Daily Current Affairs 7 January 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 7 January 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 7 January 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 7 January 2018 Current affairs test.
1. Railways to equip country’s all 8,500 stations with Wi-Fi
- It is expected to be complete by March 2019 at an estimated cost of Rs.700 cr.
- Presently, 216 railway stations are offering Wi-Fi under the Digital India initiative.
2. Over 900 flights to be cancelled before Jan 26th
- Delhi International Airport Limited has asked airlines to cancel all domestic flights scheduled from Jan 18 to Jan 26.
- This may lead to cancellation of more than 100 domestic flights each day for Republic Day parade rehearsals.
3. Haj House in UP repainted
- The outer walls of the Haj House in UP which were painted saffron by the govt have been repainted white.
- Painting the walls saffron had triggered opposition from various political parties and seminary Darul Uloom.
1. 22 killed in ‘bomb cyclone’ along US’ east coast
- Temperature fell as low as -42 degree Celsius.
- The cold weather disrupted flight services and also caused power outages.
2. Iran declares victory over anti-govt protests
- The IRGC blamed countries including the US, Israel and Saudi Arabia for the unrest.
- More than 1,000 were arrested during the protests that began in December.
3. China’s space lab could fall to Earth by March
- Tiangong-1 had been declared “out of control” by China in 2016.
- Most of the 8.5 tonne station is expected to burn during re-entry to Earth, but humans can come in contact with the remnants of toxic rocket fuel.
1. 1,400 bad loan accounts owe govt banks over Rs.100 cr each
- SBI alone had 265 accounts with bad loans totalling to Rs.77,538 cr.
- PNB had 143 such bad loan accounts owing the bank Rs.45,973 cr.
2. Benchmark to sell 15% of Uber stock for $900 mn
- Benchmark Capital will sell about 15% of its stock to SoftBank and other buyers.
- Uber’s co-founder Travis Kalanick is also planning to sell 29% of his Uber stake for about $1.4 bn
3. Ending extension of H-1B visas bad policy : US industry body
- The policy would be contrary to the goals of a merit-based immigration system.
- The proposal, if implemented, would also result in self-deportation of around 7 lakh Indians.
1. PV Sindhu defeats world number 1 in PBL
- PV Sindhu defeated world number 1 Tai Tzu Ying of Chinese Taipei in the Premier Badminton League.
- Chennai later won the tie against Ahmedabad 2-1.
2. Cook youngest to 12,000 runs
- England’s Alastair Cook beat Sachin’s record of being the youngest cricketer to reach 12,000 test runs.
- Cook beat Tendulkar by a margin of over 2 years.