Daily Current Affairs 9 May 2019: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 9 May 2019. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 9 May 2019. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 9 May 2019 Current affairs test.
1. ‘Order of St. George’ Award
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar was conferred with ‘Order of St. George’ award by Kerala church.
- Ravi Shankar is an Indian spiritual leader. He founded the Art of Living Foundation in 1981, a volunteer-based NGO providing social support to the people.
2. ‘Chintan Baithak’
- Ministry of New & Renewable Energy held a ‘Chintan Baithak’ with stakeholders of the Renewable Energy sector in New Delhi.
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy or MNRE is a ministry of the Government of India.
- The ministry is currently headed by R. K. Singh, a Minister of State-In Charge.
- The ministry was established as the Ministry of Non-Conventional Energy Sources in 1992. It adopted its current name in October 2006.
3. NR Madhava Menon passes away
- NR Madhava Menon was an Indian lawyer and legal educator, considered by many as the father of modern legal education in India.
- He was the Founder Director of the National Law School of India University (NLSIU) and the National Judicial Academy, Bhopal.
4. 15th Finance Commission
- The 15th Finance Commission had a detailed meeting with the Governor and Deputy Governors of RBI in Mumbai.
- Setting up State Finance Commissions for State Governments.
- Continuity of the Finance Commission.
- Public Sector Borrowing Requirements.
- The Fifteenth Finance Commission of India is an Indian Finance Commission constituted in November 2017.
- It is to give recommendations for devolution of taxes and other fiscal matters for five fiscal years, commencing 1 April 2020.
- Parent department: Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India
- Commission executives: NK Singh, IAS, Chairman
1. New President of the Republic of Panama
- Laurentino Cortizo was elected as the President of the Republic of Panama.
- Panama is a country on the isthmus linking Central and South America.
- Panama Capital: Panama City || Currency: Balboa
2. World Red Cross Day 2019
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day is an annual celebration of the principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- World Red Cross Red Crescent Day is celebrated on 8 May each year.
- This date is the anniversary of the birth of Henry Dunant, who was born on 8 May 1828.
- Theme World Red Cross Day 2019 : ‘#Love’.
- The day is also the birth anniversary of International Committee of the Red Cross’ founder Henry Dunant.
3. Most followed Politician Globally
- 1. Former US President Barack Obama (182 million followers on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter).
- 2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi (110 million followers on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter).
- 3. US President Donald Trump (96 million followers on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter).
- This report is compiled by online visibility management and content marketing SaaS platform SEMrush.
4. World Thalassemia Day
- World Thalassemia Day is celebrated every year on 8 May.
- Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder characterised by less oxygen-carrying protein (haemoglobin) and fewer red blood cells in the body than normal.
- Theme :- ‘Universal access to quality thalassaemia healthcare services: Building bridges with and for patient’.
1. Microsoft’s ‘Election Guard’
- Microsoft has unveiled a free open-source software development kit ‘ElectionGuard’.
- It can be incorporated into voting systems, aimed at making voting more secure.
2. International Narcotics Control Board
- Jagjit Pavadia of India was re-elected to International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) for another term.
- She has been a member of INCB since 2015 and her current term is set to expire in 2020.
- The International Narcotics Control Board is the independent and quasi-judicial control organ for the implementation of the United Nations drug conventions. It plays an important role in monitoring enforcement of restrictions on narcotics and psychotropic and in deciding which precursors should be regulated.
3. Tata Global Beverages with Shikha Sharma
- Tata Global Beverages has appointed Shikha Sharma as an Independent Director on its board.
- Shikha Sharma was the managing director and CEO of Axis Bank, the third largest private sector bank in India, from 2009 to 2018.
- Tata Global Beverages Limited is an Indian multinational non-alcoholic beverages company headquartered in Kolkata, West Bengal, India and a subsidiary of the Tata Group. It is the world’s second-largest manufacturer and distributor of tea and a major producer of coffee.
- Headquarters: Kolkata || CEO: Ajoy Kumar Misra || Parent organization: Tata Group || Subsidiaries: Tata Starbucks, Tata Coffee, Tetley, Good Earth Tea
4. Bharti Airtel with Hughes Communications India
- Bharti Airtel and Hughes Communications India will combine their VSAT operations in India.
- The aim is to leverage the demand for secure connectivity in a rapidly growing digital economy
- HCIL is the largest satellite service operator in India providing a comprehensive range of broadband networking technologies, solutions, and services for businesses and governments, including Managed Services to meet every communications challenge.
- HCIL is a majority owned subsidiary of Hughes Network Systems, LLC. (Hughes) headquartered in Germantown, Maryland, USA
1. FA Cup
- The 2018–19 FA Cup is the 138th edition of the oldest football tournament in the world.
- It is sponsored by Emirates and known as The Emirates FA Cup for sponsorship purposes.
- The match will be contested by Manchester City and Watford.
- The FA Cup, also known officially as The Football Association Challenge Cup, is an annual knockout football competition in men’s domestic English football. First played during the 1871–72 season, it is the oldest national football competition in the world.
2. Amul to sponsor Afghanistan Cricket Team
- Amul will be the principal sponsor of Afghanistan cricket team for 2019 World Cup.
- The 2019 Cricket World Cup is the 12th edition of the Cricket World Cup, scheduled to be hosted by England and Wales, from 30 May to 14 July 2019.
3. Derek Sippy passes away
- Former Billiards player, Coach and Administrator Derek Sippy passed away.
- He was the Indian team’s coach at recently concluded Asian Under-21 Boys Snooker and Asian Women Snooker tournament.
- Cue sports, also known as billiard sports, are a wide variety of games of skill generally played with a cue stick, which is used to strike billiard balls and thereby cause them to move around a cloth-covered billiards table bounded by elastic bumpers known as cushions. Historically, the umbrella term was billiards.