Definition & Meaning: End(o)- Root Word
End(o) root word originates from Greek, endon, meaning internal.
For instance, An endo-scope is an instrument which can be introduced into the body to give a view of its internal parts; an endoskeleton is an internal skeleton, such as that of vertebrates; the endocardium is the thin, smooth membrane which lines the inside of the chambers of the heart; the endometrium is the mucous membrane lining the womb; endarterectomy is surgical removal of part of the inner lining of an artery.
Words Based on the End(o)- Root Word
Following is a list of words based on the End(o)- Root Word:
1. Endoectothrix: A fungus that produces spores both on the interior and exterior of the hairs.
2. Endogamy: The custom of marrying only within the limits of a clan or a tribe.
3. Endogean: Living within or near the surface of the ground.
4. Endomorphy: Round, fat, and heavy.
5. Endoophage: A reference to insect larvae that hatch from eggs deposited within host eggs and feed upon the contents of those eggs.
6. Endoparasite: Any parasite which lives in the internal organs of an animal
7. Endopelvic: Within the pelvis.
8. Endophage: Feeding from within the food source.
9. Endophasia: Internalized, inaudible speech.
10. Endosmosis: Osmosis in which fluid is absorbed into a cell from a surrounding fluid.
11. Endocrinologist: A physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions affecting the endocrine system.
12. Endocrinology: The branch of End(o)ology dealing with the endocrine glands and their secretion
13. EndoEnd(o)otic: Living as a parasite within the host.
14. Endocervicitis: Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the cervix uteri
15. Endotitis: Inflammation of the inner ear.
16. Endotherm: A creature that can keep its inside temperature fairly constant.
With this the lesson on root word End(o) comes to an end. Hope you enjoyed learning new words. Keep learning, keep improving!