National Political News:
1. A controversy has arisen over an alleged act of impropriety by the Indian External Affairs Ministry, in extending help in the shape of no objection to UK Govt. issuing travel documents to former IPL Chairman Lalit Modi, currently based in England, to enable him to visit Portugal reportedly for his wife’s operation suffering from cancer. It is believed that the Minister for External Affairs Sushma Swaraj and her family were known to Lalit Modi for long. Sushma Swaraj’s Daughter is part of the legal team defending Lalit Modi in various litigations.
Enforcement directorate (ED) is probing foreign exchange violations amounting to Rs.425 Crore in IPL TV rights awarded to World Sport Group (WSG) in 2009 by Lalit Modi as Chairman of IPL. Blue corner notice is pending at all Indian ports / airports issued by ED for his arrest and trial.
BJP Chief Amit Shah, Home Minister Raj Nath Singh and RSS have come out in support of Sushma Swaraj in the matter.
2. Chief Minister of Rajasthan, Vasundhra Raje is in crossfire because of Lalit Modi leaks in the news. Shares worth Rs.11.63 Crores are owned by Lalit Modi in her son Dushyant’s firm Niyant Heritage Hotels at Dholpur palace. The original Price of the Share is Rs.10 and has been sold at a premium of Rs.96180 /- each to Lalit Modi by Dushyant’s firm. Dushyant is a BJP MP from Jhalawar in Rajasthan.
3. Supreme Court of India has scrapped the All India Pre Medical Test (AIPMT) held in May this year and has directed CBSE to conduct it afresh for MBBS and BDS admissions to medical colleges. The May 3 test was vitiated by leak of question papers and the sale of answers at a price of over Rs.10-15 lacs as held by the investigation agencies.
An organised gang had used Bluetooth, fake mobile phones, sim cards, WhatsApp and other methods for the conduct of this crime.
4. The Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in Hyderabad is unhappy with Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan for failing to take action against Telengana Government in the phone tapping case and cash for vote scam. Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister of the ruling TDP is in eye of the storm. Andhra Pradesh and Telengana have a common governor and state capital Hyderabad under section 8 of the AP reorganization act.
International Political News:
1. United Kingdom holds the 800th anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta. Magna Carta is a w agreement written in latin on parch paper on June 15, 1215. It was a Charter of demands signed between the English King John and the rebel barons, which placed the monarchy within the ambit of law.
Magna Carta with its 63 clauses, later on became the basis for draft of the U.S bill of rights, the U.S declaration of independence and the universal declaration of human rights. Magna Carta was a source of inspiration to Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela in their quest for independence of their respective countries.
2. A 22 year old in Columbia, US kills 19 people at a Church in Charleston. His friends describe the 22 year old as a person who alternated with partying with black friends and then ranting against blacks to his white friends.
3. US missile strike kills Al Qaida’s No-2, 38 years old Nasser al Wuhayshi in Yemen. It is a major victory for America in its counter terrorism campaign after Osama Bin Laden was killed in Abbottabad, Pakistan on May 2, 2011.
1. Cash rich Cairn India is sought to be merged with Vedanta PLC as announced by Anil Agarwal, Chairman of Vedanta. The markets regard it as an opportunistic move, as Cairn India has a surplus of Rs.16,867 crores in its books and Vedanta a debt of Rs.77,752 crores excluding a $1.25 billion loan from Cairn India. Book value of Cairn India is Rs.180 per share and that of Vedanta Rs.140 per share and the swap ratio of 1: 1 offered by Vedanta Chairman does not justify that. LIC owns 9% of Cairn and Cairn Energy PLC of UK the original promoter still holds over 10%. The Barmer oil and gas fields are a crown jewel in the cap of Cairn India.
2. The likely Greek default in repayment to IMF of1.5 billion Euro is in the making at the end of this month. The likely default has made the world stock markets nervous. The Greek government lead by PM Tsipras is against the austerity measures proposed by its large lenders, the IMF and ECB.
3. Wholesale price index (WPI) fell 2.36% in May compared with 2.65% in April. This is the 7th continuous month of decline as per data released by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
4. The Supreme Court has directed the Sahara group to pay Rs.36,000 crores in 18 months to market regulator SEBI in 9 installments. The amount had been collected by Sahara from small investors in the shape of debentures. Refund schedule will start from the day Sahara Chairman Roy and his associate directors are released from Tihar Jail on paying the bail amount of Rs.10,000 crore in the shape of cash and bank guarantee against a Sebi complaint of duping small investors.
Science and Technology:
1. The Earth is in its 6th mass extinction phase as per a new study published in Journal Science Advances in America. Earth has seen 5 recognizable mass extinctions till now and the final one wiped out dinosaurs 66 million years ago.
1. The Single one of Cricket Match test match played between India and Bangladesh ended in a draw at Dhaka. India scored 462 for 6 declared in its first Innings. Bangladesh replied with 256 runs in the first Innings and were then made to follow–on. They scored 23 runs in 15 overs in the second innings before the match was called of because of rain. R. Ashwin and Harbhajan Singh were India’s star bowlers with 8 wickets amongst themselves.
2. At Southampton in England, New Zealand beat England by 3 wickets to win the third one day international and take a 2-1 lead in the 5 match series.
3. In Kingston, Jamaica, Australia beat West Indies by 277 runs on the 4th day of the 5 day test match to record a 2-0 win in the test match series. 1st test match was won by Australia in Dominica by 9 wickets last week.
1. Copa America soccer league being played in South America.
In a match played at La Serena town of Chile, Argentina drew 2–2 with Paraguay.
2. Brazil beat Peru 2–1 and Colombia loose to Venezula 1–0 in Temuco, Chile.
3. Mexico hold Chile to a 3–3 draw and Bolivia down Ecquador 3–2.
4. Brazil loose to Colombia at Santiago, Capital of Chile. Star Brazilian player Neymar has been banned for 4 matches as a result of fracas during this match. The tournament is thus over for him because of the ban.
5. In another match Ecquador beat Mexico 2–1.
6. Chile beats Bolivia 5–0 to enter the quarter finals.
5 time world Champion India’s Vishwanathan Anand defeated current World Champion Magnus Carlsen in Stavanger, Norway in Norway Chess tournament.