The Weekly Update consisting of Important News, Events, Facts and Achievements. Browse Regularly for Strengthening your General Knowledge, and staying abreast with what is happening around you.
National Political News:
1. Explosive laden Pakistani vessel loaded with explosives and other contraband blown up off Gujarat cost in wee hours of Jan 1st , 365 km South West from Porbander. Movement of the vessel was tracked by Indian intelligence and Indian costguard ship Rajrattan, intercepted it between
1: 00 am and 3: 30 am. Indian agencies claim that 26/11 type terror attack had been foiled.
2. Saradha Scam in W. Bengal continues to rock the state TMC Govt. as a TMC minister Madan Mitra was denied bail by a Calcutta Court. TMC MP Kunal Ghosh is already in judicial custody along with
Saradha proprietor Sudipta Sen& Debjani Mukherjee.
3. Deadlock continuous over Govt. formation in J & K. Largest single party PDP has 28 MLA’s followed by BJP’s 25 MLA’s, National Conference with 15 MLA’s and Indian National Congress with 12 MLA’s in recently concluded state assembly elections in J & K. Mufti Mohd. Sayeed PDP leader is under pressure from Hurriyat and other separatist Kashmiri leaders against a tie up with BJP. Lack of negotiations going forward, BJP is exploring to form an alliance with NC.
International Political News:
1. New Year Eve stampede in Shanghai, 36 killed, 47 injured while trying to watch a live display on new year eve count down and in the process off collecting fake dollar bills thrown by miscreants.
2. Air Asia Air bus A 320-200 flight QZ 8501 which plunged into sea last Sunday on a flight from Indonesia’s Jawa to Singapore, 30 Bodies of passengers have been retrieved from sea. Multinational search operation are in progress. Four large parts of the aircraft have been found on the sea floor.
3. Google Gmail services are suffering a blockade in China. Google’s presence in China is not to the liking of the powers to be. China maintains a tight control over internet, to nip in the bud any dissent to the Govt. or the Chinese Communist Party. The censor mechanism is known as Great firewall of China.
1. LPG subsidy to be credited in consumer bank accounts from Jan 1, 2015 under the Direct Benefit Transfer of LPG (DBTL) scheme, in 622 districts to be covered nationwide.
2. HSBC India Purchase Managers Index (PMI) registered 54.5 in December, up from 53.3 in theprevious month. This Index gives an indication of the prevalent manufacturing and business conditions.
3. Venture funds funded E-Commerce companies like Flipcart and Snapdealetc, in the year 2014. It is expected that 2015, may be the turn of small firms developing software products – photoshoot animation, drone delivery, fashion products discovery sites and sentiment analysis etc.
Science and Technology:
1. A set of six telescopes called Spider will circle Antarctica in their operation to observe the faint radio microwaves that are there in space. Such waves are remnants of the Big Bang, 13.8 billion years ago, to understand the origin of the universe and its continuing expansion till now.
1. Virat Kohli to captain India in the Sydney Test after MSD quits the test format on 30th Dec. 2014. Speculation is rife about reasons for his quitting the test captaincy.