Daily Current Affairs 24 June 2017: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 24 June 2017. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 24 June 2017. Brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance you general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 24 June 2017 Current affairs test.
1. West Bengal government receives highest UN public service award
- The United Nations has awarded the first prize for public service to the West Bengal Government for its girl child scheme titled “Kanyashree Prakalpa.”
- India was named first in the Asia-Pacific group for the category: ‘Reaching the Poorest and Most Vulnerable through Inclusive Services and Participation’.
- Kanyashree Prakalpa is a targeted conditional cash transfer scheme aimed at retaining girls in schools and other educational and skill development institutions along with preventing child marriage.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee received a trophy and the certificate for the first prize on behalf of her government at the UN Public Service Forum 2917 in The Hague, the Netherlands.
- The scheme was chosen from among 552 projects from 62 countries which were nominated for the award.
- This is not the first award for the Kanyashree Prakalpa. The UNICEF lauded the programme a couple of years ago
2. Government launches index to rank cities on quality of life
- The central government has launched a liveability index which will rank the country’s 116 major cities on the basis of the quality of life they offer.
- The index will enable the cities to know where they stand in terms of the quality of life and the interventions required to improve it.
- Cities with population above 1 million, including the capital cities will covered under this index.
- The cities will be assessed on set of 79 parameters, including availability of roads, education, healthcare, mobility, employment opportunities, emergency response ranking of which will be released in 2018.
- Minister of Urban Development – M. Venkaiah Naidu
3. RBI amends Banking Ombudsman Scheme
- The central bank has extended the scope of Banking Ombudsman Scheme.
- Under the amended scheme, a customer would also be able to lodge a complaint against the bank for its non-adherence to RBI instructions with regard to mobile banking/ electronic banking services in India.
- Compensation not exceeding rupees hundred thousand can also be awarded by the Banking Ombudsman to the complainant for loss of time, expenses incurred as also, harassment and mental anguish suffered by the complainant.
- The amended Scheme shall come into action from July 1, 2017.
- Governor of RBI – Urjit Patel
4. Delhi NCR’s Second Airport.
- The Centre has cleared the proposal for a Greenfield airport in Jewar of Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- The airport will be built on a public-private partnership model with the GMR Group, that currently operates Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi.
- The International Airport will cater to 30-50 million passengers per year over the next 10-15 years.
- The area notified for Noida Airport is 3000 hectares. The 1st phase will be developed in 1000 hectares.
- The airport will help reduce congestion at the Delhi international airport.
- Civil Aviation Minister – Ashok Gajapathi Raju
1. China denies entry to Kailash Mansarovar pilgrims.
- China has refused entry to the first batch of around 50 Indian pilgrims who were scheduled to travel to Kailash Mansarovar through the Nathu La pass in Sikkim.
- Pilgrims were stopped by the Chinese officials at the border from proceeding further.
- The pilgrims were scheduled to cross over to the Chinese side , but had failed to do so due to inclement weather.
- Chinese officials have said that it will take some time to repair the damaged roads due to rains and the Indians would not be able to make the pilgrimage any time soon.
- Headquarters of European Union – Brussels, Belgium
2. NSG plenary fails to take decision on India’s membership.
- A plenary meeting of the Nuclear Suppliers Group, has failed to take a decision on India’s application for its membership.
- The NSG had discussions on the issue of ‘Technical, Legal and Political Aspects of the participation of non-NPT states in the NSG.
- The group decided to continue its discussion and noted the intention of the chair to organise an informal meeting in November.
- The group said its relationship with India was discussed, particularly about implementation of the 2008 statement on civil nuclear cooperation with New Delhi.
- In 2008, the NSG had agreed to grant India a unique waiver from its rules governing civilian nuclear trade, paving the way for the landmark Indo-US nuclear deal.
3. Milestone for Sikh community: First turbaned judge in Canada
- Palbinder Kaur Shergill , a Sikh human rights advocate of Indian-origin has been appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court of British Columbia in New Westminster.
- With this appointment, she has become the first turbaned Sikh to be appointed to the judiciary in Canada.
- She is a leading human rights advocate in Canada and has been instrumental in helping shape human rights and religious accommodation law there.
1. Govt assures Mittal, Ambani of corrective steps for telcos
- After the disruption in telecom industry caused by Reliance Jio, Telecom Minister Manoj Sinha has assured Airtel’s Sunil Mittal and Reliance Communications’ Anil Ambani, along with other telecom players, of “corrective steps” to deal with rising debt and declining revenues.
- This came after Sinha held a meeting with telecom leaders to discuss the financial difficulties in the sector.
- Mittal also demanded steps to “prevent predatory voice pricing environment”.
2. Social entrepreneur of the year award
- Nisha Dutt , the Chief Executive Officer of Intellecap, has been honoured with the Social Entrepreneur of the Year award at The 7th Asian Awards in London.
- She is the first Indian woman business leader to have been conferred with this recognition.
- She has been awarded for her work in Intellecap, making it a globally known enterprise that focuses on social capital and impacts the under served communities.
1. India beat Pakistan 6-1 in Hockey World League Semi-Final.
- Indian hockey team thrashed arch-foes Pakistan 6-1 in a 5th-8th place classification match of the Hockey World League Semi-Final.
- The defeat dented Pakistan’s hopes of booking a berth to participate at the Hockey World Cup to be held in Bhubaneswar next year.
- India will next play against Canada in another classification encounter which will decide the 5th and 6th places in the tournament.
- Coach of Indian Hockey team – Roelant Oltmans
2. Imran Khawaja appointed as ICC deputy chairman.
- International Cricket Council has appointed Chairman of Associates Imran Khawaja as its deputy chairman.
- He was unanimously elected for the post created following the constitutional change approved at the ICC Full Council.
- Khawaja will deputise in ICC meetings in case the chairman Shashank Manohar is absent.
- He will be one of the front runners for the role of ICC chairman with Manohar’s term coming to an end next June.
- Headquarters of ICC – Dubai, UAE
- Daily Current Affairs: June 1
- Daily Current Affairs: June 2
- Daily Current Affairs: June 3
- Daily Current Affairs: June 4
- Daily Current Affairs: June 5
- Daily Current Affairs: June 6
- Daily Current Affairs: June 7
- Daily Current Affairs: June 8
- Daily Current Affairs: June 9
- Daily Current Affairs: June 10
- Daily Current Affairs: June 11
- Daily Current Affairs: June 12
- Daily Current Affairs: June 13
- Daily Current Affairs: June 14
- Daily Current Affairs: June 15
- Daily Current Affairs: June 16
- Daily Current Affairs: June 17
- Daily Current Affairs: June 18
- Daily Current Affairs: June 19
- Daily Current Affairs: June 20
- Daily Current Affairs: June 21
- Daily Current Affairs: June 22
- Daily Current Affairs: June 23
- Daily Current Affairs: June 24
- Daily Current Affairs: June 25
- Daily Current Affairs: June 26
- Daily Current Affairs: June 27
- Daily Current Affairs: June 28
- Daily Current Affairs: June 29
- Daily Current Affairs: June 30