Definition & Meaning: exo Root Word
What does exo Root Word mean?
The word root exo has been derived from the Greek word which refers outside and there are great majority of words here are in modern technical and scientific usage; exceptions are exotic, which derives via Latin from Greek exōtikos, foreign, and exogamy (Greek gamos, marriage), the custom of marrying outside a community, clan, or tribe. Some examples of technical terms are exo-skeleton, a rigid external covering for the body in some invertebrate animals; exothermic, of a chemical reaction or process that is accompanied by the release of heat;exogenous, developing from external factors; exobiology, the branch of science that deals with the possibility and likely nature of life on other planets or in space.
To have a better understanding let’s have a look at the word exogamy which can be broken down into:
Exo: Meaning acetyl group in chemicals.
Gamy: Meaning a type of bacteria.
Exogamy: Marriage outside community.
The society should now leave unorthodoxy and consider exogamy as an option for human betterment.
Words Based on the Exo- Root Word
Following is a list of words based on the Exo- root word:
1. Exobiology: Branch of biology that deals with the search for extraterrestrial life and the effects of extraterrestrial surroundings on living organisms.
2. Exocarp: The outer layer of the pericarp of a fruit.
3. Exocrine: Exocrine glands are glands that produce and secrete substances onto an epithelial surface by way of a duct.
4. Exocyclic: Situated outside of a ring in a chemical structure.
5. Exocytoses: To extrude by means of exocytosis
6. Exocytosis: A process by which the contents of a cell vacuole are released to the exterior through fusion of the vacuole membrane with the cell membrane.
7. Exoderm: Is a deep peel. Deep peels can be very effective on lines and contrast irregularities
8. Exodontist: A dentist who specializes in the extraction of teeth.
9. Exodos: The final scene or departure, especially in tragedy and usually Old Comedy: usually following the last stasimon.
10. Exoenzyme: An enzyme which acts outside the cell that produces it.
11. Exoergic: Releasing energy
12. Exoerythrocytic: The developmental stage of the malaria parasite in liver parenchyma cells of the vertebrate host before the red blood cells become infected.
13. Exogamy: The custom of marrying outside a community, clan, or tribe.
14. Exogen: Uses safe, painless low-intensity ultrasound waves to stimulate the body’s natural repair process
15. Exon: A segment of a DNA or RNA molecule containing information coding for a protein or peptide sequence.
16. Exonerate: Absolve (someone) from blame for a fault or wrongdoing.
We hope this article on the commonly used Exo Root Word and it has been helpful to you in remembering the words based on the Root Word Exo and enhance your vocabulary.
We can see how much easier it becomes to memorize any word if we can link it with something that we can never forget. That is the power of word root that can help us to break down complex words and easily fathom their meaning.