Daily Current Affairs 21st October 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 21st October 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 21st October 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 21st October 2023 Current affairs test.
1. India Debuts Semi-High-Speed Rail ‘Namo Bharat’
- India has unveiled its first semi-high-speed regional rail, ‘Namo Bharat,’ formerly recognized as RapidX. This Regional Rapid Train Service (RRTS) is designed for optimal passenger comfort and safety, featuring amenities such as overhead storage, Wi-Fi, and charging ports for each seat.
- A thoughtful fare system has been structured, with prices ranging from Rs 40 to Rs 100 for the premium coach and Rs 20 to Rs 50 for standard coaches.
- ‘Namo Bharat’ boasts an impressive average speed of 100 km/h, surpassing conventional metro and Indian Railway trains in speed.
- Manufactured by Alstom in Gujarat, these trains not only enhance transportation but also promote India’s ‘Make in India’ campaign.
2. Japan’s Pioneering Achievement with Electromagnetic Railgun Launch
- Japan has distinguished itself as the first country to successfully deploy an electromagnetic railgun from an offshore installation.
- This historical test firing was conducted by the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force and the Acquisition Technology & Logistics Agency.
- Railguns use electromagnetic force to launch high-velocity projectiles and are typically ship-mounted.
- Japan’s railgun program seeks to integrate this technology with its long-range missile systems for effective aerial defense capabilities.
3. Indian Navy Welcomes Stealth Destroyer Imphal
- The Indian Navy has taken delivery of the stealth-guided missile destroyer, Imphal, as part of Project 15B, constructed by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited.
- Imphal, the third ship in its class following the Kolkata class destroyers, is fitted with advanced weaponry and sensors.
- With a displacement of 7,400 tons and a length of 164 meters, Imphal signifies a significant advance in India’s indigenous warship construction.
- The ship’s design was conceived by the Indian Navy’s own Warship Design Bureau.
4. MILAN 24 Naval Exercise Scheduled in Visakhapatnam
- The Indian Navy is set to host the multilateral naval exercise MILAN 24, which will feature both harbor and sea phases.
- Scheduled for February 19-27, 2024, in Visakhapatnam, MILAN 24 coincides with India’s G20 Presidency and will reflect the ‘G20 theme Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’.
- The exercise, initiated in 1995, is anticipated to witness the largest participation to date, with invitations extended to over 50 nations.
- MILAN 24 showcases India’s expanding maritime diplomacy.
5. RBI’s E-Rupee Pilot for Inter-Bank Transactions
- The Reserve Bank of India has initiated a pilot project to test the E-Rupee, a Central Bank Digital Currency, designed to revolutionize inter-bank transactions using blockchain technology.
- The project will observe user behavior to inform the digital currency’s design and policy framework.
- The aim is to reach a daily transaction volume of 1 million by December 2023.
6. Kotak Mahindra Bank’s Acquisition of Sonata Finance
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has received the RBI’s approval to acquire Sonata Finance, a microfinance institution.
- This acquisition, valued at approximately Rs 537 crore, will enable Kotak Mahindra to expand its microfinance services.
- Sonata Finance, with a strong foothold in Northern India, will become a fully-owned subsidiary of the bank.
Important Days News
7. Observance of National Police Commemoration Day
- India commemorates October 21 as Police Commemoration Day to honor the memory of ten policemen who died in 1959 during a skirmish with Chinese forces.
- The National Police Memorial in New Delhi, inaugurated by Prime Minister Modi in 2018, stands as a testament to the sacrifices of police personnel.
8. IRCTC and Zomato’s E-Catering Partnership
- IRCTC has collaborated with Zomato to improve meal choices available to train passengers through its E-Catering service.
- This initiative, currently in the Proof of Concept phase at five major stations, allows passengers to pre-order meals from a varied menu via IRCTC’s platform.
9. Ipsita Dasgupta’s New Role at HP
- Ipsita Dasgupta has been appointed as HP’s Senior Vice President & Managing Director for India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka markets.
- Dasgupta’s extensive experience in strategy and business incubation will guide HP’s strategy and profitability in the region.
10. Dhordo Village’s UNWTO Distinction
- Dhordo, a village in Gujarat, has been recognized as one of the best tourism villages by UNWTO, spotlighting its role in rural development and cultural preservation.
- The village recently hosted the G20 Tourism Working Group Meeting, enhancing its global tourism profile.
11. Inaugural ‘Durga Bharat Samman’ Recipients
- The ‘Durga Bharat Samman’ award has been presented by the Governor of West Bengal to individuals and organizations for their exceptional contributions.
- Recipients include Pandit Ajoy Chakrabarty, ISRO for the ‘Chandrayaan’ mission, Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, and Visva-Bharati University.
Science and Technology News
12. Blueprint for India’s Semiconductor Leadership
- The India Semiconductor R&D Committee has submitted a report to Shri Rajeev Chandrasekhar, outlining a strategic vision for India’s leadership in semiconductor research.
- The report emphasizes pillars crucial to advancing India’s semiconductor capabilities, in line with the ‘Viksit Bharat’ vision.
13. Google’s DigiKavach Initiative Against Online Financial Fraud
- Google has launched the DigiKavach initiative to address online financial frauds in India.
- The program aims to study scam tactics and enhance security measures to protect users from such threats.