Daily Current Affairs 28 January 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 28 January 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 28 January 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 28 January 2018 Current Affairs Test.
1. ‘Shakti’ app launched by Himachal Pradesh CM.
- Jai Ram Thakur, Himachal Pradesh CM, launched the ‘Shakti’ app for women’s safety in the state.
- The app is available in Hindi and English. It also have a panic button and would not require internet connectivity. It was developed by the National Informatics Centre(NIC) of the Himachal Pradesh government.
2. ‘Aadhar’ announced as Hindi Word of the year 2017.
- ‘Aadhar’ has been declared as the ‘Hindi Word of the Year 2017’ at the Jaipur Literature Festival by the Oxford Dictionaries.
- Other shortlisted words were ‘Mitron’, ‘Notebandi’, ‘Bahubali’, ‘Gaurakshak’. ‘Vikas’ and ‘Swachh’ were also considered for the title.
3.’Kailash’ documentary won top prize at Sundance.
- The documentary ‘Kailash’, about Nobel Peace Prize winner Kailash Satyarthi and his efforts to end child slavery, won the ‘US Grand Jury Prize: Documentary’.
- ’Bachpan Bachao Andolan’, Satyarthi’s charity, has been credited with freeing at least 80,000 child slaves in India over 30 years .
4.PM Narendra Modi praises women-run Matunga Railway Station in ‘Mann Ki Baat’.
- PM Narendra Modi praised Maharashtra’s Matunga Railway Station which is run by women during the first ‘Mann Ki Baat’ address this year.
- PM Modi also said that India’s Nari Shakti has contributed a lot.
1.Four agreements has been signed by India and Cambodia.
- India and Cambodia has signed four agreements in the field of cultural exchange, an exchange line of credit of $26.9 million, MoU to cooperate in legal matter and an agreement on prevention of human trafficking.
- Also New Delhi has agreed to set up a centre of IT excellence in Cambodia.
2.Pakistan called on all nations to cooperate in order to combat terrorism.
- Following the Taliban attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, that killed nearly 100 people and injured over 150 others, Pakistan has called on all nations to cooperate in order to combat and eliminate terrorism.
- Pakistan conveyed its sympathies to those affected by the attack.
3.Shutting down Uber is not a solution: Theresa May on safety issues.
- Discussing about the working conditions and safety issues, British PM Theresa May said that shutting down Uber is not a solution but instead comply with safety standards.
- She also said that Uber’s behavior had made the case to strengthen laws against exploitation by powerful tech platforms.
4.90% foreign debts of Sri Lanka under previous government unaccounted for.
- Maithripala Sirisena, Sri Lankan President, has said that 90% of the country’s foreign loans amounting to over Rs. 3 lakh crore which were borrowed by the previous govt was unaccounted for.
- He alleged that the previous govt had transferred money from the country’s treasury to private companies.
1.Govt saved Rs. 65,000 crore through DBT schemes: Amitabh Kant.
- Amitabh Kant, NITI Aayog CEO, said that Direct Benefit Transfer(DBT) mechanism in several government schemes helped the govt to save around Rs. 65,000 crore.
- As per his opinion to end corruption, the govt schemes should be linked to DBT. He aslo said that about 300 schemes are implemented through DBT.
2.GST stabilized in India in very short time: Finance Minister.
- As compared to several other countries, GST has stabilized in a very short time in India, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said.
- He added, GST has brought about an entire change in the country’s indirect tax system.
3.India is the second cheapest country after South Africa: GoBankingRates survey.
- A survey revealed by GoBankingRates observed that India is the second cheapest country to live as per its local purchasing power, rent, groceries and consumer price after South Africa.
- A person would need just Rs. 18,121 monthly to survive in an Indian city like Kolkata.
1.Saina Nehwal finishes 2nd at Indonesia Masters.
- Saina Nehwal lost to Tai Tzu Ying and finished as runner-up at the Indonesia Masters.
- This was Saina’s first appearance in an international competition’s final since her title triumph at Malaysia Masters in January last year.
2.Bopanna finishes as runner-up in Grand Slam Final.
- Rohan Bopanna, Indian tennis player, finished as runner-up in his 3rd Grand Slam final after losing the Australian Open mixed doubles final. Bopanna has lost 2 of his 3 Grand Slam finals.
- Bopanna and his Hungarian partner Timea Babos lost to Croatian-Canadian team of Mate Pavic and Gabriela Dabrowski. Interestingly, Bopanna had won his first Grand Slam with Dabrowski at French Open last year.
3.First Nepal player to get into IPL.
- Sandeep Lamichhane, 17-year old spinner, was bought by Delhi Daredevils, becoming the first Nepal player to be picked in IPL.
- He has played nine List A matches and is yet to play a professional T20 match.
Try some Quiz Questions now: Current Affairs Quiz, 28 January
- Daily Current Affairs: January 1
- Daily Current Affairs: January 2
- Daily Current Affairs: January 3
- Daily Current Affairs: January 4
- Daily Current Affairs: January 5
- Daily Current Affairs: January 6
- Daily Current Affairs: January 7
- Daily Current Affairs: January 8
- Daily Current Affairs: January 9
- Daily Current Affairs: January 10
- Daily Current Affairs: January 11
- Daily Current Affairs: January 12
- Daily Current Affairs: January 13
- Daily Current Affairs: January 14
- Daily Current Affairs: January 15
- Daily Current Affairs: January 16
- Daily Current Affairs: January 17
- Daily Current Affairs: January 18
- Daily Current Affairs: January 19
- Daily Current Affairs: January 20
- Daily Current Affairs: January 21
- Daily Current Affairs: January 22
- Daily Current Affairs: January 23
- Daily Current Affairs: January 24
- Daily Current Affairs: January 25
- Daily Current Affairs: January 26
- Daily Current Affairs: January 27
- Daily Current Affairs: January 28
- Daily Current Affairs: January 29