Daily Current Affairs 8 March 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 8 March 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 8 March 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 8 March 2018 Current affairs test.
1.1993 Mumbai blasts accused and Dawood’s aide arrested
- Farooq Takla was deported to India after being arrested in Dubai.
- Farooq, against whom an Interpol notice was issued in 1995, had fled India after the blasts which killed 257 people.
2.Delhi Govt’s Women’s Day gift: panic buttons
- Delhi government has announced a pilot project under which state-run buses would be installed with Panic Alarm Systems.
- The project is being implemented in collaboration with a Bangalore-based NGO, Project Durga, which works on women’s safety and gender equity in public spaces.
3. Neiphiu Rio sworn-in as Nagaland CM
- NDPP’s Neiphiu Rio was sworn-in as Nagaland CM for his fourth term.
- The NDPP is allied with BJP and the two parties secured 29 seats in the Assembly elections.
4. Visited Centre 29 times over special status issue : Andhra CM
- Andhra CM stated that TDP has run out of patience over Centre not giving special status to Andhra Pradesh.
- He announced the TDP ministers’ resignation from the Union Cabinet.
1. 2,500 flights cancelled as winter storm hits northeast US
- The flights were cancelled after the second winter storm in less than a week, named Winter Storm Quinn, struck northeastern US states.
- Major US airlines issued fee waivers in response to Winter Storm Quinn.
2. India, Pak to free each other’s disabled, elderly prisoners
- The countries agreed on a proposal to release each other’s mentally challenged, women and elderly prisoners.
- The proposal was suggested by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj to Pak envoy Sohail Mahmood in Oct 2017.
3. International Women’s Day 2018
- International Women’s Day is a global celebration of the social, cultural, economic and political achievements of women. It is celebrated annually on March 8.
- Women’s Day was first observed on February 28, 1909 in New York. At 1910 International Woman’s Conference, March 8 was suggested to be observed as “International Woman’s Day.”
- International Women’s Day 2018 theme is “Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives”.
4.Indian architect BV Doshi wins ‘Nobel for architecture’
- Balkrishna Doshiis being honoured with the Pritzker Architecture Prize, the Nobel equivalent for the field.
- The Pune-born Doshi, who is 90, is the first Indian to receive the honour, the highest in the profession. He will travel to Toronto in May to receive the Prize
1. Chidambaram opened ‘all doors’ for Gitanjali scam : Law Minister
- Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad alleged ex-FM opened ‘all doors’ for fraud-accused Mehul Choksi-owned Gitanjali gems to import around 2,000 kg of gold without any verification.
- The UPA had introduced 80:20 rule which allowed seven traders to import gold but only after they had exported 20% of gold from their previous import.
2. Jet Airways, IndiGo, SpiceJet fined for unfair biz
- The Competition Commission of India said the airline acted in a concerted manner to fix fuel surcharge on cargo transport.
- Jet Airways was fined Rs.39.81 cr while the penalties on IndiGo and SpiceJet are Rs.9.45 cr and Rs.5.1 cr respectively.
3. RBI imposes penalty on SBI over counterfeit notes
- The RBI has levied a Rs.40 lakh penalty on SBI for violating rules of detection and impounding of counterfeit notes.
- RBI imposed a penalty of Rs.2 cr on IOB after a “fraud was detected” at one of its branches.
4.7th Pay Commission: DA for central government employees hiked to 7 per cent
- The Union Cabinet approved two per cent hike in Dearness Allowance (DA) for central government employees
- This decision will see 1.10 crore central government staff and pensioners receive 7 per cent of their basic pay as DA, instead of 5 per cent
1. Top women cricketers to earn half of lowest paid men players
- Indian women cricketers in Grade A will earn Rs.50 lakh, Grade B will earn Rs.30 lakh and Grade C will earn Rs.10 lakh.
- Male cricketers in Grade C will earn Rs.1 crore each annually.
2. Man City into CL last 8
- Manchester City advanced to the Champions League quarter finals.
- Barcelona will face Chelsea in last 16 second leg.
3.Delhi high jumper Tejaswin Shankar smashes national record
- Delhi youngster Tejaswin Shankar smashed his own national record to claim the high jump gold
- He also booked his Commonwealth Games berth on the third day of the 22nd Federation Cup Senior National Athletics Championships