Daily Current Affairs 24 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 24 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 24 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 24 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. ‘Global Asian of the Year 2018-19’ Award
- Hema Divakar was honoured with the ‘Global Asian of the Year 2018-19’ award in Dubai.
- Dr. Hema Divakar is Bengaluru-based medical doctor
- She received the award at the Asian Business & Social Forum 2019.
2. New Supreme Court Judges
- Government has cleared names of 4 judges for their elevation to the Supreme Court.
- Supreme Court now has full sanctioned strength of 31 judges, including the Chief Justice.
- Justices Aniruddha Bose
- Justices AS Bopanna
- Justices B R Gavai
- Justices Surya Kant
- The Supreme Court of India is the highest judicial court and the final court of appeal under the Constitution of India, the highest constitutional court, with the power of judicial review.
3. Science and Technology Ministry with Department of Biotechnology and Department of Atomic Energy
- Science and Technology Ministry has signed an MoU with Department of Biotechnology and Department of Atomic Energy for a joint collaborative research programmes in the area of Cancer.
- Cancer, also called malignancy, is an abnormal growth of cells.
- There are more than 100 types of cancer, including breast cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and lymphoma. Symptoms vary depending on the type. Cancer treatment may include chemotherapy, radiation, and/or surgery.
1. Prime Minister of Australia
- Scott Morrison is all set to be re-elected as the Prime Minister of Australia.
- Australia Capital: Canberra || Currency: Australian dollar
2. Empire Day
- After the death of Queen Victoria(UK) on 22 January 1901, her birthday, 24 May, was celebrated from 24 May 1902 as Empire Day.
- Celebrations: Multi-faith service in Westminster Abbey || Date: Friday, 24 May, 2019 || Observed by: Commonwealth of Nations
- It is attended by Queen Elizabeth II as Head of the Commonwealth along with the Commonwealth Secretary-General and Commonwealth High Commissioners in London.
- Theme :- A Connected Commonwealth
3. Grumpy Cat passes away
- Tardar Sauce, nicknamed Grumpy Cat, was an American Internet celebrity cat.
- She was known for her permanently “grumpy” facial appearance, which was caused by an underbite and feline dwarfism.
4. New President of Indonesia
- President Joko Widodo has won a second term as president of Indonesia defeating Prabowo Subianto.
- Official languages: Indonesian, Malay || Capital: Jakarta || Currency: Indonesian rupiah
1. 27% rise in Debit card PoS swipes
- According to RBI Data, There is 27% rise in Debit card PoS swipes in March 2019 in comparison to the same period of 2018.
- Withdrawals from ATM grew by 15%.
- UPI Transactions grew by 62%.
- The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central banking institution, which controls the issuance and supply of the Indian rupee. Until the Monetary Policy Committee was established in 2016, it also controlled monetary policy in India.
- RBI:- Establishment – 1 April 1935 || Governor – Shaktikanta Das || Headquarters – Mumbai
2. Kids Right Index 2019
- India was ranked 117th out of 181 countries in Kids Right Index 2019.
- Iceland has topped the charts followed by Portugal then Switzerland.
- Kids Rights Index is started by Kids Right Foundation in cooperation with Erasmus University, Rotterdam.
3. World Economic Situation and Prospects report
- In World Economic Situation and Prospects report, India’s growth rate for the current fiscal is 7%.
- The report is a joint product of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN/DESA), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and the five United Nations regional commissions (Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic Commission for Europe (ECE), Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) and Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA)).
4. India’s Exports and Imports in April 2019
- India’s export has grown by 1.34% to USD 44.06 billion.
- India’s imports has grown by 4.53 % to USD 52.83 billion.
- Trade deficit is USD 8.78 billion in April 2019 as compared to USD 7.07 billion in April 2018.
1. Laver Cup
- Laver Cup has been made into an official ATP event.
- The Laver Cup is an international indoor hard court men’s tennis tournament between two teams: Team Europe and Team World, the latter of which is composed of players from non-European countries.
- It held annually, the tournament is intended to be the Ryder Cup of the tennis world.
2. Sportspersons in 17th Lok Sabha elections
- Cricketer Gautam Gambhir (BJP) has won from East Delhi.
- Olympian Silver Medalist Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (BJP) won Jaipur Rural defeating CWG Dold Medallist Krishna Poonia (Congress).
3. India Open International Boxing
- The 2nd Edition of India Open International Boxing tournament has concluded in Guwahati.
- India bagged a total of 57 Medals (12 Gold, 18 Silver and 27 Bronze).
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31