Daily Current Affairs 23rd October 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 23rd October 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 23rd October 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 23rd October 2023 Current affairs test.
1. India Prepares to Host Bharat Tex 2024 Expo
- India is set to host the Bharat Tex 2024 Expo from February 26-29, showcasing its leading position in the global textile industry.
- The expo will cover 200,000 square meters, making it the largest textile exhibition globally.
- Minister Goyal emphasized the event as a platform for local artisans and handloom industries to showcase their work on an international stage.
2. Tamil Nadu Launches Project Nilgiri Tahr
- Under Chief Minister M.K. Stalin, Tamil Nadu has initiated Project Nilgiri Tahr with a fund of ₹25 crores.
- The project aims to research and conserve the endangered Nilgiri Tahr, including reintroduction to historical habitats.
- A dedicated team in Coimbatore, from the Forest Department, is appointed to lead this initiative.
3. Inauguration of Indian Military Heritage Festival
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Indian Military Heritage Festival at the Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi.
- The festival, organized by the United Service Institution of India, celebrates India’s military history and aims to inspire the youth.
- The USI, established in 1870, is a prestigious tri-service think tank in New Delhi.
4. Launch of Project ‘Udbhav’ for Indianisation in Military
- The Indian Army has launched ‘Project Udbhav’, focusing on integrating ancient Indian wisdom into modern military practice.
- This project aims to enhance strategic responses to current security challenges through traditional Indian teachings.
5. Government Authorizes Non-Basmati Rice Exports
- The Indian government has permitted the export of 1.34 million tonnes of non-Basmati rice to several countries.
- This decision by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade includes significant allocations to countries like the Philippines and Cameroon.
Banking Sector Updates
6. RBI Penalizes L&T Finance for Regulatory Non-Compliance
- The Reserve Bank of India imposed a fine of ₹2.5 crores on L&T Finance for not adhering to specific regulations set in 2016.
- The issues cited include inadequate borrower information and undisclosed changes in interest rates and loan terms.
7. HDFC Bank Launches XpressWay Digital Platform
- HDFC Bank has launched XpressWay, a digital platform for expedited and simplified banking services.
- This initiative is part of the bank’s digital brand ‘NOW’, offering efficient banking experiences to customers.
8. RBL Bank Rolls Out GO Savings Account
- RBL Bank introduced the GO Savings Account, a digital banking product offering high-interest rates and a simplified banking experience.
- The account is subscription-based and can be opened easily using PAN and Aadhaar details.
9. NLC India Sets Up Green Energy Subsidiary
- NLC India has formed NLC India Green Energy Limited (NIGEL) to focus on renewable energy projects.
- NIGEL aims to establish 6 GW of renewable energy projects by 2030 and is currently working on 2 GW projects.
10. EU Report Suggests Wealth Tax on Billionaires
- The EU Tax Observatory has proposed a 2% global wealth tax on billionaires in its ‘Global Tax Evasion Report 2024’.
- This measure aims to address tax evasion and could generate significant revenue based on the increase in billionaires’ wealth over the years.
11. Sanjay Kumar Jain Named CMD of IRCTC
- Sanjay Kumar Jain has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of IRCTC.
- He fills a position vacant since January 2021, following his role as the Principal Chief Commercial Manager in Northern Railway.
Recognition and Honors
12. Harvard Law School Honors CJI Chandrachud
- Chief Justice of India, DY Chandrachud, received the ‘Award for Global Leadership’ from Harvard Law School.
- The award marks the centennial celebration of Harvard Law School’s Graduate Law Program.
13. International Stuttering Awareness Day Celebrated
- International Stuttering Awareness Day was observed on October 22, focusing on the unique challenges of people who stutter.
- The theme “One Size Does NOT Fit All” highlights the diverse experiences of individuals with stuttering.
14. Asian Para Games 2023 Kicks Off
- The Asian Para Games 2023 began with an opening ceremony on October 22.
- India sent its largest contingent ever, with Parul Parmar and Amit Saroha as flag bearers.
15. ISRO Conducts Test Flight for Gaganyaan Mission
- ISRO successfully conducted a test flight for the Gaganyaan mission TV-D1, focusing on drogue parachutes for spacecraft re-entry stabilization.
- This test sets the stage for future missions leading to the planned crewed spaceflight in 2025.
16. Passing of Cricket Legend Bishan Singh Bedi
- The cricket community mourned the loss of Bishan SinghBedi, a legendary Indian cricketer who passed away on October 24.
- Bedi, renowned for his spin bowling, played a significant role in Indian cricket in the 1970s.