Daily Current Affairs 23 March 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 23 March 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 23 March 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 23 March 2018 Current affairs test.
1.First National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement inaugurated.
- Hansraj Gangaram Ahir, the Minister of State for Home Affairs, inaugurated the two-day first National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement.
- The conference is being organized by the Narcotics Control Bureau(NCB), Ministry of Home Affairs.
2.Chandigarh to install Automatic Speed Gun Cameras.
- Chandigarh has become the 1st city in North India to install Automatic Speed Gun Cameras with digital displays for traffic management.
- The high-speed cameras are equipped with night vision technology and will record the speed of oncoming traffic, helping Chandigarh Police to issue challans to anyone driving above the city speed limits.
3.World’s Longest Sandstone Cave discovered in Meghalaya.
- Meghalaya of India, is home to the longest sandstone cave in the world at 24,583m, with dinosaur fossils from 66-76 million years ago.
- The sandstone cave ‘Krem Puri’ was discovered in 2016 but during the recent 25-day expedition by the Meghalaya Adventurers’ Association(MAA), the actual length of the cave was uncovered. It is 6,000m longer than the current listed sandstone cave in the world, Cueva El Saman in Venezuela.
4.1st Indian sign language dictionary of 3000 words launched.
- Thaawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, launched the 1st Indian sign language dictionary of 3000 words.
- The dictionary has been developed by Indian Sign Language Research & Training Centre under Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
1.India to be 3rd largest tourism economy in 10 years: Report.
- A report by World Travel and Tourism claimed that India is expected to become the world’s third-largest travel and tourism economy by 2028 in terms of direct and total GDP.
- India is preceded by China and United States in the list.
2.2017 is the costliest year on record for climate disasters: UN.
- The United Nations’ weather agency stated that severe climate disasters cost countries about $320 billion in 2017, making it the costliest year on record for climate-related events.
- The report noted Cyclone Mora and Ockhi caused substantial casualties in the Indian subcontinent besides affecting about 4 crore people.
3.Will fight the trade war started by US till the end: China.
- The Chinese embassy in the US said that China will fight the trade war initiated by US to the end as US President Trump imposed tariffs on imports worth up to 60 billion dollars from China.
- It added that China is strongly disappointed over Trump’s decision.
4.US Prez Trump would like to testify in election meddling probe.
- US President Donald Trump has said he would like to testify in FBI’s investigation into alleged meddling in the 2016 US presidential election by Russia if the agency asks him to do so.
- Trump’s election campaign team is being investigated by the FBI over alleged ties with Russia which is blamed to have meddled with the polls in Trump’s favour.
1.Allahabad Bank gets nod for ABFL Merger.
- The Ministry of Corporate Affairs has allowed the amalgamation of its wholly own subsidiary- All Bank Finance Ltd(ABFL)- with the lender, according to the officials of Allahabad Bank.
- The bank’s board had approved the proposed merger in December 2016.
2.China threatens import tariff on 128 US goods in ‘trade war’.
- China has warned that it could impose an import tariff on 128 goods, worth almost 3 billion dollars after the US imposed tariffs on imports worth up to $60 billion from China.
- However, China added that it urges the US to resolve the concerns as soon as possible through dialogue and avoid damage to the overall situation of Sino-US cooperation.
3.PNB suffered Rs.14,506 crore loss due to frauds in FY18 so far.
- In FY18, fraud-hit PNB witnessed losses amounting to about Rs.14,500 crore due to frauds so far.
- The government has said that PNB submitted reports on fraud related to jewelers Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi to the RBI through its ‘Fraud Reporting and Monitoring System’.
4.Sensex plunges over 510 points, Nifty cracks below 10,000.
- Benchmark Index BSE Sensex fell over 510 points to 32,491 during intraday trading on Friday.
- This came amid increasing fears of a global trade war after US President Trump signed a memorandum imposing tariffs on imports worth up to $60 billion from China.
1.Elavenil Valarivan set qualification record, won gold at ISSF Junior Shooting WC.
- Elavenil Valarivan, Indian shooter, set a qualification world record before claiming a gold medal in the 10-meter air rifle women junior event at the ISSF Junior Shooting World Cup in Australia.
- Valarivan, competing in her second ISSF competition, later partnered up with Zeena Khitta and Shreya Agrawal to claim the team event gold medal.
2.Stuart Broad, youngest pacer to reach 400 Test wickets.
- England’s 31-year Stuart Broad became the youngest pacer to reach 400 wickets in Test wickets in Test cricket.
- Broad is the second England bowler, after James Anderson, and the 15th overall to reach the milestone figure.
- Daily Current Affairs: March 1
- Daily Current Affairs: March 2
- Daily Current Affairs: March 3
- Daily Current Affairs: March 4
- Daily Current Affairs: March 5
- Daily Current Affairs: March 6
- Daily Current Affairs: March 7
- Daily Current Affairs: March 8
- Daily Current Affairs: March 9
- Daily Current Affairs: March 10
- Daily Current Affairs: March 11
- Daily Current Affairs: March 12
- Daily Current Affairs: March 13
- Daily Current Affairs: March 14
- Daily Current Affairs: March 15
- Daily Current Affairs: March 16
- Daily Current Affairs: March 17
- Daily Current Affairs: March 18
- Daily Current Affairs: March 19
- Daily Current Affairs: March 20
- Daily Current Affairs: March 21
- Daily Current Affairs: March 22
- Daily Current Affairs: March 23
- Daily Current Affairs: March 24
- Daily Current Affairs: March 25
- Daily Current Affairs: March 26