Daily Current Affairs 21 August 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 21 August 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 21 August 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 21 August 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Lemru Elephant Reserve
- Chattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel announced the formation of ‘Lemru Elephant Reserve’ in Korba, Chattisgarh.
- It is is aimed at minimizing human-elephant conflict and destruction of property in addition to providing a permanent habitat for them.
- Governor of Chattisgarh: Anusuiya Uikey
2. SarbatSehatBima Yojana
- Punjab Government has launched a universal health insurance scheme ‘SarbatSehatBima Yojana’ benefiting around 46 lakh families.
- It covers 76% of the state’s population.
- Annual cashless treatment up to Rs 5 lakh per family per year, including pre-existing diseases.
3. Babulal Gaur passes away
- Madhya Pradesh’s former Chief Minister and BJP leader Babulal Gaur has passed away.
- He was elected in 10 Assembly elections from the seat of Govindpura in Bhopal before retiring from electoral politics in 2018 due to old age.
4. Khayyam passes away
- Music Director-Composer Mohammed Zahur Khayyam has passed away.
- Khayyam was an Indian music director and background score composer whose career spanned four decades.
- He won three Filmfare Awards for Best Music in 1977 for KabhiKabhie and 1982 for UmraoJaan, and a lifetime achievement award in 2010.
5. Sadbhavana Diwas
- Sadbhavana Diwas/Harmony Day is observed on August 20 every year in remembrance of the youngest Prime Minister of India, Rajiv Gandhi.
- This year it is 75th birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi.
- Rajiv Gandhi was an Indian politician who served as the 6th Prime Minister of India from 1984 to 1989.
- He took office after the 1984 assassination of his mother, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, to become the youngest Indian Prime Minister at the age of 40.
1. Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff
- Qamar Javed Bajwa’s term has been extended as Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff.
- Pakistan Capital: Islamabad || PM: Imran Khan || President: ArifAlvi.
2. New Commander of the Sri Lankan Army
- Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva has been appointed as 23rd Commander of Sri Lankan Army.
- Sri Lanka: Prime Minister: Ranil Wickremesinghe || President: Maithripala Sirisena.
3. Indonesia’s New Capital
- Indonesian President Joko Widodo has formally proposed to parliament a plan to move the country’s capital from Jakarta to Borneo.
- Official language: Indonesian || Capital: Jakarta || Currency: Indonesian rupiah
4. World Mosquito Day
- World Mosquito Day is observed annually on 20 August.
- It is is a commemoration of British doctor Sir Ronald Ross’s discovery in 1897 that female mosquitoes transmit malaria between humans.
1. Maharashtra Airport Development Company with HCL Technologies
- HCL Technologies has signed an MoU with Maharashtra Airport Development Company.
- It is for expansion of its Multi-modal International Cargo Hub and Airport at Nagpur.
- HCL Technologies Limited is an Indian multinational information technology service and consulting company headquartered in Noida, Uttar Pradesh. It is a subsidiary of HCL Enterprise.
- CEO: C Vijayakumar || Headquarters: Noida || Founders: Shiv Nadar, Arjun Malhotra, Ajai Chowdhry, Yogesh Vaidya, D.S. Puri
2. RuPay in Bhutan
- Prime Minister Modi has launched RuPay Card in Bhutan by making a purchase at Simtokha Dzong.
- Reserve Bank of India and Royal Monetary Authority of Bhutan would integrate the financial switches of the two countries in order to simplify cross border transactions.
- RuPay card scheme was conceived and launched by National Payments Corporation of India on 26 March 2012.
- It was created to fulfil the Reserve Bank of India’s vision to have a domestic, open and multilateral system of payments. RuPay facilitates electronic payment at all Indian banks and financial institutions.
- Simtokha Dzong also known as Sangak Zabdhon Phodrang is a small dzong. It was built in 1629 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal, who unified Bhutan. It is the first of its kind built in Bhutan.
3. Indian Institute of Science with Wipro Technologies
- Wipro announced a partnership with IISc to set up ‘Wipro IISc Research and Innovation Network’.
- ‘Wipro IISc Research and Innovation Network’ will conduct advanced applied research in autonomous systems, robotics and 5G.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) is a public institute and deemed university for research and higher education in science and engineering, located in Bangalore
- Wipro Limited is an Indian multinational corporation that provides information technology, consulting and business process services. It is headquartered in Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
- CEO: Abidali Neemuchwala || Founder: M.H. Hasham Premji || Owner: Azim Premji
1. MCC Honorary Life member
- Former Australian bowler Mitchell Johnson has been elected as an Honorary Life Member of Marylebone Cricket Club.
- Marylebone Cricket Club is a cricket club founded in 1787 and based since 1814 at Lord’s Cricket Ground, which it owns, in St John’s Wood, London, England.
- The club was formerly the governing body of cricket in England and Wales and, as the sport’s legislator, held considerable global influence.
2. Ashley Cole retires
- Former Chelsea footballer Ashley Cole has announced his retirement.
- Ashley Cole is an English retired footballer who played as a left back, most recently for Championship club Derby County.
- Chelsea Football Club is an English professional football club. Founded in 1905, they compete in the Premier League, the top division of English football.
- Manager: Frank Lampard || Arena/Stadium: Stamford Bridge || Owner: Roman Abramovich || Location: Chelsea, London, United Kingdom
3. World Police and Fire Games 2019
- Assistant Inspector General in Vigilance Bureau of Punjab, Ashish Kapoor has won gold medals in both singles and doubles Tennis events in World Police and Fire Games 2019.
- The World Police and Fire Games (WPFG) 2019 was held at Chengdu in China.
- Daily Current Affairs: August 1
- Daily Current Affairs: August 2
- Daily Current Affairs: August 3
- Daily Current Affairs: August 4
- Daily Current Affairs: August 5
- Daily Current Affairs: August 6
- Daily Current Affairs: August 7
- Daily Current Affairs: August 8
- Daily Current Affairs: August 9
- Daily Current Affairs: August 10
- Daily Current Affairs: August 11
- Daily Current Affairs: August 12
- Daily Current Affairs: August 13
- Daily Current Affairs: August 14
- Daily Current Affairs: August 15
- Daily Current Affairs: August 16
- Daily Current Affairs: August 17
- Daily Current Affairs: August 18
- Daily Current Affairs: August 19
- Daily Current Affairs: August 20
- Daily Current Affairs: August 21
- Daily Current Affairs: August 22
- Daily Current Affairs: August 23
- Daily Current Affairs: August 24
- Daily Current Affairs: August 25
- Daily Current Affairs: August 26
- Daily Current Affairs: August 27
- Daily Current Affairs: August 28
- Daily Current Affairs: August 29
- Daily Current Affairs: August 30
- Daily Current Affairs: August 31