Daily Current Affairs 22nd March 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 22nd March 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 22nd March 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 22nd March 2023 Current affairs test.
Science & Technology
1. Inauguration of Uttarakhand’s Massive Liquid Mirror Telescope
- Dr. Jitendra Singh, holding the portfolio of Union Minister of State with independent charge for Science & Technology, recently unveiled the continent’s most extensive 4-meter International Liquid Mirror Telescope (ILMT) at Devasthal, Uttarakhand.
- Located at an impressive height of 2450 meters within the Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences campus, this telescope uses a revolving mirror with a diameter of 4 meters, coated with a liquid mercury layer, for its light-gathering and focusing functions.
2. NTPC and Indian Army’s Green Hydrogen Collaboration
- NTPC Renewable Energy Ltd has entered into a collaborative agreement with the Indian Army.
- This Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) paves the way for Green Hydrogen Projects within the Army’s establishments under the Build, Own, and Operate (BOO) model.
- Intended to decrease reliance on fossil fuels and simplify logistics, the collaboration also marks a significant step towards decarbonization. The pact was formalized by NTPC REL’s CEO, Mohit Bhargava, and Lt. General Rajinder Dewan.
- Additionally, NTPC REL has also committed to conceptualizing and establishing renewable energy ventures for the Army.
3. TIME’s Exceptional Destinations for 2023
- TIME magazine’s yearly compilation of the ‘World’s Greatest Places’ for 2023 includes two picturesque locations from India: Ladakh and Mayurbhanj.
- Ladakh, situated at high altitudes, captivates with its pristine lakes, snow-covered mountains, and spectacular landscapes. Conversely, Mayurbhanj in Odisha remains relatively undiscovered.
- The comprehensive list for 2023 showcases 50 remarkable destinations worldwide, ranging from Tampa in Florida to the Tuamotu Archipelago in French Polynesia.
4. Focus on World Water Day 2023
- The global community comes together on March 22 each year to shed light on water-related issues worldwide.
- First endorsed by the UNGA in 1992, the 2023 theme is centered on “Accelerating the change to solve the water and sanitation crisis.”
- In alignment with the 2030 agenda, a commitment was made in 2015 through Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6, which envisioned ensuring safe water and sanitation by 2030. A detailed report on this subject is disseminated annually on World Water Day.
5. Indian Navy Welcomes INS Androth
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) at Kidderpore yard in Kolkata marked the launch of the Indian Navy’s INS Androth.
- Known as the ‘Most Silent Ship’, it’s the subsequent vessel in a series of eight ships.
- This Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Craft (ASWSWC), with a length of 77.6 meters and a width of 10.5 meters, is powered by three diesel-driven water jets.
- The ship can reach speeds of up to 25 knots and is equipped with lightweight torpedoes, anti-submarine warfare rockets, and mines.
Appointment and Resignation
6. Ratan Tata’s Australian Honor
- Renowned Indian businessman and benefactor, Ratan Tata, has been honored with the title of an Honorary Officer in the General Division of the Order of Australia (AO).
- This accolade acknowledges his commendable contributions to strengthening trade, investment, and philanthropic ties between Australia and India.
- An iconic figure in the global business community, Ratan Tata’s advocacy for the India-Australia Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement, slated for finalization in 2022, further cements his commitment to bilateral relations.
7. Leadership Transition at Cotton Corporation of India
- Lalit Kumar Gupta is set to lead as the new Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) for a tenure of five years.
- Before his elevation to the top role, Gupta held the Director (Finance) position at CCI.
- His appointment came after the recommendation from the PESB panel. For the uninitiated, CCI operates under the purview of the Ministry of Textiles.
Recent Key Appointments:
- G Krishnakumar assumes command at BPCL as CMD.
- K Krithivasan takes the helm as TCS’s CEO.
- Amitava Mukherjee holds additional charge as CMD of NMDC.
- History made as Asia’s first female locomotive pilot, Surekha Yadav, takes charge of Vande Bharat Express.
- Tech Mahindra’s leadership sees Mohit Joshi as the new MD and CEO.
- Rohit Jawa takes over as MD & CEO of Hindustan Unilever Ltd.
- Neiphiu Rio continues his leadership journey as Nagaland’s CM for his fifth term.
- Conrad Sangma retains his Chief Ministerial position in Meghalaya for a second term.
- Sanjiva Shankar Dubey takes on the role of the 28th Controller General of Accounts (CGA), succeeding Bharti Das.
- Jishnu Barua heads the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) as its Chairperson.