Daily Current Affairs 20 May 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 20 May 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 20 May 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 20 May 2020 Current affairs test.
1. Special Postal Cover dedicated to Migrant Workers
- India Post has released a Special Postal Cover dedicated to the migrant workers.
- The Department of Posts, trading as India Post, is a government-operated postal system in India, which is a subsidiary of the Ministry of Communications. Generally called “the Post Office” in India, it is the most widely distributed postal system in the world.
- Director General of India Post: Arundhaty Ghosh.
2. CharanPaduka campaign
- Madhya Pradesh Government has launched CharanPaduka campaign for migrant labourers.
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon.
1. First bank in India to allow video KYC
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has become first bank in India to allow video KYC.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank is an Indian private sector bank headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. In February 2003, the Reserve Bank of India issued a banking licence to Kotak Mahindra Finance Ltd., the group’s flagship company.
- CEO: Uday Kotak || Headquarters: Mumbai
Science and Technology News
1. Landing Craft Utility Ship ‘INLCU L57’
- Landing Craft Utility Ship ‘INLCU L57’ commissioned into Indian Navy in Port Blair by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE).
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd, abbreviated as GRSE, is one of India’s leading shipyards, located in Kolkata, West Bengal. It builds and repairs commercial and naval vessels. Presently GRSE has also started building export ships in a mission to expand its business.
- Chief of Naval Staff: Admiral Karambir Singh.
1. New DG of National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO).
- Rajesh Goel has been appointed as the new Director General of National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO).
- National Real Estate Development Council: Established: 1998 || Headquarters: New Delhi.
2. Chairman of the WHO Executive Board
- Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan is set to take charge as chairman of the WHO Executive Board at its 147th session.
- He will succeed Dr Hiroki Nakatani of Japan, currently the Chairman of the 34-member WHO Executive Board.
- The Board chairman’s post is held by rotation for one year by each of the WHO’s six regional groups: African Region, Region of the Americas, South-East Asia Region, European Region, Eastern Mediterranean Region, and Western Pacific Region.
- The WHO is governed by two decision-making bodies — the World Health Assembly and the Executive Board. The agency’s headquarters are located at Geneva in Switzerland.
1. World Metrology Day
- World Metrology Day is an event occurring on 20 May celebrating the International System of Units.
- The date is the anniversary of the signing of the Metre Convention in 1875. Metrology is the study of measurement. The World Metrology Day project is currently realized jointly by the BIPM and the OIML.
- Theme: Measurements for Global Trade.
2. World Bee Day
- World Bee Day is celebrated on May 20. On this day Anton Janša, the pioneer of beekeeping, was born in 1734.
- The purpose of the international day is to acknowledge the role of bees and other pollinators for the ecosystem.
- Theme: ‘Save the Bees’.
Award, Rankings and Indexes
1. 2019 Alexander Dalrymple Award
- The National Hydrographer to the Government of India and Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar has been honoured with the 2019 Alexander Dalrymple Award.
- The Chief Hydrographer to the Government of India is the executive head of the Indian Naval Hydrographic Department. The Chief Hydrographer is generally held by a rear admiral or vice admiral from the Indian Navy.
- The Alexander Dalrymple Award is presented by the UK Ministry of Defence-sponsored UKHO in 2006, is named after the first Hydrographer of the Admiralty, Alexander Dalrymple.
1. Bundesliga resumes
- The Primary Football League of Germany Bundesliga has become first major sports event to resume post COVID-19 lockdown.
- The Bundesliga is a professional association football league in Germany and the football league with the highest average stadium attendance worldwide. At the top of the German football league system, the Bundesliga is Germany’s primary football competition.
- Current champion: FC Bayern Munich (28th title) || Most championships: Bayern Munich (28 titles) || Most appearances: Charly Körbel (602) || Top goalscorer: Gerd Müller (365) || Number of teams: 18
2. Powerlifters Savita Kumari and Ankit Shishodia
- National Anti-Doping Agency has suspended power-lifters Savita Kumari and Ankit Shishodia.
- National Anti-Doping Agency: CEO: Navin Agarwal || Headquarters: New Delhi
3. ICC to ban the use of saliva to shine ball
- International Cricket Council has recommended banning on the use of saliva to shine the ball.
- Chairman of ICC: Shashank Manohar || Chief Executive: Manu Sahney || Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,20 May