Daily Current Affairs 5 April 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 5 April 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 5 April 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 5 April 2018 Current affairs test.
1. Anti-lock brake made mandatory for 2-wheelers in Maharashtra
- The rule will apply only to two-wheelers having an engine capacity higher than 125 cc.
- The new system is expected to minimise road accidents by preventing brakes from locking up and bikes from skidding on slippery surfaces.
2. Highway construction hits all-time high
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari has announced that around 27 kms of roads were built every day.
- He added that the ministry aims to construct 40 kms per day in the current fiscal.
3. India becomes 2nd largest manufacturer of steel
- India has overtaken Japan to become world’s 2nd largest steel producer.
- China is the largest account of 50% of world’s steel production.
4. India’s 1st blockchain implemented
- RXIL, A.TreDS and M1xchange approved by the RBI had been set up to bring together buyers, sellers and financiers for discounting the MSME invoices and provide them with timely funding.
- This is billed as India’s 1st live blockchain implementation in the enterprise financial segment.
1. India 3rd most vulnerable country to cyber threats
- According to Internet Security Threat Report, US remains most vulnerable followed by China.
- In 2017, 5.09% of global threats were detected in India.
2. Hafiz Saeed’s party to contest polls
- Hafiz Saeed’s political party Milli Muslim League has vowed to contest the upcoming Pak elections despite US terrorist tag.
- Saeed himself has a $10 mn US bounty on his head.
3. Britons opting for Indian e-visas increase by 300% in 2 yrs
- The number has increased from 82,751 in 2015 to 3,27,798 in 2017 while application for traditional visas have dwindled by 55.6%
- E-visas are valid for 60 days and double entry.
4. Gurdwara features among top 10 faith places in England
- Europe’s largest Gurdwara located in the UK’s Smethwick has been listed among the top 10.
- Around 3,30,000 Sikhs live in the UK currently.
1. SBI Life appoints new MD & CEO
- SBI Life Insurance appointed Sanjeev Nautiyal as its new Managing Director and CEO.
- Nautiyal will replace Arijit Basu, who shall take over a key role in the State Bank of India Group.
2. Jio Payments Bank commences operations
- Jio Payments Bank Limited commenced operations as a payments bank on obtaining license from the RBI.
- Reliance Industries Limited, Mumbai was one of the 11 applicants which were issued an in-principle approval for setting up a payments bank.
3. First bi-monthly monetary statement released by RBI
- The repo rate is kept unchanged at 6.0%.
- The Reverse Repo Rate under the LAF remains at 5.75%, and the Marginal Standing Facility rate and the Bank Rate at 6.25%.
4. IndusInd to use WhatsApp for basic services
- The integration with WhatsApp will allow the bank to appear as a verified account while communicating with customers.
- The test phase will allow the bank to give transaction alerts.
1. Himanta Biswa Sarma elected BAI President
- Assam Health and Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma was unanimously elected the Badminton Association of India (BAI).
- Ajay Kumar Singhania was elected the Secretary-General of BAI.
2. Mirabai Chanu wins India’s 1st gold medal
- Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu has clinched the 1st gold medal for India at the Common Wealth Games 2018 held in Australia.
- She becomes the first Indian to win a gold medal at the CWG 2018.
3. Gururaja wins India’s 1st medal at CWG
- WeightlifterGururaja wanted to become a wrestler initially after seeing Sushil Kumar win bronze at 2008 Olympics.
- He is also an employee of IAF and had won gold at 2016 Commonwealth Championships.