Daily Current Affairs 6 August 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 6 August 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 6 August 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 6 August 2018 Current affairs test
1. Festival of Democracy
- President Kovind inaugurated the ‘Festival of Democracy’ in Thiruvananthapuram.
- It is the occasion to mark the conclusion of the diamond jubilee celebrations of the Kerala legislative assembly.
2. Start-up India’s Academia Alliance Programme
- Start-up India has launched the Start-up Academia Alliance programme.
- It is a unique mentorship opportunity between academic scholars and start-ups working in similar domains.
3. International Conference on Sustainable Growth through Material Recycling
- International Conference on Sustainable Growth through Material Recycling inaugurated by Road Transport & Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra, New Delhi.
- The aim is to identify policy for the development and growth of material recycling in India towards creating more jobs, reduce dependence on exports, protect the environment etc.
4. Krishna Shripadrao Deshpande passed away
- Krishna Shripadrao Deshpande was an eminent library scientist from Karnataka.
- Deshpande set up and developed libraries at Karnataka University, Gulbarga University, UAS, Dharwad, Mangalore University, Bangalore University and Goa University.
1. Government imposes 120% tariffs on 29 US imports
- This will be in effect from September 18,2018.
- The product includes almonds, walnuts and apples.
2. Second-largest stock market in the world
- According to Bloomberg reports, Japan($6.17 trillion) surpassed China($6.09 trillion) and became second-largest stock market in the world.
- United States($31 trillion) is the world’s biggest market for stocks.
3. First Intertidal Art Gallery
- Intertidal art gallery called Coralarium is opened in Madives comprising of 30 Sculptures acting as a habitat for coral.
- It is Designed by British sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor.
4. 73rd anniversary of Little Boy by the US
- The world’s first atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945.
- Around 1.4 lakh people were killed in the blast.
1. GeM to be a 100% Government owned company
- Government e- Marketplace to be as a 100% Government owned company registered under the Companies Act, 2013 for providing online platform for procurement of common use goods and services by government organizations.
- Government e- Marketplace (GeM) is an online platform for government users which was launched on 9th August, 2016.
2. India Post Payments Bank is launched
- PM Modi will launch India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) with full scale that will have a minimum one branch in every district.
- The India Post Payments Bank scheduled to be launched on the 21st of August 2018 has been incorporated as a public sector company under the Department of Posts with 100% GOI equity and is governed by the Reserve Bank of India.
3. PepsiCo’s CEO to Step down
- PepsiCo’s first female CEO Indra Nooyi will step down after 12 years.
- Indra Nooyi will be succeeded by President Ramon Laguarta.
4. New MD of Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd.
- Anurag Sachan is appointed as Managing Director of Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd. (DFCCIL).
- He has been appointed to the post for a period up to July 31, 2020.
1. 6th Indian woman Tennis Player to be in WTA 200
- Karman Kaur Thandi leapfrogged 32 places and ranked 200th in the WTA currently.
- Sania Mirza achieved the career best Women’s Single ranking at 27 in 2007.
2. European Tour Title
- Gaganjeet Bhullar won his maiden European Tour Title(Fiji International).
- Gaganjeet Singh Bhullar is an Indian professional golfer who plays on the Asian Tour. He was awarded Arjun Award in 2013.
3. Biel Masters chess title
- Vaibhav Suri won the Biel Masters chess title.
- The Biel International Chess Festival takes place annually since 1968 in the Congress Centre Biel/Bienne, Switzerland.
4. Women’s Hockey World Cup
- Netherlands crowned as world champions for the eighth time.
- Netherlands defeated Ireland 6–0 in the final. Spain won Bronze Medal.