Daily Current Affairs 25th October 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 25th October 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 25th October 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 25th October 2023 Current affairs test.
1. NCERT Approves Renaming ‘India’ as ‘Bharat’ in Future Textbooks
- The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has endorsed the change of the country’s name from ‘India’ to its traditional counterpart ‘Bharat’ in its forthcoming educational texts.
- This decision aims to better reflect the country’s indigenous identity and underline the historical significance of the term ‘Bharat’, highlighting the nation’s extensive heritage.
- In addition, the council has recommended shifting the focus in the history curriculum from ‘ancient history’ to ‘classical history’ to provide a more in-depth perspective on India’s past.
2. Sri Lanka Offers No-Cost Visas to Indian Visitors to Revive Tourism
- Sri Lanka has decided to eliminate visa charges for tourists from India and six other countries as part of its strategy to rejuvenate its tourism industry, which has faced economic difficulties recently.
- By waiving visa fees until March 31, 2024, Sri Lanka aims to bolster the number of tourists, especially from its primary market, India.
- Historically, Indian travelers had to pay a $20 visa charge, but this fee has now been lifted, simplifying and reducing the cost of visiting Sri Lanka for Indians.
3. Indian and Malaysian Armies Commence ‘Exercise Harimau Shakti 2023’
- India and Malaysia have launched their bilateral military exercise, ‘Exercise Harimau Shakti 2023,’ at the Umroi Cantonment in India, underscoring their defense cooperation.
- The exercise, featuring a battalion from the Rajput Regiment representing India, seeks to enhance military prowess and interoperability.
- The exercise is scheduled to run until November 5, 2023, focusing on joint Multi-Domain Operations in a sub-conventional warfare scenario.
4. Lay’s Chooses Mahendra Singh Dhoni as New Face for Advertising Campaign
- Lay’s has engaged former Indian cricket team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni as the face of its new advertising initiative, ‘No Lay’s, No Game.’
- The campaign, which aims to link the snack with the enjoyment of watching sports, features Dhoni eliciting various reactions as he appears in different scenarios searching for Lay’s.
5. MeitY Calls for Stricter KYC Norms to Counteract Illegal Loan Apps
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has proposed the implementation of an enhanced Know Your Customer (KYC) protocol, dubbed KYDFA (Know Your Digital Finance App), in collaboration with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the Department of Financial Services (DFS).
- The new system is intended to mitigate the risks posed by unauthorized instant loan applications by ensuring that only verified financial apps can operate within the Indian banking framework, thereby facilitating easier tracking and legal action against illegal entities.
6. India Poised to Overtake Japan as Asia’s Second-Largest Economy by 2030
- According to S&P Global, India is on track to surpass Japan and become the second-largest economy in the Asia-Pacific region by 2030, with an expected GDP of $7.3 trillion.
- India’s economy has shown robust growth, particularly from 2021 to 2023, and its expansion is projected to continue at a significant pace.
Important Days News
7. Observance of World Development Information Day
- The United Nations marks World Development Information Day annually on October 24th to raise awareness about global development issues and the necessity of international cooperation.
- Commencing in 1973, the day also coincides with United Nations Day and focuses on using information and communication technologies to promote development and reduce international tensions.
8. Celebration of Global Media and Information Literacy Week
- Global Media and Information Literacy Week, taking place from October 24th to 31st, is an international observance highlighting the importance of media and information literacy in the digital age.
- The theme for the 2023 event is “Media and Information Literacy in Digital Spaces: A Collective Global Agenda.”
9. Recognition of UN Disarmament Week
- The UN Disarmament Week, from October 24th to 30th, is a UNODA initiative to promote disarmament and the abolition of weapons of mass destruction.
- This observance emphasizes the urgency of disarmament to safeguard global peace and security.
Ranks & Reports News
10. Mumbai Named Second Most Polluted Major City Globally
- Mumbai has been ranked the second most polluted major city in the world by IQAir.
- The city’s air quality index (AQI) has reached levels considered unsafe, with particulate matter concentrations significantly exceeding WHO guidelines.
- The pollution crisis in India, particularly in cities like Mumbai and Delhi, has led to considerable health and economic impacts.
11. QatarEnergy Signs a Long-Term LNG Agreement with Italy’s Eni
- QatarEnergy has solidified a 27-year agreement with the Italian energy firm Eni to supply liquefied natural gas, furthering Qatar’s engagement in the European gas market.
- This deal involves LNG deliveries from Qatar’s North Field expansion, slated to begin in 2026, and aligns with QatarEnergy’s recent strategy to extend its long-term supply contracts in Europe.
12. Chetan Bhagat Becomes Brand Ambassador for Henry Harvin Education
- Bestselling author Chetan Bhagat has been named the Brand Ambassador for the educational tech startup Henry Harvin Education, reflecting a joint mission to empower Indian youth.
- Henry Harvin, known for its wide range of training and advisory services, is poised to leverage Bhagat’s influence to further its educational initiatives.
13. Unnati Hooda Clinches Title at Abu Dhabi Masters 2023
- Unnati Hooda, a promising young talent from India, has won the women’s singles at the Abu Dhabi Masters 2023, marking her second BWF Super 100 World Tour title.
< li>Her victory at this prestigious event not only showcases her emerging prowess but also underscores the growth of badminton in India.
14. ISRO Launches Earth Observation Satellite EOS-07 on PSLV-C55
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched the Earth Observation Satellite EOS-07 aboard the PSLV-C55 rocket, marking a significant milestone in India’s space exploration journey.
- EOS-07 is designed to provide critical data for agriculture, forestry, and urban planning, while also offering capabilities for climate studies and disaster management support.
15. Tesla Announces the Launch of Model Y in India
- Tesla, the American electric vehicle giant, has officially announced the launch of its Model Y in India, expanding its presence in the rapidly growing Indian EV market.
- The Model Y, known for its advanced features and sustainable design, is expected to be a game-changer in the Indian electric vehicle segment, providing an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional automobiles.
16. Scientists Unveil Groundbreaking Discovery in Quantum Computing
- Researchers have made a breakthrough in quantum computing technology, potentially revolutionizing the field and paving the way for faster and more efficient computation.
- This discovery could lead to substantial advancements in various sectors, including cybersecurity, finance, and healthcare.
17. India Launches Nationwide Polio Vaccination Drive
- India has initiated a comprehensive polio immunization campaign, aiming to vaccinate millions of children across the country to maintain its polio-free status.
- The drive is part of India’s ongoing efforts to prevent the resurgence of the poliovirus and protect children’s health nationwide.
Art & Culture News
18. Delhi Hosts the 34th Annual Surajkund International Crafts Mela
- The 34th Surajkund International Crafts Mela, a renowned cultural festival, is being held in Delhi, featuring a vast array of traditional crafts, cultural performances, and gastronomic delights from various parts of India and other countries.
- This festival provides a platform for artisans to showcase their unique skills and contributes significantly to the preservation of traditional arts and crafts.
19. Supreme Court Upholds New IT Rules for Social Media Platforms
- The Supreme Court of India has validated the new Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021, which regulate content on social media platforms.
- These rules require platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to establish a grievance redressal mechanism and appoint compliance officers in India, ensuring greater accountability and adherence to Indian laws.
20. ‘The Big Bull’ Wins Best Film at the International Indian Film Academy Awards
- ‘The Big Bull’, directed by Kookie Gulati, has been awarded Best Film at the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Awards.
- The movie, based on the life of stockbroker Harshad Mehta, received critical acclaim for its storytelling and performances.
21. Government Announces New Scheme to Promote Organic Farming
- The Indian government has introduced a new initiative aimed at boosting organic farming practices across the country.
- This scheme is designed to support farmers in adopting sustainable and eco-friendly farming methods, thereby enhancing soil health and crop yield.
22. India’s Higher Education Sector Sees Major Reform with New NEP
- India’s higher education sector is undergoing significant transformation following the implementation of the New Education Policy (NEP).
- The NEP introduces several reforms, including a multidisciplinary approach, flexibility in course selection, and a focus on research and innovation.
23. India Pledges to Achieve Net Zero Carbon Emissions by 2070
- India has committed to achieving net zero carbon emissions by the year 2070, demonstrating its dedication to combating climate change.
- This ambitious goal involves transitioning to renewable energy sources and implementing sustainable practices across various sectors.
24. Massive Reforestation Drive Launched Across India
- A large-scale reforestation campaign has been launched in India, aiming to plant millions of trees to restore ecosystems and combat environmental degradation.
- The initiative is part of the country’s broader efforts to increase forest cover and address climate change challenges.