Daily Current Affairs 23rd April 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 23rd April 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 23rd April 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 23rd April 2023 Current affairs test.
National & International Appointments
1. Justice SV Bhatti to Assume Role of Acting Chief Justice of Kerala High Court
- Justice Sarasa Venkatanarayana Bhatti has been chosen, by the authority of Article 223 of the Indian Constitution, as the Acting Chief Justice for the Kerala High Court, effective from April 24, 2023.
- He steps in for the outgoing Chief Justice S Manikumar, who is set to retire on the said date.
- With a notable stint as a Judge at the Andhra Pradesh High Court, he currently holds the position of the most senior judge in the Kerala High Court.
2. Wing Commander Deepika Misra: First Female IAF Officer Honored with Gallantry Award
- Earning a remarkable distinction, Wing Commander Deepika Misra is now the inaugural female officer of the Indian Air Force to be conferred with a gallantry award.
- Recognized for her unparalleled bravery in a flood rescue operation in Madhya Pradesh, this Rajasthan-origin helicopter pilot has been awarded the Vayu Sena Medal (Gallantry).
- Air Chief Marshal V R Chaudhari officiated the Investiture Ceremony at the Air Force Auditorium, Subroto Park, where he distributed the Yudh Seva Medal and various other accolades.
- Notably, two IAF officers received the Yudh Seva Medal, 13 were given the Vayu Sena Medal (Gallantry), 13 were awarded the Vayu Sena Medal, and 30 were presented the Vishisht Seva Medal.
- Summing up to 58 honorees, 57 were from the IAF and one from the Army.
Recent Awards Highlights
- Angela Merkel is the proud recipient of Germany’s pinnacle honor, the Order of Merit.
- Sonam Wangchuk has been graced with the esteemed Santokbaa Humanitarian Award.
- Karnataka shines with the award for the top-notch execution of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY).
- Utsa Patnaik takes home the Malcolm Adiseshiah Award for 2023.
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Samman finds its deserving winner in Raj Subramaniam.
National & International Appointments
3. Oliver Dowden Rises as the UK’s Deputy Prime Minister
- Oliver Dowden has been announced as the newest deputy prime minister for the UK, succeeding the resigned Dy PM and Justice Secretary, Dominic Raab.
- Before this elevation, Dowden was committed as the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and as the Cabinet Office secretary under the existing UK administration. These roles will persist under his new title.
- Meanwhile, the position of the justice secretary witnesses its 10th occupant in a decade with Alex Chalk.
Books & Authors
4. Global Celebration of World Book Day on April 23, 2023
- April 23 is internationally revered as World Book Day, a dedication to the joys of reading, writing, publishing, and respecting copyrights.
- Also referred to as World Book and Copyright Day, the 2023 edition is themed ‘Indigenous Languages’ – a salute to the rich linguistic diversities native to various nations.
- The day also stands as a memorial, marking the passing of literary legends including William Shakespeare, Miguel de Cervantes, and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega.
5. Digital Pioneer, Sidharth Rao of Webchutney, Bids Adieu
- Sidharth Rao, the brain behind Webchutney and its former CEO, tragically succumbed to a cardiac arrest.
- Charting a legacy, he established WebChutney in 1999, which rose to be India’s premier digital agency.
- In a significant move in July 2021, he was selected as the global CEO for Dentsu McGarrybowen.
- 2022 witnessed his transition from the group CEO role at dentsuMB India to co-founding a fresh endeavor in the marketing technology (MarTech) domain, named Punt Partners, in collaboration with the business tycoon, Madhu Sudan.