Daily Current Affairs 8 August 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 8 August 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 8 August 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try
8 August 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Quit India movement
- India observes 77th anniversary of Quit India Movement on 8th August.
- The Quit India Movement, or the August Movement, was a movement launched at the Bombay session of the All-India Congress Committee by Mahatma Gandhi on 8 August 1942, during World War II, demanding an end to British Rule of India.
2. e-Rozgar Samachar
- The e-version of Rozgar Samachar has been launched by Minister of Information & Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar.
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting is a ministerial level agency of the Government of India responsible for the formulation and administration of rules, regulations and laws in the areas of information, broadcasting, the press and the Cinema of India.
3. Women Startup Summit 2019
- India’s largest Women Startup Summit 2019 was held in Kochi.
- It is aimed at encouraging aspiring women professionals to take up entrepreneurial journey.
- It was hosted by Kerala Startup Mission in association with the Indian women network floated by Confederation of Indian Industries.
1. UN Palestine Refugee Agency
- India has contributed USD 5 million to UN Palestine Refugee Agency.
- The amount was hand over to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees.
- Created in December 1949, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) is a relief and human development agency which supports more than 5 million registered Palestinian refugees
2. Bangladesh with Russia
- Bangladesh has inked a deal with Russia for the supply of uranium for its Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant(2400 MW).
- Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant is an under-construction 2.4 GWe nuclear power plant in Bangladesh. The nuclear power plant is being constructed at Rooppur.
3. International Army Scout Masters Competition
- The 5th edition of International Army Scout Masters Competition was inaugurated at the Jaisalmer Military Station, Rajasthan.
- Army Scout Master Teams from Armenia, Belarus, China, Kazakhstan, Russia, Sudan, Uzbekistan and India.
- Chief of Indian Army: General BipinRawat.
4. Toni Morrison passes away
- Toni Morrison, the 1993 Nobel laureate in literature has passed away.
- Toni Morrison was an American novelist, essayist, editor, teacher and professor emeritus at Princeton University.
1. MD and CEO of LIC HFL
- Siddhartha Mohanty has been appointed as MD and CEO of LIC HFL.
- LIC Housing Finance Limited is one of the largest housing finance companies in India having its Registered and Corporate office at Mumbai.
- LIFE INSURANCE CORPORATION OF INDIA holds founder, promoter & controller status in LIC HFL Company since Year 1989. LIC HFL is associate/subsidiary company of LIC OF INDIA.
2. Flipkart Samarth
- Flipkart has launched ‘Flipkart Samarth’ to empower Indian Artisans, Weavers and Craftsmen.
- Flipkart Internet Private Limited is an e-commerce company based in Bengaluru, India. Founded by Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal in 2007, the company initially focused on book sales, before expanding into other product categories such as consumer electronics, fashion, and lifestyle products.
- CEO: Kalyan Krishnamurthy || Founded: October 2007
- Walmart Inc. is an American multinational retail corporation that operates a chain of hypermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores, headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas. The company was founded by Sam Walton in 1962 and incorporated on October 31, 1969.
3. NEFT on a 24×7 basis
- RBI has decided to allow fund transfers through NEFT on a 24×7 basis from December.
- RBI had last month removed charges it levied on NEFT and RTGS transactions.
- National Electronic Funds Transfer is an electronic funds transfer system maintained by the Reserve Bank of India. Started in November 2005, the setup was established and maintained by Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology.
4. Central Payment Fraud Registry
- RBI has decided to set a Central Payment Fraud Registry to track frauds in the payment systems.
- The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central banking institution, which controls the issuance and supply of the Indian rupee. Until the Monetary Policy Committee was established in 2016, it also controlled monetary policy in India.
- Headquarters: Mumbai || Founder: British Raj || Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata || Governor: Shaktikanta Das
1. Dwayne Johnson retires
- ‘The Rock’ Dwayne Johnson has announced retirement from World Wrestling Entertainment.
- World Wrestling Entertainment is an American integrated media and entertainment company that is primarily known for professional wrestling. WWE has also branched out into other fields, including movies, real estate, and various other business ventures.
2. Diego forlan retires
- Diego Forlan is a Uruguayan former professional footballer who played as a forward.
- At club level, Forlán is a two-time winner of both the Pichichi Trophy and the European Golden Shoe.
3. National Games of India
- 2018 – Goa (36th)
- 2019 – Chhattisgarh (37th)
- 2021 – Uttrakhand (38th)
- 2022 – Meghalaya (39th)