Definition & Meaning: Ethno Root Word
The Greek word, Ethno essentially means a nation, people or culture.
Ethno-logy is the study of the characteristics of different peoples and the differences and relationships between them; ethnicity is the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition; ethno-centric refers to evaluating other peoples and cultures according to one’s own assumptions or preconceptions; the adjective ethnic relates to a population group with a common national or cultural tradition.
Words Based on the Ethno Root Word
Following is a list of root words based on the “Ethno” Root word:
1. Ethnagogue: Someone who leads a nation or a leader of a nation.
2. Ethnarch: A governor of a nation or people; a ruler over a province
3. Ethnarchy: The dignity or office of an ethnarch.
4. Ethnic: A reference to a social group who share cultural bonds (religious, national, etc.) or physical (racial) characteristics.
5. Ethnicism: Belonging to an ethnic group.
6. Ethnicon: The name of a cultural group.
7. Ethnics: The plural form of ethnic which is considered to be distinctive of the ways of living that have been built up by different groups of people.
8. Ethno: A derogatory term for “migrant” or a descendant of a migrant to Australia
9. Ethnoarchaeology: The branch of anthropology that studies prehistoric people and their cultures.
10. Ethnobiological: An adjective modifying studies related to ethnobiology.
11. Ethnobiologist: Someone who is a specialist in the study of ethnobiology or the study of ethnic groups as they are affected by the biological factors in their environment
12. Ethnobiology: The biological study of human races.
13. Ethnobiomedicine: The use of herbs (medicinal plants) by other cultures to fight various physical ailments; such as, yellow fever, malaria, heart disease, snake bites, mental illness, high-blood pressure, etc.
14. Ethnobotanic: A reference to ethnobotany..
15. Ethnobotanist: An ethnologist who studies relationships between people from various cultures and their plant life.
16. Ethnocentric: The viewpoint that one’s own group is the center of everything.
17. Ethnocracy: Government by an ethnic group or race.
With this, we come to an end of this lesson on Root word Ethno. Hope your learning has been immense. Keep revising, keep learning with wordpandit. Here’s wishing you an enriching vocabulary.