National Political News:
1. Chennai is bettered by torrential rains. It received 345 mm of rainfall in 24 hours which is more than double of its entire average rainfall during the month of December previously. Chennai roads turns into rivulets as Army pressed into relief and rescue operations. Food is being air dropped in its worst affected areas.
Private weather for caster Skymet blames ELNINO conditions during the past year for it, when pacific sea was abnormally warm.
Prime Minister Modi announces a Rs. 1000 crore grant for the Chennai flood relief victims.
2. 13 Sashatra Seema Bal (SSB) men detained by Nepal’s armed police force after they had crossed over by 100 metres to Nepal in hot pursuit of petroleum smugglers. The Indo-Nepal unmarked border is guarded by SSB on the Indian side. India Nepal ties are already under stress because of the Madhesis issue.
3. The senior most Judge of the Supreme Court Justice T.S.Thakur belonging to J&K has taken over as the next Chief Justice of India. His appointment has been hailed as a matter of pride for J&K by its Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed.
4. Delhi police uncovers a Fidayeen attack targeting high profile persons in Delhi and other parts of the country. 2 Lashkar –e-Toiba terrorists arrested by it.
International Political News:
1. World climate meet to check deterioration in world climate gets underway in Paris, France. 150 heads of states/ Governments attend the meet. The main item of the agenda is greenhouse gas emissions and keeping the global temperature rise less than 2°C and production of green energy. The green energy production is zero carbon dioxide emission technology and costs a lot more than coal based energy .Example for this is the solar cell and wind turbine energy.
2. British Parliament gives approval to Prime Minister David Cameron for air strikes against ISIS in Syria. British bombers take off from RAF base in Cyprus and bomb ISIS targets in Syria.
3. Pakistan hangs 4 Taliban militants involved in the Peshawar school attack last year on December 16 killing 150, mostly children.
4. A Pakistani origin couple opens indiscriminate firing in a San Francisco pre Christmas party killing 40 and injuring 17 others. The couple was ISIS indoctrinated.
1. Data released by Government of India indicates rise in India’s GDP to 7.4% in the July September quarter. It has over taken China’s GDP growth for the same period to become the fastest growing economy in the World.
2. Lyondellbasell, US based giant in the field of Plastics, Chemical and refining is acquiring Pune based Zylog Plastalloys. It has already taken over other plastic manufacturing units in Sinnar, Maharashtra and Chennai. The plastic/ PP manufactured in these units is used as auto parts.
3. 72% of the India’s companies face cyber attack which include banking, finance, manufacturing, oil and gas, infra and telecom besides government agencies. The attacks over the years have becomes more aggressive and sophisticated and have moved ahead from banking credit cards.
4. Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook pledges $45 billion of its shares held by him to his foundation engaged in pursuit of human advancement. The birth of his daughter Maxima has spurred him towards this goal.
5. A government panel headed by Chief Economic adviser Arvind Subramanian has opined that GST rate be caped at 17–18% and has also dropped the 1% levy on interstate sales. This is in consonance with the demands of the Congress party.
A sin element GST rate of 40% has been recommended for luxury cars, aerated beverages, pan masala, tobacco and tobacco products.
Science and Technology:
1. University of California biologists have created a novel breed of mosquitoes that will help eradicate malaria. Mosquitoes have been genetically modified so as to mutate the malaria carrying genes of the parasite mosquitoes with which they shall mate. In one season ,10 generations of parasite mosquitoes are likely to be wiped out by use of this technology .
2. Studies in Washington, America indicate that Mars largest moon Phobos is gradually falling towards the planet. It shall be shredded into pieces as it is insufficient to resist the tidal forces that will pull it apart as it gets closer and strewn around the red planet like a ring encircling the planet Saturn and Jupiter. The event may take 20-40 million years to occur and the ring may last 1 million to 100 million years.
On the other hand, the earth’s moon is moving away from earth at the rate of a few cms per year.
1. Australia clinch a 3 wicket win over New Zealand in the first day/night test match played at Adelaide with the Pink ball. New Zealand made 202 and 208 runs in both the innings. Australia replied with 224 runs in the first innings and 187 for 7 wickets in the second innings.
2. Indian Shuttler PV Sindhu has won the grand prix gold tournament of badminton in Macau, a former Portugese colony. She beat Japans Minatsu Mitani 21–9, 21–23 and 21–14.
3. Tyson Fury becomes the first Briton to hold a heavyweight boxing crown since 2011. He beat Wladimir Klitschko of Ukraine the current heavyweight champion at Dusseldorf in Germany.
4. In Hockey world league matches being played at Raipur, Chhattisgarh. India lose to Belgium 1–0 in the semifinals.
5. England win the T-20 series played against Pakistan in Sharjah. England have lost the test series to Pakistan 2–0 and have won the one dayers 3–1 at the same venue.
6. Oscar Pistorious known widely as the blade runner has been has been found guilty of murder by South African appeals court of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The incident took place in 2013 and he had been charged with manslaughter.