’s national basketball teams. The tournament will be hosted in China.
- Yan Xu’s design, a Chinese Dragon-inspired named Son of Dreams, was announced to be the winning mascot.
- The top eight teams, including Japan as the host of the 2020 Summer Olympics (and the top two teams from each of the Americas and Europe; and the top team from each of Africa, Asia and Oceania) in this competition will qualify for the men’s basketball event in the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
- Both the Czech Republic and Montenegro will make their first appearances in the FIBA World Cup as debutants.
- Daily Current Affairs: April 1
- Daily Current Affairs: April 2
- Daily Current Affairs: April 3
- Daily Current Affairs: April 4
- Daily Current Affairs: April 5
- Daily Current Affairs: April 6
- Daily Current Affairs: April 7
- Daily Current Affairs: April 8
- Daily Current Affairs: April 9
- Daily Current Affairs: April 10
- Daily Current Affairs: April 11
- Daily Current Affairs: April 12
- Daily Current Affairs: April 13
- Daily Current Affairs: April 14
- Daily Current Affairs: April 15
- Daily Current Affairs: April 16
- Daily Current Affairs: April 17
- Daily Current Affairs: April 18
- Daily Current Affairs: April 19
- Daily Current Affairs: April 20
- Daily Current Affairs: April 21
- Daily Current Affairs: April 22
- Daily Current Affairs: April 23
- Daily Current Affairs: April 24
- Daily Current Affairs: April 25
- Daily Current Affairs: April 26
- Daily Current Affairs: April 27
- Daily Current Affairs: April 28
- Daily Current Affairs: April 29
- Daily Current Affairs: April 30