Daily Current Affairs 7th 8th October 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 7th 8th October 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 7th 8th October 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 7th 8th October 2020 Current affairs test.
1. Sittwe port
- Indian-built Sittwe port in the Rakhine state of Myanmar to be operational in 2021.
- Myanmar: Capital: Naypyitaw || Currency: Burmese kyat || President: Win Myint.
2. BRICS Summit
- The 12th BRICS Summit to be hosted by Russia, is scheduled to be held on 17th November 2020 virtually.
- Theme: ‘BRICS Partnership for Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth’
- BRICS is the acronym coined for an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The BRICS members are known for their significant influence on regional affairs. Since 2009, the BRICS nations have met annually at formal summits.
Science and Technology News
1. India’s fastest Supercomputer
- Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) Pune to commission India’s fastest Supercomputer ‘PARAM Siddhi – AI’.
- C-DAC: Director General: Hemant Darbari || C-DAC Headquarters: Pune.
1. New Chairman of SBI
- Dinesh Kumar Khara has been appointed as the new Chairman of SBI replacing Rajnish Kumar.
- SBI: Founded: 1 July 1955 || Headquarters: Mumbai.
2. New Deputy Governor of RBI
- M Rajeshwar Rao has been named as the new Deputy Governor of RBI.
- M Rajeshwar Rao is currently the executive director of Reserve Bank of India.
1. World Cotton Day
- World Cotton Day is observed on 7th October globally since 2019.
- Celebrating the advantages of cotton, ranging from its qualities as a natural fibre.
1. Ram Vilas Paswan passes away
- Union minister of consumer affairs & food Ram Vilas Paswan has passed away.
- Ram Vilas Paswan was an Indian politician from Bihar and the Cabinet Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution. Paswan was also the president of the Lok Janshakti Party, eight-time Lok Sabha member and current Rajya Sabha MP.
Agreements and MoUs
1. Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center with NCERT
- An MoU is signed between the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC) and NCERT to convert NCERT books into Indian Sign Language.
- NCERT: Director: Hrushikesh Senapaty || President: Ramesh Pokhriyal || Headquarters: New Delhi || Founder: Government of India || Founded: 1961
Award, Rankings and Indexes
1. Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2020
- Winner: Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna for the development of a method for genome editing.
- It is awarded by The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden.
2. Nobel Prize in Literature 2020
- The 2020 Nobel Prize in Literature is awarded to the American poet Louise Glück “for her unmistakable poetic voice that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal.”
- The will of the Swedish chemist, engineer and industrialist Alfred Nobel established the five Nobel prizes in 1895.
3. Lifetime Achievement Award by Indo-American Chamber of Commerce
- Indo-American Chamber of Commerce has presented lifetime achievement award to Ratan Tata.
- IACC- India National President: Purnachandra Rao Surapaneni.
1. Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘Vigraha’
- Indian Coast Guard 7th Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘Vigraha’ has been launched at the Kattupalli port, Chennai.
- The vessel ‘Vigraha’ is built by Larsen and Toubro.
- Indian Coast Guard: Director General: Krishnaswamy Natarajan.