Daily Current Affairs 23 August 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 23 August 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 23 August 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 23 August 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Hollongi Airport
- According to Minister of Civil Aviation Hardeep Singh Puri, Hollongi Airport in Itanagar will be completed by March 31, 2022.
- Itanagar is the capital of the northeast Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Chief minister: Pema Khandu || Governor: B. D. Mishra.
2. New Home Secretary
- Ajay Kumar Bhalla has been appointed as Home Secretary in the Ministry of Home Affairs replacing Rajiv Gauba.
- The Home Secretary is the administrative head of the Ministry of Home Affairs. This post is held by senior IAS officer of the rank of Secretary to Government of India.
3. Prasar Bharati to induct new Awards
- Prasar Bharati will introduce two new awards in the field of Journlism.
- 1. Neelum Sharma Tejaswini award
- 2. Achyutananda Sahoo Award
- Neelum Sharma was an Indian anchor who was most well known as one of the founding anchors of Doordarshan and was a recipient of the Nari Shakti Puraskar, the highest civilian award for woman in India. Through her show Tejaswini, Neelum focused on women achievers of India.
- Prasar Bharati is India’s largest public broadcasting agency. It is a statutory autonomous body set up by an Act of Parliament and comprises the Doordarshan Television Network and All India Radio, which were earlier media units of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- CEO: Shashi Shekhar Vempati || Headquarters: New Delhi || Agency executives: Dr. A. Surya Prakash as the Chairman.
4. Next Cabinet Secretary
- Union Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba was appointed as the next Cabinet Secretary.
- The Cabinet Secretary is the top-most executive official and senior-most civil servant of the Government of India. The Cabinet Secretary is the ex-officio head of the Civil Services Board, the Cabinet Secretariat, the Indian Administrative Service, and all civil services under the rules of business of the government.
1. South Asian Spelling Bee
- Indian-American teenager Navneeth Murali has won 2019 South Asian Spelling Bee.
- A spelling bee is a competition in which contestants are asked to spell a broad selection of words, usually with a varying degree of difficulty. The concept is thought to have originated in the United States, and spelling bee events, along with variants, are now also held in some other countries around the world.
2. New Prime Minister of Sudan
- Abdalla Hamdok has been sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Sudan.
- Capital: Khartoum || Currency: Sudanese pound
3. International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition
- International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition, August 23 of each year, the day designated by UNESCO to memorialize the transatlantic slave trade.
- That date was chosen by the adoption of resolution 29 C/40 by the Organization’s General Conference at its 29th session.
4. Financial Action Task Force
- Financial Action Task Force’s Asia/Pacific Group has put Pakistan on its ‘enhanced blacklist’ over terror financing.
- The Financial Action Task Force is an intergovernmental organization founded in 1989 on the initiative of the G7 to develop policies to combat money laundering. In 2001 its mandate expanded to include terrorism financing.
- Headquarters: Paris, France || President: Xiangmin Liu || Founded: 1989
5. World Senior Citizen’s Day
- The World Senior Citizen’s Day is celebrated on the 21st of August each year.
- It was first proclaimed by the General Assembly of the United Nations on December 14, 1990. The celebration took place for the first time on 1st October 1991.
1. Suparna Singh resigns
- NDTV Interim CEO Suparna Singh has resigned from the post.
- New Delhi Television Limited is a Indian television media company founded in 1988 by Radhika Roy, a journalist.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
2. Book ‘The Diary of Manu Gandhi’
- Culture and Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel has launched the book ‘The Diary of Manu Gandhi’.
- Manu Gandhi was a grandniece of Mahatma Gandhi.
3. New Defence Secretary
- Ajay Kumar has been appointed as the new Defence Secretary replacing Sanjay Mitra.
- The Defence Secretary is the administrative head of the Ministry of Defence. This post is held by a senior Indian Administrative Service of the rank of secretary to the Government of India.
4. Acko General Insurance with ZestMoney
- Acko General Insurance has partnered with ZestMoney to offer credit insurance.
- ZestMoney is a payment platform that enables customers to buy high-priced items on EMI without using a credit card
- Acko General Insurance is a private sector general insurance company in India. Founded in November 2016, the company received its license from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India in September 2017.
1. Cincinnati Masters
- Men’s singles: Daniil Medvedev of Russia
- Women’s singles: Madison Keys of USA
- The Cincinnati Masters is an annual outdoor hardcourt tennis event held in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.
- The event started on September 18, 1899 and is the oldest tennis tournament in the United States played in its original city.
2. WADA suspends accreditation of NDTL
- World Anti-Doping Agency has suspended the accreditation of National Dope Testing Laboratory of India for six months.
- It is due to non-conformities with the International Standard for Laboratories.
- The World Anti-Doping Agency is a foundation initiated by the International Olympic Committee based in Canada to promote, coordinate and monitor the fight against drugs in sports.
- Headquarters: Montreal, Canada || Purpose: Anti-doping in sport || Founder: Dick Pound || Founded: 10 November 1999 || Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada || Affiliation: International Olympic Committee
3. Team India’s Batting Coach
- Vikram Rathour will replace Sanjay Bangar as India’s new Batting Coach.
- Bowling Coach: Bharath Arun
- Fielding Coach: R Sridhar
- Daily Current Affairs: August 1
- Daily Current Affairs: August 2
- Daily Current Affairs: August 3
- Daily Current Affairs: August 4
- Daily Current Affairs: August 5
- Daily Current Affairs: August 6
- Daily Current Affairs: August 7
- Daily Current Affairs: August 8
- Daily Current Affairs: August 9
- Daily Current Affairs: August 10
- Daily Current Affairs: August 11
- Daily Current Affairs: August 12
- Daily Current Affairs: August 13
- Daily Current Affairs: August 14
- Daily Current Affairs: August 15
- Daily Current Affairs: August 16
- Daily Current Affairs: August 17
- Daily Current Affairs: August 18
- Daily Current Affairs: August 19
- Daily Current Affairs: August 20
- Daily Current Affairs: August 21
- Daily Current Affairs: August 22
- Daily Current Affairs: August 23
- Daily Current Affairs: August 24
- Daily Current Affairs: August 25
- Daily Current Affairs: August 26
- Daily Current Affairs: August 27
- Daily Current Affairs: August 28
- Daily Current Affairs: August 29
- Daily Current Affairs: August 30
- Daily Current Affairs: August 31