National Political News:
1. Vyapam scam of Madhya Pradesh is back in the national limelight. It has become a politically sensitive case with number of deaths rising to 46, of the persons associated with it as witnesses, beneficiaries ormiddlemen. The latest to die are Dr. Arun Sharma, dean of a Medical college in Jabalpur who was involved in investigations of the scam. He was found dead in a Delhi hotel room in suspicious circumstances, 24 hours after the mysterious death of a TV journalist reporting on the scam. Another trainee women SI, selected thru MP professional examination board found dead in a lake near state police training academy at Sagar in Madhya Pradesh.
The Congress and the AAP are clamouring for the resignation of Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chavan on the Vyapam issue.
The Madhya Pradesh Government has agreed to a CBI probe in the scam after wide spread national mediacoverage.
The Supreme Court has asked the CBI to investigate the Vyapam scam. The Supreme Court also put the Governor of Madhya Pradesh Ram Naresh Yadav on notice seeking his response to a plea for reviving an FIR against him in a Vyapam related case.
2. PM Modi on first visit to 5 Central Asian republics.
(i) In Tashkent capital of Uzbekistan,he likely held talks with President Islam Karimov on regional issues viz the situation in Afghanistan and other related issues of terrorism etc.
(ii) The reported discussion in hydrocarbon rich Kazakhstan’s Capital Astana, where 5 agreementswere signed with President Nursultan Nazarbayev revolved about oil, gas and uranium supplies to India.
(iii) On his visit to Ashgabat, capital of Turkmenistan he was the host of President Gurbenguly
Berdy Mukhammedov. It is reported that the Indo-Iranian gas pipe line project was discussed.
(iv) PM Modi also visited the fledgling democracy Kyrgyzstan and another central Asian republicTajikistan.
3. Supreme Court deputes former CBI special director M. L. Sharma to probe his former boss CBI director Ranjit Sinha for the complaints regarding his influencing the 2G Telecom and the Coal scam probes.
4. Monsoon surge all over India expands Kharif crop area. Key water reservoirs across the country cross storage levels as at the same day of the lastyear.
International Political News:
1. American Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton accuses China of stealing/ hacking official US Government information. She has also accused China of establishing Military installations in disputed territories and threatening nations like Philippines.
2. The BRICKS and SCO (Shanghai Co-operation) summits get under way in UFA, Russia. India has been made a member of SCO also. The Indian delegation to the summits are being led by PM Narender Modi.
3. Arab actor and former Hollywood star Omar Sharief also known as the Arabian knight dies at the age of 83 in Cairo. He had played title role in Oscar winner Dr. Zhivago besides other world acclaimed films viz Lawerence of Arabia, Mackennas Gold and The Night of the Generals. He was a well-known Cards Player, his forte being the Cards game of Bridge.
1. Greece has rejected by a overwhelming vote the bailout offered to it in its economic crisis by the Eurozone.
Greece finance minister, hardliner leftist Yanis Varoufakis has resigned. PM Alex Tsipras is moving towards negotiating a new bailout package with Eurozone after the change of the finance minister.
2. A meltdown takes place in the Chinese stock markets. The Shanghai composite index tanks down by 6% in a single day. It had a phenomenal rise from 2039 on May 30, 2014 to 5166 on June 12, 2015. It thus rose nearly 150% in one year and attracted hordes of small investors. The Index is seeing a continuous decline since June 12, 2015 and was at 3507 on July 08, 2015. Alarm bells are ringing in the world stock markets over the collapse of the Chinese stock market bubble.
Science and Technology:
1. Researchers at the University of California, Santa Barbara, USA have invented an artificial pancreas for the diabetics. It measures the glucose level of a person and automatically releases the required amount of insulin in to a patient’s pancreas.
The device has been based on the use of algorithms software to monitor and deliver quickly when necessary, the required amount of insulin.
1. In the finals of Copa America played at the Nacional stadium, Santiago, Chile, the home team Chile has lifted the title, beating star-studded Argentina 4–1 in a shootout, after the goalless game had gone past extra time.
2. In the woman’s World cup soccer, USA beat Japan 5–2 to lift the trophy.
1. India eke out a 4 run win over Zimbabwe in Harare, capital of Zimbabwe. India scored 255 for 6 wickets in 50 overs and Zimbabwe replied with 251 run for 7 wickets in 50 overs.
2. In the 1st Ashes test played between England and Australia at Cardiff, England charge to a 69 run win. Brief scores: England 430 and 289 runs, Australia 308 and242 runs in both innings of the match.
Stuart Broad and Moen Ali were the star English bowlers in the match.
Tennis – Wimbledon Tournament
• The Wimbledon trophy for the men’s singles has been won by Novak Djokovic of Serbia. He beat Swiss Player Roger Federer.
• For the women’s singles trophySerena Williams at 33 years in age claimed her 21st grand slam and sixth Wimbledon title by beating Maria Sharapova.
• In the women’s doubles, India’s Sania Mirza and Swiss player Martina Hingis won the women’s double crown. This was Sania Mirza’s first ever women’s doubles grand slam title.
• In the mixed doubles, India’s Leander Paes and Swiss player Martina Hingis took the mixed double title.