Daily Current Affairs 21 May 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 21 May 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 21 May 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 21 May 2020 Current affairs test.
1. UN agency for Palestinian refugee’s welfare
- India has given $2 million aid to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency working for the welfare of Palestinian refugees.
- The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East is an UN agency created in December 1949 to support the relief and human development of Palestinian refugees. The UNRWA definition of “refugee” covers Palestinian who fled or were expelled from their homes during the 1948 Palestine War.
- Headquarters location: Amman, Jordan || Commissioner-General: Christian Saunders
2. Prime Minister of Lesotho resigns
- Thomas Thabane has resigned as the Prime Minister of Lesotho.
- Lesotho : Capital: Maseru || Currency: Lesotho loti.
1. Gold Loan Business Vertical
- Canara Bank has launched a special Business Vertical dedicated to Gold Loans.
- Canara Bank: Headquarters: Bangalore || Chairman: T.N. Manoharan || MD and CEO: L.V. Prabhakar.
2. Special Liquidity Facility to co-op banks, RRBs
- Nabard has extended 20500-crore Special Liquidity Facility to co-operative banks (Rs 15200 crore) and Regional Rural Banks (Rs 5300 crore) in various States.
- Nabard: Founded: 12 July 1982 || Headquarters: Mumbai
1. Nourishco Beverages Limited
- A Tata Consumer Products will acquire PepsiCo’s stake in NourishCo Beverages Limited.
- Nourishco Beverages Limited: Founded: 2010 || Parent organizations: Tata Global Beverages, PepsiCo (India) Holdings Pvt. Ltd
- Tata Consumer Products: Headquarters: Kolkata || CEO & MD: Sunil D’Souza
2. Facebook Shops
- Facebook has launched ‘Facebook Shops’ which is a new e-commerce venture to help small businesses.
- Facebook : CEO: Mark Zuckerberg || Headquarters: California
1. Book ‘Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes’
- Ruskin Bond’s new book named ‘Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes’ was released.
- It contains a number of the author’s hilarious journeys and travel adventures.
- Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He lives with his adopted family in Landour, Mussoorie, India. The Indian Council for Child Education has recognised his role in the growth of children’s literature in India.
Science and Technology News
1. National Test Abhyas App
- ‘National Test Abhyas’ has been launched by the Ministry of Human Resources Development which is developed by the National Testing Agency.
- Aim: To help the candidates to take mock tests for exams such as JEE Mains, NEET, etc.
- Minister of Human Resources Development: Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’.
1. New president of World Health Assembly
- Keva Bain of Bahamas has been appointed as the president of the 73rd World Health Assembly.
- The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health. The WHO Constitution, which establishes the agency’s governing structure and principles, states its main objective as “the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.”
2. New President of Indian Steel Association
- Indian Steel Association has appointed DilipOommen CEO, Arcelor Mittal Nippon Steel as its new President.
- The Indian Steel Association (ISA), represents all the major Public Sector and Private Sector Steel Enterprises of India.
- Full Members-JSW Steel, Steel Authority of India Ltd, Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd, Jindal Steel and Power ltd, Bhushan Power and Steel Ltd, ArcelorMittal Nippon Steel Ltd and TATA steel BSL Ltd.
3. NABARD Chairman
- Govinda Rajulu Chintala has been appointed the chairman of the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development.
- NABARD : Founded-12 July 1982 || Headquarters- Mumbai
1. National Anti-Terrorism Day
- National Anti-Terrorism Day is observed on 21 May every year in India.
- Anti-Terrorism Day is observed to mark the death anniversary of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi who was assassinated on this day in 1991.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz,21 May