Daily Current Affairs 8 January 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 8 January 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 8 January 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 8 January 2019 Current affairs test.
1. Rail Kumbh Seva Mobile App
- The ‘Rail Kumbh Seva Mobile App‘ is launched by North Central Railway.
- It will help people navigating through Prayagraj and also will also provide information regarding all the ‘Mela special’ trains.
2. Mandal Dam in Jharkhand
- PM Modi has laid the foundation of several irrigation projects, including the revival of Mandal Dam project in Jharkhand.
- Chief minister: Raghubar Das || Capital: Ranchi
- Draupadi Murmu is an Indian politician from Mayurbhanj, Odisha. She has served as Governor of Jharkhand since May 2015.
3. 70-Point Grading Index
- Human Resource Development Ministry has inducted a 70-Point Grading Index to assess the quality of Education in School offered by states.
- Marks out of 1000 scores on 70 parameters.
4. National Conclave on Accomplishments and Way Forward for Textiles Sector
- ‘National Conclave on Accomplishments and Way Forward for Textiles Sector’ was held in New Delhi.
- VP M Venkaiah Naidu conferred textiles award on 17 persons for their contribution in textiles sector.
1. Norwegian PM visits India
- PM Erna Solberg of Norway has arrived in New Delhi on a three-day state visit.
- She will participate in the Indo-Norwegian Business Conference.
2. Sultan Muhammad V stepped down
- Malaysia’s monarch Sultan Muhammad V has resigned from the throne.
- Sultan Muhammad V is the current Sultan of Kelantan and served as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia from December 2016 to January 2019. He was proclaimed Sultan of Kelantan on 13 September 2010, succeeding his father, Sultan Ismail Petra, who was deemed incapacitated by illness.
3. The 76th Golden Globe Awards
- The 76th Golden Globe Awards to honour the best in films and television of calendar year 2018 was held at Beverly Hills, California.
- Best Motion Picture – Drama :- Bohemian Rhapsody
- Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy :- Green Book
- Best Actor – Drama:- Rami Malek for “Bohemian Rhapsody”
- Best Actress – Drama :-Glenn Close for “The Wife”
- Best Director :- Alfonso Cuaron for “Roma”
- Best Foreign Language Film: Roma (Mexico)
4. World Bank Group President to step down
- Jim Yong Kim will step down from his position on February 1.
- The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans to countries of the world for capital projects. It comprises two institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, and the International Development Association. The World Bank is a component of the World Bank Group.
1. 1%‘calamity cess’ by Kerala
- Group of States’ Finance Ministers (GoFM) has approved levy of 1%‘calamity cess’ by Kerala for two years to fund rehabilitation.
- Group of States’ Finance Ministers was led by Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar Sushil Kumar Modi.
2. Bimal Roy Memorial and Film Society
- Actor Asha Parekh and Farooque Shaikhat will be honoured by Bimal Roy Memorial and Film Society, commemorating 52nd death anniversary of the renowned filmmaker Bimal Roy.
- Bimal Roy was an Indian film director. He is particularly noted for his realistic and socialistic films such as Do Bigha Zamin, Parineeta, Biraj Bahu, Madhumati, Sujata, Parakh and Bandini, making him an important director of Hindi cinema.
3. Yarn Bank Scheme by PowerTex India
- Govt. has launched a Yarn Bank Scheme as of the component of PowerTex India to alter fluctuation in yarn price.
- Yarn is a long continuous length of interlocked fibres, suitable for use in the production of textiles, sewing, crocheting, knitting, weaving, embroidery, or rope making. Thread is a type of yarn intended for sewing by hand or machine.
4. Gita Gopinath has joined IMF
- Gita Gopinath has joined IMF as its chief economist replacing Maurice Obstfeld, who retired on December 31.
- She is an Indian-American economist who currently serves as the chief economist at the International Monetary Fund. She is also the John Zwaanstra Professor of International Studies and Economics at Harvard University.
1. Maharashtra Open 2019
- The 2019 Maharashtra Open (also known as the Tata Open Maharashtra for sponsorship reasons) is a 2019 ATP World Tour tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts. It will be the 24th edition of the only ATP tournament played in India and will take place in Pune, India.
- Singles :- South Africa Kevin Anderson
- Doubles :- India Rohan Bopanna and Divij Sharan
2. Senior National’s Judo Championship
- Constable Rani has won gold medal in Senior National’s Judo Championship.
- Constable Rani is the Lady head Constable of 5th Indian Reserve Battalion of Himachal Pradesh Police.
3. I-League’s Youngest Goal Scorer
- Rohit Danu of Indian Arrows FC has become the youngest goal-scorer in the I-League.
- Indian Arrows is an Indian football club located in Delhi, that compete in the I-League. The club was formed with the main goal of nurturing young Indian football talents. After disbanding in 2013, the project was revived as Indian Arrows in 2017.
- The I-League is a men’s professional football league in India. For sponsorship reasons, the league is officially known as the Hero I-League. One of the top football leagues in the country, it currently shares the top spot in the Indian football system with the Indian Super League.