Daily Current Affairs 5 January 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 5 January 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 5 January 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 5 January 2019 Current affairs test.
1. UK Sinha Committee
- RBI has constitute a Committee that will review the ‘current institutional framework in place to support MSMEs along with examining the factors affecting timely and adequate availability of capital.
- It is 8-member committee will be chaired by UK Sinha(former SEBI chairman).
2. Dibyendu Palit passes away
- Dibyendu Palit has passed away at 79.
- He was renowned Bengali writer and Sahitya Akademi awardee for his novel ‘Anubhab’ in 1998.
3. Cow welfare cess or ‘Gau Kalyan’ Cess
- Uttar Pradesh Govt. will implement a 0.5% cow welfare cess for constructing and maintaining cattle shelters.
- Uttar Pradesh cabinet has cleared a policy for the same.
4. ACI’s Ease of Doing Business index
- Andhra Pradesh has topped Asia Competitiveness Institute’s (ACI), Ease of Doing Business index 2018, followed by Maharashtra then Delhi.
- It is compiled by Tan Khee Giap who is the co-director of Asia competitiveness institute (ACI) at Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore.
1. Deputy Defence secretary of United States
- David Norquist has been named as Deputy Defence secretary of United States.
- He is currently Comptroller of Pentagon.
- The Pentagon, in Arlington County, Virginia, across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C., is the headquarters of the United States Department of Defence. As a symbol of the U.S. military, the phrase The Pentagon is often used as a metonym for the Department of Defence and its leadership.
- Patrick Michael Shanahan is the Acting United States Secretary of Defence since January 1, 2019, having replaced Jim Mattis, and the Deputy Secretary of Defence since July 19, 2017.
2. New Chief Justice of Pakistan
- Justice Asif Khosa has been appointed as the new Chief Justice of Pakistan.
- He will replace Justice Saqib Nisar.
3. Myanmar’s Independence Day
- Myanmar’s 71st Independence Day was observed on 4th January.
- Myanmar :- Capital : Naypyidaw || Official Language : Burmese || President : Win Myint || Currency : Kyat
4. Global Healthcare Summit 2019
- The 13th edition of Global Healthcare Summit 2019 will be held in Hyderabad from July 21 to 24.
- It will be organised by Global Association of Physicians of Indian Origin.
1. Google’s new Acquisition
- Google has acquired Superpod start-up.
- It will boost Google Assistant’s ability to accurately answer users’ questions.
2. MD and CEO of Thyssenkrupp Industries India
- Vivek Bhatia has been appointed as MD and CEO of Thyssenkrupp Industries India.
- Thyssenkrupp AG is a German multinational conglomerate with focus on industrial engineering and steel production. The company is based in Duisburg and Essen and divided into 670 subsidiaries worldwide. It is one of the world’s largest steel producers.
3. Oil PSUs with IIT Bombay
- Sevan Oil PSUs signed pact with IIT Bombay to set up centre of excellence in Oil, Gas and Energy.
- PSUs are as follows :- Indian Oil Corp (IOC || Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) || GAIL India Ltd || Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd (BPCL) || Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) || Oil India Ltd || Engineers India Ltd.
4. ICICI Bank with Small Business FinCredit India Pvt Ltd
- Both have inked an MOU to provide loans worth up to Rs 1 crore to MSMEs.
- Small Business FinCredit India (SBFC), headquartered in Mumbai, is a new-age financial services institution focused on providing credit to MSMEs
- Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India Bank Limited is an Indian multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- RBI has launched Survey on Retail Payment Habits of Individuals (SRPHi).
- It will capture payment habits of individuals in 6 cities:- Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru and Guwahati.
1. Mountaineer Arunima Sinha
- Arunima Sinha has become first woman amputee to climb Mount Vinson (highest peak of Antarctica).
- She earlier became the world’s first woman amputee to climb Mount Everest in 2013.
- Mount Vinson Massif is a large mountain massif in Antarctica that is 21 km long and 13 km wide and lies within the Sentinel Range of the Ellsworth Mountains. It overlooks the Ronne Ice Shelf near the base of the Antarctic Peninsula. The massif is located about 1,200 kilometres from the South Pole.
2. 2019 AFC Asian Cup
- The 2019 AFC Asian Cup will be the 17th edition of the AFC Asian Cup, the quadrennial international men’s football championship of Asia organised by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).
- It will be held in the United Arab Emirates from 5 January to 1 February 2019.
3. ITTF(International Table Tennis Federation) rankings
- Sharath Kamal :- 30
- G Sathiyan :- 31
- Manika Batra (Woman) :- 51