Daily Current Affairs 8 December 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 8 December 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 8 December 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 8 December 2018 Current affairs test.
1. Military Literature Festival 2018
- Military Literature Festival 2018 has started in Chandigarh.
- It is a joint initiative of military historian and Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh and Punjab Governor VP Singh Badnore.
2. Shahpurkandi Dam Project
- Govt. has approved the implementation of the Shahpurkandi Dam Project, Punjab on river Ravi.
- The central assistance of Rs. 485.38 crore will be provided for five years.
3. Upgrade Doordarshan and All India Radio
- Finance ministry has approved Rs 850 crore investment to upgrade Doordarshan and All India Radio.
- It is on the recommendation of an expert committee in 2014 led by Sam Pitroda for FY19 and FY20.
4. Book release
- 1. ‘Blue Waters Ahoy!’ :- Authored by Vice Admiral Anup Singh || Released by CNS Admiral Sunil Lamba
- 2. ‘The Republican Ethic’ or ‘Loktantra ke Swar’ :- It is compilation of selected speeches made by the President Kovind and was released by VP Venkaiah Naidu.
1. International Year of Millets
- Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) will observe an International Year of Millets in 2023.
- It was India’s proposal to observe an International Year of Millets in 2023, which has been accepted by FAO Council in Rome.
2. World’s Largest Arabic Audio Library
- ‘The Dubai Audio Library’ has been launched by Dubai Crown Prince Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.
- Dubai is a city and emirate in the United Arab Emirates known for luxury shopping, ultramodern architecture and a lively nightlife scene. Burj Khalifa, an 830m-tall tower, dominates the skyscraper-filled skyline. At its foot lies Dubai Fountain, with jets and lights choreographed to music. On artificial islands just offshore is Atlantis, The Palm, a resort with water and marine-animal parks.
3. 1st Country to make Public Transport free
- Luxembourg has become the first country to make all its public transport free.
- Luxembourg:- Capital: Luxembourg City || Currency: Euro
4. 2018 Gleitsman Award
- Malala Yousafzai has been honoured with 2018 Gleitsman Award by Harvard University.
- The award is for her global movement to equip girls with free, quality and safe education.
5. International Civil Aviation Day
- International Civil Aviation Day was observed on Dec 7.
- Theme :- ‘Working Together to Ensure No Country is Left Behind’.
1. Apple’s New Acquisition
- Apple has acquired London-based creative services and music start-up Platoon.
- Apple Inc. is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Cupertino, California, that designs, develops, and sells consumer electronics, computer software, and online services.
2. Media consumption rate in India
- The ‘Media consumption in India’ has grown at 9.0% (Annual per capita rate) for past six years.
- It is a joint report named ‘One Consumer, Many Interactions’ released by the Confederation of Indian Industries and the Boston Consulting Group.
3. Global Carbon Project
- Acc. to a report from Global Carbon Project, India is the 4th highest carbon dioxide emitter.
- 1. China (27%)
- 2. US (15%)
- 3. European Union (10%)
- 4. India (7%)
4. Ombudsman Scheme for Digital Transactions
- RBI is going to induct ‘Ombudsman Scheme for Digital Transactions’ to redress grievances of customers related to digital transactions.
- An ombudsman is an official, usually appointed by government, who investigates complaints (usually lodged by private citizens) against businesses, financial institutions or government departments or other public entities, and attempts to resolve the conflicts or concerns raised.
1. ‘Human Rights Standards’ in 2024 Olympic
- IOC has set up an Advisory committee on human rights in Olympic host-city contracts beginning form Paris 2024 Olympic.
- Head of this Committee :- Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein
2. International Admiral’s Cup Regatta 2018
- Italy has won the 9th edition of International Admiral’s Cup Regatta 2018.
- 1. Italy
- 2. Singapore
- 3. USA
- 4. Indian Naval Academy
- International Admiral’s Cup Regatta 2018 was held in Ettikulam Beach at Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala, Kerala.
3. Asian Tour Order of Merit title
- Shubhankar Sharma has emerged as 2018 Asian Tour Order of Merit champion.
- Shubhankar Sharma is a professional golfer from India currently playing on the Asian Tour. In December 2017, he recorded his first tour win in the Joburg Open and followed this with a second win at the Maybank Championship in February 2018.