Daily Current Affairs 20 June 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 20 June 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 20 June 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 20 June 2018 Current affairs test.
1. Arvind Subramanian to step down as the Chief Economic Advisor
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said in a Facebook post on Wednesday. “He would like to go back to the United States on account of pressing family commitments,”
- Subramanian’s extended term as the Chief Economic Advisor ends in October this year.
2. Punjab govt launched a mobile app named iHariyali to offer free saplings
- Punjab govt launched a mobile app named “i-Hariyali” under ‘Mission Tandarust’ to offer free saplings for users.
- The users can book a sampling of their choice, a maximum of 25 per person, from a nearby government nursery.
3. Vice President Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu to lead two-day National Consultation on Farm Sector issues
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu will inaugurate and participate in a two-day National Consultation on ‘Making Agriculture Sustainable and Profitable’, at Pune, Maharashtra . This Consultation is organized in the context of the ongoing debate and efforts at various levels to double farmers’ incomes by 2022
- Union Minister for Agriculture, Shri Radhamohan Singh, Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Shri Devendra Fadnavis, MP Shri Sharad Pawar, Prof. M.S. Swaminathn, experts and other stakeholders to attend brain storming in Pune
4. Shillong (Meghalaya) gets selected as the 100th Smart City
- Shillong, the capital city of Meghalaya has been selected as 100th Smart City after evaluating the proposal submitted by it.
- Total proposed investment in the finally selected 100 cities under the Smart Cities mission is now Rs. 2,05,018 crores
1. World Refugee Day
- Every year, World Refugee Day is held on 20th June to commemorate the strength, courage and perseverance of millions of refugees.
- The theme for World Refugee Day 2018 is ‘Now More Than Ever, We Need to Stand with Refugees’.
2. US scientists unveiled world’s most powerful and smartest scientific supercomputer
- US scientists have unveiled the world’s most powerful and smartest scientific supercomputer named “Summit” that can complete over 200,000 trillion calculations per second.
- This supercomputer called Summit will be eight times more powerful than its previous top-ranked system, Titan.
3. PM to lead 4th International Yoga Day Celebrations in Dehradun
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will lead the 4th International Yoga Day Celebrations in Dehradun on June 21, 2018.
- The Prime Minister will join thousands of volunteers, performing Yoga aasans in the lawns of Forest Research Institute, Dehradun, located in the lap of the Himalayas.
4. US withdraws from United Nations Human Rights Council
- The United States withdrew from the United Nations Human Rights Council, accusing it of a “chronic bias against Israel,” a move that activists warned would make advancing human rights globally even more difficult.
- The United Nations Human Rights Council consists of 47 member states, with a specific number of seats given to each region of the world. Members are elected by the U.N. General Assembly for three-year terms and cannot serve more than two terms in a row.
1. KVIC (Khaadi and Villege Industry Comission) adopts Jagatpur village in Delhi for Swachhata Abhiyaan
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has adopted Jagatpur village in Delhi for its Swachhata Abhiyaan. The sanitation drive by KVIC began with a plantation drive and ended with cleanliness drive along the bank of the Yamuna river.
- KVIC is also installing 20 park benches on the bank on Yamuna river. Under KVIC’s Swachhata Mission, the next cleanliness drive will bein Mumbai’s Juhu Beach.
2. Italy’s Osteria Francescana named world’s best restaurant
- Osteria Francescana in Italy’s Modena has topped the ‘World’s 50 Best Restaurants’ list for the second time. El Celler de Can Roca in Spain and Mirazur in France were ranked second and third respectively.
- The list, which debuted in 2002, is prepared by a panel of over 1,000 chefs, food writers and other experts from 26 geographical regions.
3. Ex-RBI Deputy Governor Rama Gandhi joins Paytm as Advisor
- One97 Communications, which runs Paytm, has appointed former RBI Deputy Governor Rama Subramaniam Gandhi as an advisor.
- Gandhi was a member of the first Monetary Policy Committee. He has also been the head of two regional offices of the Reserve Bank and held a charge as the Director of the Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT), Hyderabad
4. India announces 30 Gigawatt offshore wind energy target by 2030
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) today announced medium and long term offshore wind energy target of 5GW by 2022 and 30 GW by 2030, respectively, to provide confidence to the industry.
- The MNRE recently invited Expressions of Interest for the first 1 GW offshore wind project in India, which has evoked keen response from the industry, both global and Indian.
1. England registered new ODI record score of 481 against Australia
- England registered the highest-ever ODI total (481/6) in men’s cricket history and defeated Australia by 242 runs to take an unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-match series.
- The 242-run defeat was Australia’s heaviest-ever in ODIs. With this, England broke their own previous best of 444 runs which they registered against Pakistan in 2016 at the same venue.
2. The fastest red card in FIFA World Cup history
- The fastest red card in FIFA World Cup history came in the tournament’s 1986 edition when Uruguay’s defender Jose Batista was sent off after just 56 seconds for a rough tackle on Scotland’s Gordon Strachan during a group stage match.
- Colombia’s Carlos Sánchez became the first player to be sent off in the 2018 FIFA World Cup after being shown a straight red card against Japan . He was sent-off after two minutes and 56 seconds. It is the second fastest red card shown in World Cup history.
3. Senegal 1st African nation to win a match at 2018 FIFA WC
- Senegal became the first African nation to clinch a victory at the 2018 FIFA World Cup after defeating Poland 2-1 .
- The match was Senegal’s first in World Cup since 2002 and Poland’s first since 2006. Notably, Senegal’s head coach Aliou Cissé is the youngest manager in the current edition of the quadrennial tournament.
- Daily Current Affairs: June 1
- Daily Current Affairs: June 2
- Daily Current Affairs: June 3
- Daily Current Affairs: June 4
- Daily Current Affairs: June 5
- Daily Current Affairs: June 6
- Daily Current Affairs: June 7
- Daily Current Affairs: June 8
- Daily Current Affairs: June 9
- Daily Current Affairs: June 10
- Daily Current Affairs: June 11
- Daily Current Affairs: June 12
- Daily Current Affairs: June 13
- Daily Current Affairs: June 14
- Daily Current Affairs: June 15