Daily Current Affairs 9 July 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 9 July 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 9 July 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 9 July 2018 Current affairs test.
1. India Smart Cities Fellowship (ISCF) and Internship (ISCI) Program
- Hardeep S Puri, MoS(I/C), Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has stated that Smart cities fellowship and internship program will provide the youth an opportunity to experience the aspects of Urban planning and governance.
- This will bring in new ideas, passion and energy to the challenging but exciting work of implementing cutting edge, high-impact solutions to key urban problems. This program will cultivate young leaders, strengthen their understanding of Indian urban sector and prepare them for greater leadership roles in future.
2. The Smart Cities Digital Payments Awards 2018
- The Smart Cities Digital Payments Awards (SCDPA) 2018 ‘100 days Challenge in 100 Smart Cities’ is part of the initiatives of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs MoHUA to promote ease of living for India’s urban residents.
- The objective of these awards is to guide, motivate, recognize and reward the Smart Cities for promoting digital payments and carrying out innovative payment initiatives in their respective cities.
3. 17th World Sanskrit Conference
- Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the 17th World Sanskrit Conference held at Vancouver, Canada, from July 9-13, 2018.
- The World Sanskrit Conference is being held in various countries across the globe once in every three years and so far it has been held thrice in India.
4. Samsung opens world’s biggest smartphone factory in India
- The official opening of the biggest smartphone factory in the world is with the visit of South Korean President Moon Jae-in, based in Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- The plant spans 35 acres and aims to increase overall production of devices in India by 50%.
1. India to have annual Delhi dialogue with ASEAN leaders
- India will have a Delhi Dialogue with ASEAN leaders on 19th and 20th July 2018. The dialogue is an important platform for engagement with ASEAN on political, security and economic issues.
- This will be the 10th round of Delhi Dialogue which has been held annually since 2009.
2. South Korean President Moon Jae-in visits India
- Moon Jae-in and Narendra Modi to hold a discussion on key issues such as the situation on the Korean peninsula, and ways to boost trade and defence cooperation.
- The discussion would also include India’s expectation to open new avenues for expanding the bilateral partnership, particularly in the economic domain.
3. Golden Man Booker International prize 2018
- ‘The English patient’ by Michael Ondaatje won the Golden Man Booker International prize 2018
- The prize was instituted as part of celebrations to mark the Booker’s having completed 50 years.
1. World’s 3 richest persons are now technology billionaires
- Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg, are technology billionaires leading their companies Amazon, Microsoft and Facebook respectively.
- Zuckerberg overtook Berkshire Hathaway’s Warren Buffett to become the world’s third-richest person.
2. Muthoot Pappachan Group appointed Vidya Balan as a brand ambassador
- The Muthoot Pappachan Group has appointed Vidya Balan as brand ambassador for two years
- Pappachan Group is into two-wheeler finance, micro-finance, affordable housing finance, health, life and general insurance, precious metals, automotive, realty, hospitality and IT businesses.
3. Internet telephony service ‘Wings’
- BSNL will roll out its new internet telephony service with brand name “Wings” from August 1.
- It is a one-time registration fee of Rs 1,099, will be able to make calls using any internet connection including broadband, WiFi, 3G or 4G data network of any operator, thus overcoming connectivity problems even in areas having patchy signals.
4. GST Verify
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has launched a mobile app ‘GST Verify’.
- It is to verify if the person collecting GST from the consumer is eligible to collect it or not.
1. Sports Minister Grants Financial Assistance of Rs. Five Lakh to Archer Gohela Boro
- Rajyavardhan Rathore has sanctioned financial assistance of Rs. 5 Lakh (Five Lakh) to National Level Archer Ms. Gohela Boro for her medical treatment.
- The financial assistance has been given from Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons (PDUNWFS).
2. Dipa Karmakar clinches gold medal
- Dipa Karmakar clinched the gold medal at the FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Challenge Cup in Mersin, Turkey.
- Dipa has created a history and she is now the first Indian gymnast to win a gold in a world level event.
3. Jhilli Dalabehera has won the bronze medal
- Indian weightlifter Jhilli Dalabehera has won the bronze medal in the 2018 IWF Junior World Weightlifting Championships at Tashkent.
- She finished third on the podium.