Daily Current Affairs 8th 9th May 2020: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 8th 9th May 2020. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 8th 9th May 2020. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 8th 9th May 2020 Current affairs test.
1. Vande Bharat Mission
- Under the Vande Bharat Mission, India Government is operating 64 flights till 13th May to bring home nearly 14800 Indian nationals stranded abroad.
- Minister of External Affairs: S Jaishankar
2. Surakshit Dada-Dadi & Nana-Nani Abhiyan
- NITI Aayog has launched ‘Surakshit Dada-Dadi & Nana-Nani Abhiyan’ with Piramal Foundation.
- Aim: To protect senior citizens during COVID-19.
3. First state to provide Mid-Day Meal ration
- Madhya Pradesh has become first state to provide Mid-Day Meal ration.
- Governor of Madhya Pradesh: Lal Ji Tandon.
1. New Prime Minister of Iraq
- Mustafa al-Kadhimi has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of Iraq.
- Iraq : Capital- Baghdad || Currency- Iraqi dinar || President- Barham Salih
1. Emergency Credit Line for MSMEs
- Punjab National Bank has opened Emergency Credit Line for MSMEs to enhance liquidity.
- Punjab National Bank : CEO: SS Mallikarjuna Rao || Headquarters: New Delhi
1. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank’s Loan to India
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank will offer a $500 million loan to India to combat Covid-19.
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank: Headquarters: Beijing || President :JinLiqun
2. India’s Economic Growth by Moody’s
- Moody’s Investors Service has estimated India’s GDP growth to hit zero in FY21.
- Moody’s Investors Service: Headquarters: New York || CEO: Raymond W. McDaniel Jr.
3. Brand Ambassador for ELSA Corp
- Cricketer Ajinkya Rahane has become the brand ambassador for edtech company ELSA Corp.
Science and Technology News
1. AyushKavach-COVID App
- Uttar Pradesh Government has launched ‘AyushKavach-COVID’ App.
- Aim: To help people get health remedies in the state.
2. ‘AYUSH Sanjivani’ App
- Health & Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has launched ‘AYUSH Sanjivani’ App.
- It was developed by Ministry of Ayush and Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
1. Director General of Labour Bureau
- DPS Negi has been appointed as the Director General of Labour Bureau in the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- He will be replacing BN Nandha.
- The Ministry of Labour & Employment is one of the oldest and most important Ministries of the Government of India. Officeholder: Santosh Gangwar (MOS independent charge)
2. Chairperson of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC)
- Congress leader in Lok Sabha Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury has been reappointed as chairperson of the Chairperson of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC).
- The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) is a committee of selected members of parliament, constituted by the Parliament of India, for the purpose of auditing the revenue and the expenditure of the Government of India.
- They check that parliament exercises over the executive stems from the basic principle that parliament embodies the will of the people. This committee along with the Estimates committee (EC) and Committee on Public Undertakings (COPU) are the three financial standing committees of the Parliament of India.
3. UNEP Goodwill Ambassador of India
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has re-appointed Actress Dia Mirza as its National Goodwill Ambassador for another two years.
- Dia Mirza is also a United Nations Sustainability Development Goals Advocate.
- United Nations Environment Programme: Headquarters– Nairobi, Kenya || Executive Director– Inger Andersen
1. World Thalassaemia Day
- The International Thalassaemia Day, celebrated annually on the 8th of May.
- Theme: ‘The dawning of a new era for thalassaemia’.
- Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder characterised by less oxygen-carrying protein (haemoglobin) and fewer red blood cells in the body than normal.
2. World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- World Red Cross Day and Red Crescent Day is observed every year on 8 May.
- Aim: To commemorate the birth anniversary of the founder of the Red Cross Henry Dunant.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross is a humanitarian institution based in Geneva, Switzerland, and a three-time Nobel Prize Laureate.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland || President: Peter Maurer || Founder: Henry Dunant || Founded: 17 February 1863, Geneva, Switzerland || Director-General: Yves Daccord || Purpose: Protecting victims of conflicts
1. Rob Gibbs passes away
- Veteran director and story artist Rob Gibbs has passed away.
- Rob Gibbs is a story artist for Pixar. He is also the father of actress Mary Gibbs, who voiced Boo in Monsters, Inc.. He directed the Cars Toons: Mater’s Tall Tales episodes Moon Mater and Air Mater. He was also one of the writers of Air Mater.
- He was well Known for Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo, Monsters.Up, Wall-E, Inside Out to Onward.
Agreements and MoUs
1. IIT Kanpur with Bharat Dynamics
- IIT- Kanpur has joined hands with Bharat Dynamics for development of affordable ventilators for Covid-19 treatment.
- Bharat Dynamics Limited is one of India’s manufacturers of ammunitions and missile systems. It was founded in 1970 in Hyderabad, Telangana. BDL was established in the year 1970 to be a manufacturing base for guided weapon systems.
- Chairman & Managing Director – Siddharth Mishra
2. PNB Housing Finance with IIT Delhi
- PNB Housing Finance has partnered with IIT Delhi for reusable Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Award, Rankings and Indexes
1. Young Career Award 2020
- Professor Saurabh Lodha from Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay, has received the Young Career Award 2020 in Nano Science and Technology.
- Young Career Award was instituted by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India.
- Department of Science and Technology: Secretary– Ashutosh Sharma || Headquarters– New Delhi
2. Digital in India Report
- ‘Digital in India’ report has been published by the Internet & Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
- Top States with the highest Internet penetration
- 1. Delhi
- 2. Kerala
- Highest number of Internet users
- 1. Mumbai
- 2. Delhi
- IAMAI: Headquarters– Mumbai || Chairman– Amit Agarwal || President– Subho Ray