Daily Current Affairs 4th October 2023: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 4th October 2023. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 4th October 2023. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 4th October 2023 Current affairs test.
1. North America’s Grand Unveiling of B.R. Ambedkar Statue
- North America is set to unveil its ‘Statue of Equality,’ symbolizing B.R. Ambedkar, the chief architect of the Indian Constitution, in Maryland.
- At 19 feet, this will be the most prominent statue of Dr. Ambedkar outside of India, reflecting his profound impact on championing human rights and equality.
- The renowned sculptor, Ram Sutar, responsible for the ‘Statue of Unity’ dedicated to Sardar Patel, crafted this significant piece.
2. Jammu And Kashmir’s Basohli Pashmina Earns GI Tag
- The unique Basohli Pashmina from Kathua district in Jammu and Kashmir has received the prestigious Geographical Indication (GI) recognition.
- Renowned for its unmatched softness, lightness, and luxury, this hand-woven fabric offers a blend of warmth and elegance, making it a top pick among fashion enthusiasts.
- The Department of Industries and Commerce, NABARD Jammu, and the Human Welfare Association, Varanasi, collaborated to secure the GI tag, highlighting the craft’s rich heritage and economic relevance.
3. ‘Yashasvini’ – The All-Female CRPF Biking Expedition Commences
- The CRPF has flagged off an all-female biking journey named ‘Yashasvini’ from Srinagar, heading towards Gujarat.
- Initiating from Ghanta Ghar in Lal Chowk, the expedition underscores women’s empowerment.
- Spanning over 2134 kilometers and covering 15 states and Union Territories, the participants aim to support the “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao” initiative, inspiring women across diverse backgrounds.
4. MiG21 Retirement and LCA Mark 1A Introduction by IAF
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) outlines plans to retire the iconic MiG21 fighter jets by 2025 and replace them with the homegrown LCA Mark 1A.
- Having served for over six decades, the MiG21 is set for possibly its final global flypast, acknowledging its pivotal role in various defense missions of India.
- The Air Chief Marshal highlighted this transition during a media briefing, celebrating the MiG21’s enduring legacy.
5. SAMPRITI – The India-Bangladesh Joint Military Drill
- The 11th iteration of SAMPRITI, a joint military exercise between India and Bangladesh, has commenced in Umroi, Meghalaya.
- With its roots tracing back to 2009, SAMPRITI XI boasts around 350 participants from both nations, promoting tactical exchange and strengthening bilateral ties.
- The ongoing defense collaboration showcases the deep-rooted military bond between the two countries.
6. IAF’s Ambitious Weapons Acquisition Blueprint
- Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhari revealed IAF’s blueprint to channel investments ranging from Rs 2.5 lakh crore to Rs 3 lakh crore over the upcoming 6-7 years, primarily for arms acquisition.
- Aligning with the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ initiative, a major fraction of the procurements will be indigenous, with advancements in AI, electronic warfare, and cyber capabilities.
- Significant among the purchases, the IAF aims to acquire an additional 97 Tejas light combat aircraft MarkI, supplementing their prior order of 83 units.
7. World Bank Reaffirms India’s 6.3% GDP Growth for FY24
- Despite global economic uncertainties, the World Bank maintains its projection for India’s GDP growth at 6.3% for FY23-24.
- A robust domestic demand and a resilient financial sector underpin India’s economic growth, evidenced by an impressive 15.8% bank credit growth in the first quarter of FY23/24.
- Auguste Tano Kouame, representing the World Bank in India, stressed the pivotal role of public expenditure in spurring private investments and shaping future growth trajectories.
8. World Bank Revises India’s Inflation Prediction to 5.9% for FY24
- Following a surge in food prices in July 2023, the World Bank adjusted its inflation forecast for India for FY23-24, setting it at 5.9% from the previous 5.2%.
- Erratic monsoon rain patterns have been identified as a primary factor influencing this hike in prices.
- These updated figures precede the impending RBI monetary policy review, where the central bank, noting the stable inflation rates, is likely to sustain its earlier stance. RBI’s prior projection was at 5.4% for FY24.
Special Day Reports
9. World Animal Welfare Day 2023 Celebrations
- Marked globally on October 4th, World Animal Welfare Day or World Animal Day champions the cause of animal rights and their well-being.
- The day resonates with the legacy of St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals. It unifies animal lovers worldwide in promoting enhanced understanding and treatment for animals.
- This year’s theme, “Great or Small, Love Them All,” emphasizes recognizing animals as sentient entities and advocating for superior global standards in animal care and rights.
10. Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2023 Highlights the Essence of Early Detection
- October is dedicated globally to promoting awareness around breast cancer, spotlighting its prevention, diagnosis, and treatment methodologies.
- The month underscores the significance of early detection through routine examinations and mammograms and raises funds for research and therapeutic interventions.
- Originating in the 1980s, Breast Cancer Awareness Month has grown exponentially, playing a crucial role in elevating global understanding and improving outcomes for the affected individuals.
Daily News Summary – Various Categories
11. Commemorating World Teachers’ Day 2023
- Celebrated every October 5th, World Teachers’ Day offers a global platform to appreciate the immeasurable impacts of teachers on society. This day underscores the importance teachers hold in molding the future, while also highlighting the obstacles they tackle.
- This occasion is a testament to the transformative power teachers have in educational progression. They hold a distinct position in influencing their students’ future, advocating for sustainable futures, and finding satisfaction in their profession.
- The tradition began on October 5, 1994, remembering the 30th year since the 1966 conference. It’s now an esteemed global event celebrating teachers and their commitment to education.
12. 69th Wildlife Week Celebration in India
- The National Zoological Park inaugurated the 69th Wildlife Week, emphasizing the need for wildlife preservation in India.
- The theme for this year, “Partnerships for Wildlife Conservation,” signifies the joint efforts crucial for maintaining India’s vast biodiversity.
- These celebrations resonate with Mahatma Gandhi’s birth anniversary, symbolizing Ahinsa (nonviolence) and compassion for all creatures. The Wildlife Week, from October 2 to October 8, carries profound meaning.
Government Initiatives Update
13. PM SVANidhi Scheme’s New Achievement
- The PM SVANidhi scheme, aiming to assist street vendors, has now benefited over 50 lakh individuals. Street vendors play a pivotal role in the urban informal sector, serving urbanites with essential goods and services.
- Overseen by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, this scheme focuses on incorporating street vendors into the formal economy, granting them a chance for progress.
- Launched on June 1, 2020, the PM SVANidhi Scheme offers collateralfree loans up to 50,000 rupees for urban street vendors. This forwardthinking initiative supports the livelihoods of vendors and aims at the regularization of the urban informal sector, aligning with the country’s broader economic vision.
Business and Professional Movements
14. Leadership Transition at PayU
- Anirban Mukherjee, previously the CEO of PayU India, has been elevated to the global CEO position, succeeding Laurent Le Moal, who transitions to an advisory role for Prosus and PayU.
- In his upgraded role, Anirban will oversee PayU’s global operations, reporting directly to Ervin Tu, interim CEO of Prosus and Naspers, PayU’s parent firm. This leadership change signals a transformative phase for PayU, readying itself to navigate the evolving digital payment landscape.
- Boasting collaborations with over 70 prominent banks via its Wibmo platform, PayU India serves around 450,000 merchants and offers credit to over 2 million Indian customers. It continues to thrive, significantly influencing India’s burgeoning fintech scene.
Achievements and Recognitions
15. 2023 Nobel Prize in Chemistry Announcement
- Moungi G. Bawendi, Louis E. Brus, and Alexei I. Ekimov clinched the 2023 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for their pioneering work on quantum dots.
- These quantum dots are now fundamental to QLED technology found in computer displays and televisions. Additionally, they have applications in LED lighting and are used for biological tissue mapping in medical fields.
- This year’s Chemistry Nobel Prize honors the breakthroughs associated with quantum dots, with the prize amount being 11.0 million SEK.
16. Asian Games 2023 – Archery Achievements
- The Indian duo of Jyothi Surekha Vennam and Pravin Ojas Deotale clinched the gold medal in Compound Archery Mixed Team at the Asian Games 2023.
- The team bested the South Korean team by a narrow margin. It’s the first archery gold for India in this edition of the Games.
- India’s current medal tally stands impressive, while China, Japan, and South Korea are leading the medal board.
17. Asian Games 2023 – Javelin Triumph
- Annu Rani made history by becoming the first Indian woman to win a gold medal in javelin throw at the Asian Games 2023.
- Rani’s remarkable throw secured India’s 15th gold at the Games. She was followed by athletes from Sri Lanka and China, clinching the silver and bronze medals respectively.
18. Asian Games 2023 – Parul Chaudhary’s Stellar Performance
- Parul Chaudhary marked her victory in the women’s 5000m race at the 2023 Asian Games.
- This gold adds to India’s growing medal tally, marking the third gold from track and field for the country during these Games.
19. ICC’s Grand Announcement for World Cup 2023
- The ICC has appointed iconic cricketer Sachin Tendulkar as the ‘Global Ambassador’ for the upcoming Cricket World Cup 2023, set to commence in Ahmedabad, India.
- Tendulkar’s longstanding association with the World Cup, spanning from his days as a ball boy in 1987 to representing India in several editions, makes this decision fitting.
- The World Cup 2023 promises to be an exhilarating event, with Tendulkar’s presence undoubtedly heightening the excitement.