Daily Current Affairs 7 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 7 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 7 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 7 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. INS Ranjit
- INS Ranjit is set to be decommissioned.
- INS Ranjit is the third of the five Rajput-class destroyers built for the Indian Navy. Ranjit was commissioned on 24 November 1983 and remained in service till 6 May 2019.
2. VK Krishna Menon Award 2019
- Indian –origin journalist GD ‘Robert’ Govender was conferred with VK Krishna Menon Award 2019.
- It was for his contribution as a pioneer of decolonised journalism.
- Vengalil Krishnan Krishna Menon was an Indian nationalist, diplomat, and politician, described by some as the second most powerful man in India, after his ally, 1st Prime Minister of India Jawaharlal Nehru.
3. Aditya- L1 mission
- ISRO is planning to launch Aditya- L1 mission to study the sun early in 2020.
- It will study the sun’s outer most layers, the corona and the chromospheres and collect data about coronal mass ejection
- The Indian Space Research Organisation is the space agency of the Government of India headquartered in the city of Bengaluru.
- Headquarters: Bengaluru || Founder: Vikram Sarabhai || Founded: 15 August 1969 || Director: Kailasavadivoo Sivan || Subsidiary: Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
1. World Asthma Day
- World Asthma Day is an annual event organized by the Global Initiative for Asthma to improve asthma awareness and care around the world.
- World Asthma Day takes place on the first Tuesday of May.
- The inaugural World Asthma Day was held in 1998.
- Theme:- ‘STOP for Asthma’
2. India, Brazil and South Africa (IBSA) Sherpas’ Meet
- India Brazil and South Africa (IBSA) Sherpas’ meeting was held in Cochin, Kerala.
- The IBSA (India, Brazil, South Africa) is an international tripartite grouping for promoting international cooperation among these countries.
- It represents three important poles for galvanizing South-South cooperation and greater understanding between three important continents of the developing world namely, Africa, Asia and South America.
- It provides the three countries with a platform to engage in discussions for cooperation in the field of agriculture, trade, culture, and defence among others.
3. Global Registry of Violent Deaths (GReVD)
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) has launched new initiative named Global Registry of Violent Deaths.
- The aim is to count deaths caused by all forms of violence around the world and show these in open-source database.
- It will focus on ‘Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)-Goal 16’ which is aimed at ‘significantly reduce all forms of violence and related death rates everywhere’.
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute is an international institute based in Sweden, dedicated to research into conflict, armaments, arms control and disarmament.
- Headquarters: Solna Municipality, Sweden || Founder: Government of Sweden || Founded: 6 May 1966
1. ADB’s Healthy Oceans Action Plan
- Asian Development Bank has launched a $5 Billion Action Plan for Healthy Oceans and Sustainable Blue Economies for Asia and Pacific Region.
- The Asian Development Bank is a regional development bank established on 19 December 1966, which is headquartered in the Ortigas Center located in the city of Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines. The company also maintains 31 field offices around the world to promote social and economic development in Asia.
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines || Founded: 19 December 1966 || Purpose: Economic development || Membership: 68 countries || Motto: Fighting Poverty in Asia and the Pacific
- Asia-Pacific or Asia Pacific is the part of the world in or near the Western Pacific Ocean. The region varies in area depending on which context, but it typically includes much of East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and Oceania.
2. Vodafone Idea with IBM
- Vodafone Idea Ltd has inked a multi-million-dollar IT outsourcing deal with IBM for 5 years.
- Vodafone Idea Limited is India’s largest telecom operator with its headquarter based in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. Vodafone Idea is a pan-India integrated GSM operator offering 2G, 3G and 4G mobile services under two brands named Vodafone and Idea.
- Balesh Sharma is the CEO of Vodafone Idea.
- International Business Machines Corporation is an American multinational information technology company headquartered in Armonk, New York, with operations in over 170 countries.
- IBM:- CEO: Ginni Rometty || Founder: Charles Ranlett Flint || Founded: 16 June 1911, New York || Headquarters: Armonk, New York, United States
3. Azure Blockchain Service
- Microsoft has unveiled its own Blockchain-Based Service ‘Azure Blockchain Service’.
- It will help in formation, management, and governance so that businesses can focus on workflow logic and application development.
- Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational technology company with headquarters in Redmond, Washington. It develops, manufactures, licenses, supports and sells computer software, consumer electronics, personal computers, and related services.
4. Monetary Penalty on Pre-paid Payment Instrument Issuers
- RBI has imposed a monetary penalty on Vodafone m-pesa and Phonepe (pre-paid payment instrument issuers) for violating regulatory guidelines.
- Prepaid payment instruments are methods that facilitate purchase of goods and services against the value stored on such instruments. The value stored on such instruments represents the value paid for by the holder, by cash, by debit to a bank account, or by credit card.
- Instruments like smart cards, online and mobile accounts, magnetic stripe cards, food cards and internet wallets (PayTm, PhonePe, Freecharge) are examples of Prepaid Payment Instruments.
1. Asian squash championship
- Saurav Ghosal and Joshna Chinappa emerged champions in the Asian squash championship in Men’s and Women’s Event.
- Joshna Chinappa is an Indian professional squash player. She reached a career-high world ranking of World No. 10 in July 2016. Joshna was the first Indian to win the British Squash Championship title in 2003 in the under 19 category and was also the youngest Indian women’s national champion.
- Saurav Ghosal is a professional squash player from India and reached a career-high world ranking of World No. 10 in April 2019. He completed his schooling at Lakshmipat Singhania Academy in Kolkata.
2. Feliks Stamm International Boxing Tournament 2019
- Feliks Stamm International Boxing Tournament 2019 was held in Warsaw, Poland
- India has won a total 6 medals(2 Gold, 1 silver and 3 bronze medal).
- Fly (52-kg) Category :- Gaurav Solanki || Gold
- Light (60-kg) category :- Manish Kaushik || Gold
3. New head coach for Indian Men’s Volleyball team
- Dragan Mihailovic of Serbia has been appointed as new head coach for Indian Men’s Volleyball team.
- It was appointed by the Volleyball Federation of India (VFI).
- Volleyball Federation of India: Founded: 1951 || Headquarters : Bangalore || President : S Vasudevan
- Daily Current Affairs: May 1
- Daily Current Affairs: May 2
- Daily Current Affairs: May 3
- Daily Current Affairs: May 4
- Daily Current Affairs: May 5
- Daily Current Affairs: May 6
- Daily Current Affairs: May 7
- Daily Current Affairs: May 8
- Daily Current Affairs: May 9
- Daily Current Affairs: May 10
- Daily Current Affairs: May 11
- Daily Current Affairs: May 12
- Daily Current Affairs: May 13
- Daily Current Affairs: May 14
- Daily Current Affairs: May 15
- Daily Current Affairs: May 16
- Daily Current Affairs: May 17
- Daily Current Affairs: May 18
- Daily Current Affairs: May 19
- Daily Current Affairs: May 20
- Daily Current Affairs: May 21
- Daily Current Affairs: May 22
- Daily Current Affairs: May 23
- Daily Current Affairs: May 24
- Daily Current Affairs: May 25
- Daily Current Affairs: May 26
- Daily Current Affairs: May 27
- Daily Current Affairs: May 28
- Daily Current Affairs: May 29
- Daily Current Affairs: May 30
- Daily Current Affairs: May 31