Daily Current Affairs 8 June 2017: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This article, Daily Current Affairs 8 June 2017, includes all Major National, International, Business, and Sports events. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through this article, that is, Daily Current Affairs 8 June 2017, we would recommend to you to try 8 June 2017 Current affairs test.
1. IIT Delhi is India’s highest-ranked Institute.
- According to QS World University Rankings 2018 IIT-Delhi has replaced IISc as the best ranked Indian institution in the world.
- IIT-Delhi has risen from 185 rank to 172 this year while IISc slipped over 30 places from 152 to 190.
- This is the first time in 14 years India has three institutes in the top 200 list.
- IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay and IISc Bangalore are amongst the top 200 universities in the world.
- Delhi University, for the first time, entered the top 500 group.
- MIT topped the list for 6th consecutive year followed by Stanford and Harvard University.
2. Fuel prices to change daily.
- State-run oil companies will revise petrol and diesel prices every day in sync with international rates from 16 June onwards.
- Currently, the fuel prices are reviewed by the oil companies every fortnight while taking global fuel prices and Rs-Dollar exchange rate into account.
- It will make the retail prices more reflective of the current market conditions.
- Diesel and petrol prices move in tandem with the price of crude oil in most countries.
- Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas – Dharmendra Pradhan
3. Human Milk Bank inaugurated.
- Health Secretary C K Mishra inaugurated the ‘Vatsalya – Maatri Amrit Kosh’, a National Human Milk Bank and Lactation Counselling Centre at the Lady Hardinge Medical College.
- The bank would provide life-saving human milk to all new-borns in and around Delhi.
- The bank will collect, pasteurise, test and store milk donated by lactating mothers and make it available for infants in need.
- It has been set up in collaboration with the Norwegian government, Oslo University and Norway India Partnership Initiative
- It would be the largest human milk bank and lactation counselling centre available under the public sector in North India.
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare – J.P. Nadda
Sahithi Pingali to get a planet named after her.
- Sahithi Pingali a class 12 student from Bengaluru will get a minor planet in Milky Way named after her.
- She represented India and finished second at ISEF, world’s largest international pre-college science competition following which MIT decided to name a planet after her.
- She had developed a mobile application which obtains data by crowdsourcing to measure pollution in lakes.
1. Indian American among 12 astronauts chosen by NASA.
- Indian American Lt Col Raja “Grinder”, commander of the 461st Flight Test Squadron has been chosen by NASA.
- NASA has chosen 12 new astronauts who will be trained for missions into Earth orbit and to deep space.
- This is the largest group NASA has selected in almost two decades.
- He is the 3rd Indian origin NASA astronaut after Sunita Williams and late Kalpana Chawla.
- Full form of NASA – National Aeronautics and Space Administration
2. India among top 5 consumer markets.
- According to BMI Research India is among the top five consumer markets in Asia.
- According to the report India is expected to offer retailers consumer spending growth of an average of 6.1 per cent over the next five years.
- Key factors responsible for increase in consumer spending include, increasing access to consumer credit, lower inflation, and a more favourable regulatory environment for foreign-owned retailers.
- China, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Indonesia are other favourite consumer markets in Asia.
3. First World Pest Day launched.
- The first World Pest Day was launched in China.
- It aims to increase awareness of pest-borne diseases and safeguard public health through scientific and professional pest control methods.
- The inaugural World Pest Day was initiated by the Chinese Pest Control Association.
- President of China – Xi Jinpin
1. 4G download speed in India three times below global average.
- According to a report by OpenSignal, download speeds in India have dropped more than one megabit per second in the last six months.
- This is due to surge in traffic because of free services offered by Reliance Jio.
- Average 4G download speed in India is 5.1Mbps which is less than 1/3rd of the global average speed of 16.2 Mbps.
- India ranked 74th below Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- Singapore scored the highest in 4G speed while South Korea scored highest in 4G availability.
2. Axis Bank launches Biodegradable prepaid gift cards.
- Axis Bank has become the first bank in India to introduce biodegradable cards.
- The card is made up of Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol and unlike regular cards can decompose.
- It will also have a positive impact on the environment because of their ability to break down, safely and relatively quickly into the raw materials of nature and disappear into the environment.
- The card will be acceptable at all domestic merchant outlets and online portals.
- CEO of Axis Bank – Shikha Sharma
1. Manchester United named most valuable football club.
- Manchester United has replaced Real Madrid as the world’s most valuable football team, according to the annual list published by Forbes.
- United were valued at USD 3.69 billion, an 11% jump compared to last year.
- Barcelona was second on the list while Real Madrid stood third on the list.
- Manchester United finished sixth on the Premier League.
2. Virat Kohli in Forbes list of highest paid athletes.
- Virat Kohli is the only athlete from India to feature among the world’s 100 highest paid athletes in the latest Forbes list.
- Kohli has been ranked 89th while Cristiano Ronaldo topped the list.
- Kohli with a total pay of USD 22 million in a year; USD 3 million through salary and USD 19 million from brand endorsements stood at 89th position.
- Serena Williams was the lone woman on the list with an estimated income of USD 27 million.
- Daily Current Affairs: June 1
- Daily Current Affairs: June 2
- Daily Current Affairs: June 3
- Daily Current Affairs: June 4
- Daily Current Affairs: June 5
- Daily Current Affairs: June 6
- Daily Current Affairs: June 7
- Daily Current Affairs: June 8
- Daily Current Affairs: June 9
- Daily Current Affairs: June 10
- Daily Current Affairs: June 11
- Daily Current Affairs: June 12
- Daily Current Affairs: June 13
- Daily Current Affairs: June 14
- Daily Current Affairs: June 15
- Daily Current Affairs: June 16
- Daily Current Affairs: June 17
- Daily Current Affairs: June 18
- Daily Current Affairs: June 19
- Daily Current Affairs: June 20
- Daily Current Affairs: June 21
- Daily Current Affairs: June 22
- Daily Current Affairs: June 23
- Daily Current Affairs: June 24
- Daily Current Affairs: June 25
- Daily Current Affairs: June 26
- Daily Current Affairs: June 27
- Daily Current Affairs: June 28
- Daily Current Affairs: June 29
- Daily Current Affairs: June 30