A simple word with a simple explanation: Efface means to wipe out or erase. Either you can erase a notebook of pencil marks or you can erase one’s memory of the events of the past. The choice is essentially yours.
The dictionary definitions for efface are as follows:
1. To rub or wipe out; erase. (verb)
2. To make indistinct as if by rubbing. (verb)
3. To conduct (oneself) inconspicuously. (verb)
Masters Tip to remember Efface:
The image of an eraser should suffice:
Quote Examples for Efface:
- Memory is the greatest of artists, and effaces from your mind what is unnecessary.
- Work alone will efface the footsteps of work.