Daily Current Affairs 23 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 23 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 23 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 23 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. 2019 Lok Sabha Election Results
- The Bharatiya Janata Party-led NDA has won the elections and the BJP by itself won a clear majority.
- The BJP has become the single largest party and exceeded the previous record of the NDA with 303 seats as a standalone party and 355 seats as NDA.
- A total of 6514558 voters opted for NOTA (None-Of-The-Above).
- In the 2014 Indian general elections, the BJP led by Narendra Modi became the first party in 30 years to win a single-party majority. The BJP won 303 seats – crossing the majority mark of 272, and with its allies won 355 seats in the 2019 elections.
2. Telangana’s Gross State Domestic Product
- Telangana has achieved the highest ever growth of GSDP after its formation.
- Telangana’s Gross State Domestic Product has grown 15% in the financial year ended March 31 at Rs 866875 crore.
- Capital: Hyderabad || Official song: Jaya Jaya He Telangana || Chief minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
3. Mudra Loans
- Total sanctions under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana loan scheme for micro industries may cross Rs 3 lakh crore in current fiscal.
- Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY) is a scheme launched by Prime Minister on April 8, 2015 for providing loans up to 10 lakh to the non-corporate, non-farm small/micro enterprises.
- These loans are classified as MUDRA loans under PMMY. These loans are given by Commercial Banks, RRBs, Small Finance Banks, Cooperative Banks, MFIs and NBFCs.
- MUDRA has created three products namely ‘Shishu’, ‘Kishore’ and ‘Tarun’ to signify the stage of growth / development and funding needs of the beneficiary micro unit / entrepreneur.
4. Anti-Terrorism Day
- The death anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi is observed as Anti-Terrorism Day on May 21.
- Rajiv Ratna Gandhi was an Indian politician who served as the 6th Prime Minister of India from 1984 to 1989.
- He took office after the 1984 assassination of his mother, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, to become the youngest Indian Prime Minister at the age of 40.
1. Bob Hawke passes away
- Australia’s longest serving Labour PM Bob Hawke has passed away at 89.
- Robert James Lee Hawke AC GCL was an Australian politician who served as Prime Minister of Australia and Leader of the Labor Party from 1983 to 1991.
- Capital: Canberra || Currency: Australian dollar
2. World Turtle Day
- The purpose of World Turtle Day, May 23, sponsored yearly since 2000 by American Tortoise Rescue, is to bring attention to, and increase knowledge of and respect for, turtles and tortoises, and encourage human action to help them survive and thrive.
- World Turtle Day 2019 Theme : Save Turtles
3. World Book of Records
- Comedian Kapil Sharma has been acknowledged as the most viewed stand-up comedian in India and abroad by World book of Records London.
- Kapil Sharma is an Indian stand-up comedian, television presenter, actor and producer. Currently he hosts The Kapil Sharma Show.
- He also hosted television comedy shows like Comedy Nights with Kapil, The Kapil Sharma Show, Family Time with Kapil.
4. High Commissioner of Pakistan to India
- Pakistan has appointed Mueenul Haq as High Commissioner to India.
- Prime minister: Imran Khan || Capital: Islamabad || Currency: Pakistani rupee || President: ArifAlvi
1. India’s biggest company by revenue in the 2018-19 fiscal year
- 1. Reliance Industries with a turnover of Rs 6.23 lakh crore.
- 2. Indian Oil Corporation with a turnover of Rs 6.17 lakh crore.
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited, commonly known as Indian Oil is an Indian state owned oil and gas company with registered office at Mumbai and primarily headquartered in New Delhi.
- IOC :- Headquarters: New Delhi || Chairperson: Sanjiv Singh
2. SBI with ‘The Art of Living’
- SBI has announced a partnership with ‘Sri SriTattva’ (FMCG arm of The Art of Living) for the business expansion.
- The Art of Living Foundation is a volunteer-based, humanitarian and educational non-governmental organization. It was founded in 1981 by Ravi Shankar.
- The Art of Living Foundation has centres in more than 156 countries.
3. United Nations’ Global Economy Forecast
- United Nations has forecasted Global Economy to grow 2.7% in 2019 and 2.9 per cent in 2020.
- The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization tasked with maintaining international peace and security, developing friendly relations among nations, achieving international co-operation, and being a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations.
- Secretary general: António Guterres || Headquarters: New York, New York, United States || Founded: 24 October 1945, San Francisco, California, United States
1. Golfer Brooks Koepka
- Golfer Brooks Koepka returned to world No.1 after winning US PGA Championship.
- Brooks Koepka is an American professional golfer on the PGA Tour.
2. Big Bash League franchise Melbourne Stars
- Melbourne Stars has appointed David Hussey as its Men’s team head coach.
- David John Hussey is a former Australian cricketer. Hussey is a right-handed batsman and can also bowl right-arm off breaks.
- The Big Bash League is an Australian professional Twenty20 cricket league, which was established in 2011 by Cricket Australia. The Big Bash League replaced the previous competition, the KFC Twenty20 Big Bash.
3. Italian Football
- Serie A: Winner: Juventus || Runner-up: Napoli
- Coppa Italia: Winner: Lazio || Runner-up: Atalanta
- Serie A, also called Serie A TIM due to sponsorship by TIM, is a professional league competition for football clubs located at the top of the Italian football league system and the winner is awarded the Coppa Campionid’Italia. It has been operating for over eighty years since the 1929–30 season.
- The Coppa Italia is an Italian football annual cup competition. Its first edition was held in 1922 and was won by Vado. The second tournament, scheduled in the 1926–27 season, was cancelled during the round of 32. The third edition was not held until 1935–36 when it started being scheduled annually.
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31