Daily Current Affairs 8th February 2024: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 8th February2024. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 8th February2024. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 8th February2024 Current affairs test.
Comprehensive National Updates
1. Golden Visa Awarded to Anand Kumar by UAE:
- The United Arab Emirates has extended its prestigious Golden Visa to Anand Kumar, renowned for founding Super 30, in acknowledgment of his exceptional contributions to the field of education, demonstrating the global recognition of his efforts to empower underprivileged students.
2. Nima Sarikhani’s ‘Ice Bed’ Earns Acclaim:
- Capturing a poignant moment of a polar bear on an iceberg, Nima Sarikhani’s photograph, titled ‘Ice Bed,’ has been honored with the Wildlife Photographer of the Year People’s Choice Award. This accolade not only celebrates Sarikhani’s artistic talent but also serves as a compelling call to action for wildlife conservation and environmental protection efforts worldwide.
3. Overseas Citizens Assistance Desk Launched by Telangana:
- In a significant move towards supporting its citizens abroad, the Telangana government, led by Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy, has established a dedicated help desk. This initiative aims to provide a comprehensive support system for Telangana’s diaspora, including students and professionals, ensuring they have access to guidance and assistance, reflecting the government’s commitment to the welfare of its citizens on a global scale.
4. Historic Adoption of Uniform Civil Code by Uttarakhand:
- Uttarakhand has set a landmark precedent by becoming the first Indian state to implement the Uniform Civil Code (UCC), a testament to its legislative ambition to unify personal laws across different religions. This historic development, spearheaded by a committee under Justice Ranjana P Desai, signifies a monumental step towards equality and uniformity in legal matters concerning marriage, divorce, inheritance, and more.
Defense Sector News
5. Enhanced Defense and Strategic Partnership between India and Saudi Arabia:
- In a pivotal development, India and Saudi Arabia have engaged in strategic dialogues aimed at fortifying their defense relations. These discussions have focused on expanding military cooperation through joint exercises and exploring avenues for technology transfer, underscoring a mutual commitment to bolster defense capabilities, support local manufacturing, and foster innovation in the defense sector.
Economic Sector Highlights
6. Passage of Finance Bill 2024 by Lok Sabha:
- The Lok Sabha’s approval of the Finance Bill for the fiscal year 2024-25 marks a critical phase in India’s budgetary process, allocating Rs 47.66 lakh crore for the Union Government’s expenditures. This interim budget, maintaining the status quo on tax regulations, sets the stage for a comprehensive budget presentation post the upcoming general elections, reflecting the government’s strategic financial planning and fiscal policy direction.
Banking and Financial Sector Innovations
7. RBI’s Approval of Payment Aggregator Licenses:
- The Reserve Bank of India has given its nod to fintech firms Juspay, Decentro, and Zoho, allowing them to function as payment aggregators. This decision elevates these companies to the forefront of the payment aggregator space, highlighting the RBI’s stringent criteria for operational excellence and its role in shaping the financial technology landscape.
Corporate and Business News
8. Tata Group’s Market Capitalization Milestone:
- The Tata Group’s achievement in surpassing a combined market capitalization of ₹30 lakh crore underscores its dominant position in the Indian corporate sector. This milestone, driven by the stellar performance of subsidiaries such as TCS, Tata Motors, Tata Power, and Indian Hotels, reflects the conglomerate’s robust business strategy and its significant impact on India’s economic landscape.
Observances and Awareness Campaigns
9. National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day 2024 Commemoration:
- The observance of National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day on February 7th, themed “Engage, Educate, Empower: Uniting to End HIV/AIDS in Black Communities,” shines a spotlight on the disproportionate impact of HIV/AIDS on Black Americans. It serves as a crucial platform for advocating for comprehensive action to address systemic inequalities and promote health equity.
Social and Educational Initiatives
10. Delhi Announces Free Bus Travel for Transgender Community:
- In a landmark move aimed at enhancing inclusivity and accessibility, the Delhi government, under Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, has announced the provision of free bus travel for the transgender community. This initiative,set to be implemented following Cabinet approval, represents a significant step towards recognizing and addressing the transportation needs of transgender individuals, ensuring they can avail themselves of public transport services without financial barriers.
11. Inauguration of EdCIL Vidyanjali Scholarship Programme:
- With the launch of the EdCIL Vidyanjali Scholarship Programme by Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, economically disadvantaged students, especially those from Navodaya Vidyalayas admitted to premier engineering and technology colleges, will receive crucial financial support. This program, aligned with the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, underscores the government’s commitment to ensuring equitable access to quality education.
12. ‘Kilkari’ and ‘Mobile Academy’ Programs Roll Out in Maharashtra and Gujarat:
- The introduction of ‘Kilkari’ and ‘Mobile Academy’ in Maharashtra and Gujarat by Union Ministers of State for Health and Family Welfare signifies a strategic push towards enhancing maternal and child health, and equipping community health workers with vital knowledge and skills. These initiatives leverage technology to deliver health education and training, exemplifying innovative approaches to public health challenges.
Global Rankings and Reports
13. Insights from the TomTom Traffic Index 2023:
- The latest TomTom Traffic Index report positions London and Bengaluru at the forefront of urban congestion challenges, urging cities globally, including Delhi and Mumbai, to adopt innovative solutions for improving urban mobility and quality of life for their residents.
14. India’s Leap in World Bank’s Logistics Performance Index:
- India’s advancement to the 38th position in the World Bank’s Logistics Performance Index 2023 is a testament to the significant strides made in enhancing logistics infrastructure and operational efficiency, highlighting the nation’s evolving logistics landscape and its impact on economic growth.
15. India’s Central Role in Global Oil Demand Dynamics:
- The International Energy Agency’s projection of India as a primary driver of global oil demand by 2030 highlights the country’s growing energy needs and the influence of factors such as electric vehicle adoption and energy efficiency measures on future demand patterns.
16. Advocacy for LNG as a Transportation Fuel:
- A collaborative report by NITI Aayog and the Netherlands Embassy advocates for the adoption of LNG as a fuel for medium and heavy commercial vehicles in India, presenting a strategic framework for addressing challenges and capitalizing on the environmental and economic benefits of LNG in the transportation sector.
Investment and Economic Cooperation
17. Major ADIA Investment via GIFT City:
- The Abu Dhabi Investment Authority’s commitment to investing $45 billion in India through the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City marks a significant foreign investment milestone, reflecting confidence in India’s financial services sector and the potential of GIFT City as a global financial hub.
Leadership and Governance
18. Leadership Transition at Tata Digital:
- The appointment of Naveen Tahilyani as the CEO and MD of Tata Digital represents a strategic move by the Tata Group to strengthen its ecommerce and digital initiatives, with Tahilyani poised to drive innovation and growth in the digital domain starting February 19.
19. Kazakhstan Appoints New Prime Minister:
- The appointment of Olzhas Bektenov as Kazakhstan’s prime minister by President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev signals a continuation of the nation’s governance and anti-corruption strategies, highlighting Bektenov’s role in steering the country’s future direction.
Sports and Cultural Contributions
20. Renaming of Saurashtra Cricket Stadium to Honor Niranjan Shah:
- The decision to rename the Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium in recognition of Niranjan Shah’s enduring contributions as a player and administrator celebrates his legacy in the realm of cricket, acknowledging his significant impact on the sport.
21. Wei Yi’s Victory at Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2024:
- Grand Master Wei Yi’s triumph at the 2024 Tata Steel Chess Tournament underscores his exceptional talent and strategic mastery, marking a notable achievement in the competitive chess circuit.
22. Tribute to Farooq Nazki, Eminent Poet:
- The passing of Farooq Nazki, a revered poet and laureate of the Sahitya Akademi Award, at the age of 83, leaves a profoundvoid in the literary and cultural fabric of the nation, commemorating his rich legacy of poetic expression and cultural contributions.
23. Remembering Sebastian Pinera, Former President of Chile:
- The tragic demise of Sebastian Pinera in a helicopter crash evokes a deep sense of loss, reflecting on his substantial contributions to Chilean society and governance, and his role in shaping the nation’s democratic journey.
24. Recognition of Anand Kumar with the UAE Golden Visa:
- Reiterating the international acknowledgment of Anand Kumar’s educational endeavors, the UAE Golden Visa award spotlights his commitment to leveraging education as a means of empowerment, reinforcing the global appreciation of his work with Super 30.
25. ‘Ice Bed’ Secures People’s Choice in Wildlife Photography Again:
- The distinction awarded to Nima Sarikhani’s ‘Ice Bed’ at the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition not only celebrates artistic excellence but also reinforces the critical message of conservation and the need to protect our planet’s wildlife, emphasizing the photograph’s role in raising awareness and inspiring action.