Daily Current Affairs 5 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 5 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 5 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 5 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. ‘Kamov Ka-31’ Helicopters
- Defence Ministry has approved Rs 3600 crore deal for 10 ‘Kamov Ka-31’ Helicopters from Russia.
- The Kamov Ka-31 is a military helicopter developed for the Soviet Navy and currently in service in Russia, China and India in the naval airborne early warning and control role. As with all Kamov helicopters except the Ka-60/-62 family, the Ka-31 has co-axially mounted contra-rotating main rotors.
- The Ministry of Defence is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the Indian armed forces.
- The Minister of Defence Nirmala Sitharaman is the head of the Ministry of Defence of the Government of India. They are often assisted by a Minister of State for Defence and less-commonly, the lower-ranked Deputy Minister of Defence.
2. VAHAN Database
- The Road Transport and Highways Ministry has drafted a bulk data sharing policy and procedure – for sharing data regarding vehicle registration from the VAHAN database.
- Vehicle Database ‘VAHAN Database’ can only be used by companies that are registered in India and at least 50% Indian owned.
3. India to attend 45th G7 summit
- The 45th G7 summit will be held on August 25–27, 2019, in Biarritz, Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France.
- India may attend G7 meet on France’s invitation.
- In March 2014, the G7 declared that a meaningful discussion was currently not possible with Russia in the context of the G8. Since then, meetings have continued within the G7 process.
- The Group of Seven (G7) is a group consisting of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- The European Union is also represented at the G7 summit.
- These countries, with the seven largest IMF-described advanced economies in the world, represent 58% of the global net wealth ($317 trillion).
1. Top Military Officer of NATO
- United States Air Force General Tod D. Wolters was sworn in as NATO Commander.
- Tod Daniel Wolters is a United States Air Force four-star general who currently serves as the commander of U.S. European Command.
- He concurrently serves as NATO’s Supreme Allied Commander Europe. He previously served as the commander of U.S. Air Forces in Europe and U.S. Air Forces Africa.
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization, also called the North Atlantic Alliance, is an intergovernmental military alliance between 29 North American and European countries. The organization implements the North Atlantic Treaty that was signed on 4 April 1949.
2. World Laughter Day
- World Laughter Day is observed on the first Sunday of May every year
- The first celebration was on May 10, 1998, in Mumbai, India, and was arranged by Dr. Madan Kataria, founder of the worldwide Laughter Yoga movement.
3. WORLD PASSWORD DAY
- The Registrar of National Day Calendar has designated the first Thursday of May of each year as World Password Day.
- World Password Day is a celebration to promote better password habits. Passwords are critical gatekeepers to our digital identities, allowing us to access online shopping, dating, banking, social media, private work and life communications.
- Security researcher Mark Burnett first encouraged people to have a “password day,” where they update important passwords in his 2005 book Perfect Passwords.
- Inspired by his idea, Intel Security took the initiative to declare the first Thursday in May World Password Day in May 2013.
4. Peter Mayhew passes away
- Peter Mayhew was an English-American actor, best known for portraying Chewbacca in the Star Wars film series.
- He played the character in all of his live-action appearances from the 1977 original to 2015’s The Force Awakens before his retirement from the role.
- Star Wars is an American epic space-opera media franchise created by George Lucas. The franchise began with the eponymous 1977 film and quickly became a worldwide pop-culture phenomenon.
- A Wookiee warrior (Fictional) and Han Solo’s co-pilot aboard the Millennium Falcon, Chewbacca was part of a core group of Rebels who restored freedom to the galaxy.
1. Asian Development Outlook for Asia-Pacific Region
- According to Asian Development Outlook 2019, The Asia-Pacific region s expected to grow at 5.7% in 2019 and 5.6 % in 2020.
- The Asian Development Bank is a regional development bank established on 19 December 1966, which is headquartered in the OrtigasCenter located in the city of Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines. The company also maintains 31 field offices around the world to promote social and economic development in Asia.
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong (Manila), Philippines || Founded: 19 December 1966 || Purpose: Economic development || Membership: 68 countries || Motto: Fighting Poverty in Asia and the Pacific
2. Instagrammers of the Year 2019
- Instagram has announced the winners for Instagrammers of the Year 2019 for India.
- The initiative aims to acknowledge Instagram’s most engaging communities across India.
- Most Followed account of the year :- @priyankachopra
- Engaged account of the year :- @virat.kohli
- Storyteller of the year :- @deepikapadukone
- Rising star of the year :- @saraalikhan95
- Entertainment account of the year :- @bhuvan.bam22
- Food account of the year :- @poojadhingra
- Fashion account of the year :- @sejalkumar
3. Largest source of FDI in India
- The Netherlands has become third largest source of FDI in India during 2017-18
- 1. Mauritius (USD 13.41 billion)
- 2. Singapore (USD 9.27 billion)
- 3. The Netherlands (USD 2.67 billion)
- Netherlands :- Capital: Amsterdam || Currency: Euro, United States Dollar (USD)
1. 2019 New Zealand Open (badminton)
- The 2019 New Zealand Open has concluded in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Men’s Singles :- Jonatan Christie (Indonesia)
- Women’s Singles :- An Se-young (South Korea)
2. Football Leagues Winners
- La Liga Division (Spanish) :- FC Barcelona
- France Ligue 1 :- Paris Saint-Germain F.C
- Serie A League (Italy) :- Juventus F.C
3. Franck Ribéry to leave Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich announced that Franck Ribery would be leaving the club at the end of the season, with a testimonial match set for 2020.
- Franck Henry Pierre Ribéry is a French professional footballer who plays for German club Bayern Munich. He is a former France national team player. He primarily plays as a winger, preferably on the left side although being right-footed, and is known for pace, energy, skill and precise passing.
- FC Bayern Munich is a German sports club based in Munich, Bavaria.
- Manager: Niko Kovač || Arena/Stadium: Allianz Arena || Owner: UliHoeneß || Location: Munich, Germany
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31