Daily Current Affairs 24 January 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 24 January 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 24 January 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 24 January 2018 Current affairs test.
1.S Somnath became new director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre.
- S Somnath, ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Center(LPSC) director, now became director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Center.
- He replaced K Sivan. Vikram Sarabhai Space Center is ISRO’s lead center for launch vehicles.
2.Uttarakhand, GoI and World Bank signed a loan agreement for water supply in Uttarakhand.
- In order to increase access to improved water supply services in peri-urban areas in the state of Uttarakhand, GoI, Govt of Uttarakhand and World Bank Board has signed a $120million loan agreement.
- The $120 million loan from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development(IBRD) and has grace period of 5 years.
3.16th International Energy Forum Meet to be hosted by India.
- The 16th International Energy Forum(IEF) Ministerial meeting will be hosted by GoI in New Delhi and will be co-hosted by Government of China and South Korea in April 2018.
- There will be 92 representatives participating in the conference, of which 72 will be of member countries while 20 from guest countries. India last hosted the IEF ministerial conference in 1996.
4.Delhi trial court became the first to have national Flag across the country.
- Patiala House Court in Delhi has become the first trial court to have permanent national Flag across the country, as said by the New Delhi Bar Association.
- Delhi HC Acting Chief Justice Gita Mittal unfurled the 50-feet high tricolour.
1. Bhubaneshwar will held 7th Asia Steel International Conference.
- The 7th Asia Steel International Conference will be held in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha in Feb 2018. The last Asia Steel Conference was held in Japan, 2015.
- This conference is held every three years and provides platform for the exchange of knowledge on various aspects of the global steel industry.
2.Asia Pacific to add 23 million jobs in 2017-19: ILO.
- According to the report by International Labour Organization(ILO) about 77% of workers in India will have vulnerable employment by 2019.
- The report further said that the number of jobless in India will increase to 18.9 million in 2019 against 18.3 million in 2017.
3.World Economic Forum Summit concluded in Switzerland.
- 48th annual meeting of World Economic Forum has been concluded in Davos, Switzerland.
- Indian PM Narendra Modi became the first prime minister in two decades to join the world’s top business leaders in the Swiss resort town of Davos.
4.The Global Environmental Performance index has been released.
- According to the Global Environmental Performance index rankings, India ranked 177 among 180 countries in curbing environmental pollution. India is among five worst countries in curbing pollution.
- Switzerland has topped the list while Nepal, India, Congo, Bangladesh and Burundi are the bottom five nations.
1.100% foreign holding in banks is not good: Uday Kotak.
- Uday Kotak said that 100% foreign investment in Indian banks is not a great idea.
- The government reportedly plans to raise foreign investment limit in private sector banks to 100% from 74% and to 49% from 20% in the state-run banks.
2.RIL, India’s 1st firm to cross Rs 6 lakh crore market capitalization.
- Reliance Industries(RIL) become the first Indian company to cross the Rs 6 lakh crore mark in market capitalization as its shares touched a 52-week high of Rs 974.5.
- HDFC Bank is the first lender to cross Rs 5 lakh crore mark in market capitalization.
3.NIIF makes its 1st investment, partnered with DP World.
- The National Investment and Infrastructure Fund(NIIF) has made its First Investment.
- NIIF has partnered with DP World to create an investment platform for ports, terminals, transportation and logistics businesses in India.
1.Pujara took 54 balls to score his 1st run in third Test.
- Cheteshwar Pujara took 54 balls to get off the mark in the first innings of the third Test against South Africa.
- Rajesh Chouhan holds the record for India for playing the most balls(57) to open his account while the world record was set by England’s John Murray(80 balls) in 1963.
2.Rakhi Halder creates New National Record.
- Lifter Rakhi Halder created a new national record in clean and jerk to a gold medal in the 63kg women’s category in the 33rd Women Senior National Weightlifting Championships, in Mangaluru, Karnataka.
- Rakhi lifted 128kgs in the clean and jerk for a total of 230kgs to create a new national record, bettering Karnam Malleswari’s feat(127kg) created in Athens in 1999.
3.Man makes basketball shot from 200 mts, breaks world record.
- Australian Youtube channel ‘How Ridiculous’ has broken its own previously set world record for the greatest height from which a basketball shot is made.
- Atop a Southern African waterfall, the channel’s Derek Herron managed to net a basketball from over 200 meters, crossing their own world record of 180 meters, which was set in 2016.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz, 24 January
- Daily Current Affairs: January 1
- Daily Current Affairs: January 2
- Daily Current Affairs: January 3
- Daily Current Affairs: January 4
- Daily Current Affairs: January 5
- Daily Current Affairs: January 6
- Daily Current Affairs: January 7
- Daily Current Affairs: January 8
- Daily Current Affairs: January 9
- Daily Current Affairs: January 10
- Daily Current Affairs: January 11
- Daily Current Affairs: January 12
- Daily Current Affairs: January 13
- Daily Current Affairs: January 14
- Daily Current Affairs: January 15
- Daily Current Affairs: January 16
- Daily Current Affairs: January 17
- Daily Current Affairs: January 18
- Daily Current Affairs: January 19
- Daily Current Affairs: January 20
- Daily Current Affairs: January 21
- Daily Current Affairs: January 22
- Daily Current Affairs: January 23
- Daily Current Affairs: January 24
- Daily Current Affairs: January 25